Whats better A Yak or Canoe

Gazza

I've been toying with this for Quite awhile I've paddled both and found a canoe heaps easier to paddle on smooth water

My only yak fishing trip was with a mate of mine who owns a 2 seater yak and a condo on bribe we set out all systems go paddled out to a channel marker fished with no luck Dems the brakes :(

long story short paddled back to the marina had a fish still no luck but holly hell the paddle back :S

Tide turned wind came up holey snappin duck shit batman took ages to get back and the drag of the yak seemed harder than any canoe I've paddled

Does a yak preform better in rougher conditions than a canoe ??

only had a canoe in smooth water but have paddled against the murray goin up stream

was thinking of one of the ones that take an electic or small outboard

Gaz

mate a good single person yak would be as easy if not easier to paddle than a canoe. yes yaks handle the rough stuff a lot easier. if your looking for a yak for fishing look at the sit on tops they are unsinkable and have so many options for mounting gear. chek out www.akff.net you will find a wealth of information there.

if you want a paddle sometime im sure myself or someone else could arrange a test paddle for you

Lee

\"Canoes can carry a lot more gear\"

That's a S*%! load of gear then feral. So much so that I would say you wouldn't use 1/4 of the gear on any given fishing adventure.

My kayak for example has a fairly large hull compartment, plus has the rear section for storage as well...

I've never used a canoe, but I'd opt for the kayak anyday.

Feral wrote:

Yeah but where do you put you esky (Lee's got a good setup though), tent, sleeping bag, etc etc :)

I see. Camping...

Esky goes on the back, along with my tackle bag.

Tent, sleeping bags, clothing, pillows spare rods etc goes in the hull. Rods in rod holders. Remember - the whole hull is a potential storage compartment :)

Gazza wrote:

I think you might be right Elli :(

Made a dozen or so of those SS lures ready for trebles and split rings was sure I had em on the kitchen table can I find em nope

I wonder where I put them DOH :blink:

Gaz

Haha mate, it's only a matter of time before you find yourself with wet slippers at NPD.:ohmy: :dry: :huh:

My mate nearly spent 3 grand on one of those top of the line Hogie paddle powered fishing kayaks. I talked him out of it. More fun to buy a blank canvas and add stuff on yourself i reckon. Was a pretty sweet rig though, it had everything but 3 large is pretty steep for a kayak.

Archived