Next Online Comp Species  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Next Online Comp Species

• Snapper
    • Long Tail Tuna
    • Tuna (All Species)
    • Tailor
    • Bream

After the success of the last online comp featuring bass as a target species (do not worry winners we will get you sorted out soon) we are wondering what species to have for a potential follow up...

We are thinking something during the months June-July (with May being the month to register)...

Below is a poll of some ideas but feel free to change/make suggestions to it...

Please also consider the feasibility of some species to easily entered by photograph etc...

If you have say Tuna or Snapper you will eliminate a lot of members from the comp as not everyone on here have boats and fish the bay/offshore.

Maybe 2 species could be used like Tuna and Bream which gives every member a chance to fish the comp.

You could use the secret length as a prize for the second species.

Agree with the above, it needs to be a species easily accessible by everyone on the forum, and remember being a nationwide forum now it needs to be a widespread species too, not so much a problem with the species listed above but something to keep in mind for future. I've gone for bream for those reasons.

If you have say Tuna or Snapper you will eliminate a lot of members from the comp as not everyone on here have boats and fish the bay/offshore.

Maybe 2 species could be used like Tuna and Bream which gives every member a chance to fish the comp.

You could use the secret length as a prize for the second species.

Just let the masses vote and see where it ends up - so far Tuna doesn't even have a vote ;)

Disagree with the suggestion it needs to suit everyone...

In fact that just excludes people who fish exclusively offshore...

The point of having more little comps like this going on is so there is something for everyone.

I do like aussie123's suggestion however of two species and maybe between the two more people will be satisfied. As my profile suggests though I learnt a long time ago to not try and please everyone, at least not in one hit.

Last time the online comp was Bass... Certainly not a desirable, known or easy target for many...

The more of these events/comps we have (to be dictated solely on community support) the more species/styles etc we can cover and the more people will be pleased :)

Angus

Mate stick Trevally in there, mainly January to June/July but will bite all year around. I've landed some high 60s landbased so definitely doable for both offshore and inshore based anglers.

Jew would be another choice for those months, also doable in comparable sizes both landbased and from a boat.

Mate stick Trevally in there, mainly January to June/July but will bite all year around. I've landed some high 60s landbased so definitely doable for both offshore and inshore based anglers.

Jew would be another choice for those months, also doable in comparable sizes both landbased and from a boat.

Done.

Just working out how I can edit my pole but will add those two when I can...

I agree bass was not every bodies cup of tea. I think when the site gets a lot more members from other states the comps will reflect this like the Pirtek challenge. The good thing about these is that you enter if you want to.

I reckon Trevally is a good choice - It can be fished from land and boat. God help us if Andrew 'on-the-chew" hooks up but how many times does he head out and not land one. I would be keen for it.

I would personally prefer tailor. My thinking being that it is VERY likely that over a 2 month period the winning trevally would be caught offshore which may/would therefore limit the number of entries (ie. if people were actually entering solely/mainly to have a chance of winning, unless they could get offshore they'd probably deep down know someone would catch one bigger).

Snapper would be possible to win in the bay from what reports I've seen over the last couple of years however the offshore boys would in theory have an advantage.

Tuna could be won by either a bay fisherman or offshore fisherman (well, around Brisbane anyway - I guess now we are AFO depending if it is the right time of the season it could be won by a 100kg plus fish from down south).

And for some reason I have a slightly negative attitude towards bream fishing - I think it stems from the fact that now I own a boat I'd rather chase snapper/squire where I have a chance to catch something bigger (although sadly it hasn't happened yet - lousy 43cm PB .....).

So I vote for tailor because they are plentiful and widespread and large specimens can be caught by both boat and shore anglers so should in theory lead to a large number of entrants who will all feel they have a similar chance of winning.

Just my opinion.

I agree bass was not every bodies cup of tea. I think when the site gets a lot more members from other states the comps will reflect this like the Pirtek challenge. The good thing about these is that you enter if you want to.

I reckon Trevally is a good choice - It can be fished from land and boat. God help us if Andrew 'on-the-chew" hooks up but how many times does he head out and not land one. I would be keen for it.

The odds are good atm he hasnt caught one since november :whistle:

I think hes losing the touch.

I reckon trevelly too. GC and tweed land based is firing for trevs atm.

Snapper should be good too theres heaps around atm. I have seen fish up too 85cm caught at well know spots in bay in past week n i have personally got a 79cm.

Its not that easy to catch big snapper offshore either.

You have to put in the hours for them.

Shane

I can not remember but wasn't the bass comp made up of two prizes? One for biggest and a random size. I realize that some of the species have the opportunity for the offshore boys to catch bigger specimens however the cost of the trip and prevailing weather conditions effect the number of opportunities to catch them.

From all reports lately the bigger snapper come from the Bay. Also from experience small fish have won AFO comps in the past.

Angus I reckon you should just pick a species that seems to be reasonably abundant at the time. If it just goes to a popular vote then you'll end up with the same few species over and over. If the species doesn't personally suit you for one comp then probably the next one will. At the moment there are tuna in reasonable abundance in SE QLD which doesn't happen all the time. If you're really keen then there are a stack of big southern blues being caught in Victoria at the moment. If you are land based there are big longies to be caught off the rock walls in northern NSW. Most of all, I'm going to Christmas Is soon and I am going to catch a massive yellowfin.... can sponsors enter??

Duncan

Fish Head

Hahaha Sponsors can enter Duncan as your advertisement has nothing to do with proceeds of this comp :)

I do agree with you as well.

I guess the best thing about this style of online comp is we could run a couple at the same time...

If we make the prizes a percentage of the entry fees the site cannot lose. For example we could have a bream, tailor and tuna comp running over winter, $5-$10 entry, 70% to the winner, 20% to the 2nd place or random length and the rest to the site to help us along.

In short, you could enter 1, 2 or as many species as were on offer...

Angus

Would like to see angler with fish rule deleted and also a clarification or what happens if 2 anglers submit same length fish and leader board issues sorted.

Cheers

Ray

Issues to resolve before the next one for sure Ray.

What would everyone suggest if you anglers had exactly the same measurement?

Split kitty? Coin flip? :P

Would like to see angler with fish rule deleted and also a clarification or what happens if 2 anglers submit same length fish and leader board issues sorted.

Cheers

Ray

First one entered wins or last one entered wins if suspense is wanted lol.

Cheers

Ray

My thoughts/

Coin flip

heads first one entered

tails

another coin flip

heads first one tails second.

Actually not showing the length on the leader board and having first one entered as the winner would encourage more entries over the whole length of the comp.

With lengths being shown if someone is only interested in the longest fish and they see a fish longer than theirs they will not post it. Same for the mystery prize if you see that someone has posted a fish the same size as yours they will not post.

Should encourage more entries over the length of the comp and prevent a flurry of entries at the last moment.

Cheers

Ray

I agree with Ray re the lengths not being shown on the leaderboard, it should encourage more entries. I think for random draw entries the same length why not just put the angler names in a hat and draw one out? It probably won't happen very often so that would be a quick and simple solution while still giving the eligible anglers a fair chance.

Reckon we have 4 different groups of fishos on site.

Fresh

Estuary and river

Bay

Offshore.

To be fair should rotate between groups.

Know that there is some overlap and some will feel left out if they cannot participate in some sections but overall everyone can be catered for.

Watdoyarekon?

Cheers

Ray

Archived