Glenlyon 22-09-07

Schultzy

Longtail Tony and I ducked down to Glenlyon on the weekend for a quick fish.

Chose to ignore the goldens and use only lures over about 130mm. Still ended up with 8 goldens caught on Vipers.

We did manage to score several solid cod and dropped two absolute beasts that each towed the boat around backwards for a while.

A nice weekend was had in spite of damn near freezing on Saturday morning before the sun came up.

Typical of Glenlyon we shared the place with heaps of wildlife, roos, goats, emus, wallaroos, red rumped parrots, etc.

Here's a pic of Tony with his best one landed for the weekend. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Tony_500pxl.jpg

post-108-144598427582_thumb.jpg

Viperon the Murray River cod is a fresh water species, lives west of the great Divide in the Murray / Darling river system. Minimum size is 60cm, and at that size they are about 9lb in weight. Huge fish are uncommon these days, but specimens to 6 or 7 foot were common once. Those ones in Schulzies photo's are good size fish these days!

They are closely related to the Mary River cod, also the Clarence and Brisbane River Cod (now thought to be extinct)

Glenlyon Dam is stocked with Murray River cod, and is about a 4 to 5 hour trip south west of Brisbane.

Schultzy wrote:

Here's a pic of Tony with his best one landed for the weekend. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Tony_500pxl.jpg

That's not a cod it's a BD fish - Look how fat the bugger is?:laugh:

Wow you guys are the toast today. My opinion of Glenlyon has just changed.:) Nice na very nice fish. B)

Did any of your fish have a Ugly stick with a diawa thread line attached to it? :blush:

Wow, so many comments and questions.

I'll try to cover them all in individual posts, just one tip, to avoid confusion, drop the word river from the description of this species. Just plain \"Murray cod\" helps to avoid confusing which species we are discussing. \"Mary River cod\" is an unfortunate choice of common name for the eastern QLD fish by DPI as it is just too similar sounding to Murray cod.

We got all but one of our cod trolling.

Not necessarily hard in amongst the snags though. Just troll where you reckon a cod may be living. Jimmy the path to cod enlightenment is a long one but requires little more than focus and determination. If we’d allowed ourselves to be distracted and fished for goldens on the weekend I’m sure we’d have caught no big cod, perhaps just a couple of littlies.

If chasing Maries at Somerset for example; stick to the rocky banks and around substantial trees, use big lures and don’t try to go 50/50 and try for some bass too just so you don’t risk going fishless. It might take all day or even a couple of days but one green fish makes the effort worthwhile.

Andrew,

Because there are some really big fish in the border lakes we go loaded for bear; 30lb braid and 50lb leader on our barra gear. We use a much heavier drag setting for cod than barra, purely to try to get the hooks into the big ones then to (try to) keep them out of the sticks. Cod might not jump but the have plenty of low end torque.

Don’t know how big the largest fish was. The only measuring device in the boat was a fold out Alvey ruler of 80cm but the fish was longer than that. We are much more focussed on getting a photo and having these fish back into the water in good condition to worry about measuring and weighing them. When we remember we’ll sometimes weigh one in the net. My best fish for the weekend cracked 20lb (weighed)and it was quite a bit lighter than Tony’s.

I can guess the weight of barra very closely but am hopeless with cod. One I got in NSW a couple of years ago I guessed at 40lb. Peter Newell (living legend) reckoned it was bigger than his best which weighed over 60lb.

Tony's fish would have been a whisker under the magic metre. No idea of the weight.

Schultzy wrote:

At the moment Glenlyon is at about 15% but launching is still no problem for a 2x.

Aaron, expect the lake to be extremely busy at the moment, school holidays are in full swing. Is Brendan going with you?

No mate he has to hold down the fort at work while I take the day off:laugh: , Do they water ski on the lake? If they do , I think I hear Lenthalls calling;)

Aaron H wrote:

jimmybob wrote:
:angry: jealous

I think Jimmy summed it up best there Brian, I have been given Monday off so was thinking Lenthalls but now might go down that way, I'll just make sure my missus attaches the rod in the holder properly, would not wnat any going overboard would we Brian:P

ouch:blush:

Mate it is too cold for water skiiers and the level was too low for the pests last time I was there. But like feral says it is fairly big -

P4270168AFO.jpg

Feral wrote:

Yeah they do Aaron, but only in a small area, Glen Lyon is pretty big!

I am figuring on a trip over summer, maybe we can do a AFO trip out there.?

Feral I'll be in that but when? January maybe or March? Feb is Lenthals, Oct Awoonga, Nov the day charter, Dec Brissy Classic. I might have to wag work:S

When is best time for monster cod apart from when Shultzy is there.:laugh:

Archived