Classifieds

demarc

Heya--

Went to post up a boat sale today and it asked me to subscribe as a club member??? Did I miss an announcement for this?

"Becoming an AFO Club Member means you can post items in the For Sale forum category. The AFO classifieds are a great way to sell your fishing and boating related items to the 11,000 members. Normal users will be able to reply and get in contact with you, but will not be able to create new topics to sell their items."

Heya--

Went to post up a boat sale today and it asked me to subscribe as a club member??? Did I miss an announcement for this?

"Becoming an AFO Club Member means you can post items in the For Sale forum category. The AFO classifieds are a great way to sell your fishing and boating related items to the 11,000 members. Normal users will be able to reply and get in contact with you, but will not be able to create new topics to sell their items."

No, official announcement hasn't been made yet. Will be made in the next day or two.

In brief, the AFO classifieds is a great tool for afo members to sell their items, but members get annoyed when a new user just posts something for sale and haven't contributed anything to AFO. Also AFO, whilst providing a great platform with a huge memberbase and an active site to sell items gets very little financial benefit to keep this running when it costs substantial amount of money to keep site running. This system addresses these issues.

Club Membership for $15 a year will mean that you are supporting AFO. Only Club Members will be able to post items For Sale (eg start a new topic). All other users can view and reply just not start a new topic. This means that even if a user makes their first post selling something they are still supporting AFO. For those users, that sell alot it is not a big fee for the ability to post items up for the year. For those users that don't sell much consider it a way of giving back to AFO.

Also, although the fee is $15, you can either pay with paypal (ie money) or with your accrued AFO points. So for those members who are regular contributors of the site and who are active they have accrued lots of AFO points. So they can use their points to pay for Club Membership so it won't actually cost them any money. More on AFO points etc soon as still finalising this system.

Hope that gives a quick overview of some of the new features coming to AFO

What you have said makes perfect sense, thank you John for the prompt reply.

Please keep in mind that Ausfish charges $10 a year and they have at least 10x active members then here.

I'll be taking this into consideration...

Gumtree going to start charging to post stuff up for sale too.

You going to send them email too saying ausfish has alot of members and charges $10?

I dont know why you comparing ausfish to here.

Theres alot of us members on there and here.

I dont see problem in paying $20 to use classified section.

Atleast they dont charge anything to be part of forum.

Please keep in mind that Ausfish charges $10 a year and they have at least 10x active members then here.

Gumtree going to start charging to post stuff up for sale too.

You going to send them email too saying ausfish has alot of members and charges $10?

I dont know why you comparing ausfish to here.

Theres alot of us members on there and here.

I dont see problem in paying $20 to use classified section.

Atleast they dont charge anything to be part of forum.

gumtree is owned by ebay, so that comes as no surprise. Hopefully they don't go down the tube. I don't mind paying if the value and audience is there. I gave ebay one last shot, but I'm over selling on there now.

I was quoting the ausfish figures so the admin can think of the price, that's all mate, no harm intended sorry.

Firstly, comparisons to other sites is not relevant.

Club Membership is not enforced. AFO is still on the whole 'free' to use and register. Nothing will change for the majority of users, all members will still be able to view and reply to all parts of the forum for free, however if you want to create a new topic selling an item in the classifieds then you will need to be a Club Member. So only those profiting from the site are being asked to support the site.

The next big thing to understand is that for alot of members who actively participate in the site (and hence have accrued alot of AFO points) then becoming a Club Member won't cost them anything. They can use their AFO points as payment.

This is a great incentive to others to participate more in the site and be rewarded for their interaction in the community.

Down the track, we are looking to roll out further benefits to Club Members like discounts in the AFO shop, discounted AFO advertising and possibly other benefits.

About time I say, I'm only too happy to pay to use the classifieds here.

One question though and it's only a small thing but I'll ask anyway, in the site rules I think there is something there about not bumping up for sale threads unless there is new information/price drops etc. Will paying for the use of the classifieds mean that we can now bump/promote our for sale posts (within reason) without updating them?

Im sorry guys but I joined this forum because it was free. If I have to pay I'll end up going going to a forum which has alot more users to provide a better "forum" experience.

ps if we have to pay does it mean that we wont get the ads on the website?

Whats the point of having a forum if you cant Ask questions only give answers?

You can ask as many questions as you want for free in all categories apart from the Classifieds category where you can only reply to topics created by Club Members.

The more you participate in the site, the more points you can accrue so becoming a Club Member can be free :)

Im sorry guys but I joined this forum because it was free. If I have to pay I'll end up going going to a forum which has alot more users to provide a better "forum" experience.

ps if we have to pay does it mean that we wont get the ads on the website?

I think you have missed the point of admins post above. It is not a cost to be a part the forum. Only if you want to sell something.

Archived