Monduran 2008

rayke1938

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the State Titles for the Etchells on 22/23 Nov and thinking of delaying trip by 2 days to make sure the event goes good. Or I could bugger off early and not worry about the problems. emmmmmm let me see.....stuff the Etchells, I'm going Barra Fishing.

Feral, I admire your approach but don't forget there is a cracking tackle store in Gin Gin that has everything you need plus a heap of stuff you don't (I'm a special for that crap).

Hey Rod - pack a swag and tag along or are you scared of big fish, I mean realy reel big fish :P

Warning - my wife has removed me to the spare room because I snore too bad :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a spare rod yesterday, extra lures arrived monday, all ready to go.

Lee, kept that quiet about breraking the rod, I dont remember that, was it kept quiet because we were giving you and Terry stick about either ending up skiing or breaking rods before the last trip? :laugh: (You know the one - where you trounced us in the barra catch !). :blink:

I remember the broken rod Feral but they kicked us boaties so bad I got nothing to say except this time I'm taking a yak. If you can't beat em join em. :woohoo:

I'm not sure how the other yaks are going to make it to the fish, if they are not at the wall it's a far hike up to the timber.

god am im getting excited i got some heavy braid a new small tackle bag and a couple of lures some trace and im done till the tackle shop up there convinces me to buy some more lures

i was hoping you had a sat nav brian as ive no idea where we are goiing this time not that it helped much last time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blush:

Feral wrote:

Bite your tongue! You'll be lucky if you can find room in the fourby with Brian's gear!

Jas don't listen to Ferral, bring what you want, I have changed. :) BTW do you mind sitting in the skipper seat of the boat for the trip up? I haven't packed anything in that spot ......yet!

Where did you get it Ray?

Hey Jas, you got 2 choises about the music on the trip, bring some or listen to mine :blink:

Fav band is pink flyod, fav artist is eric clapton, fav album would be unplugged, fav aussie band is acdc and I got a 6 stacker. So if we load it up down here with 6 cd's we wont have to change it to just before gin gin.

No disco allowed, gotta be in the mood for heavy metal and abba gets tossed out the window.

Any thoughts?

STU wrote:

:fishing: I will be there with andrew from the 28th Nov fri - sun tomcat dan and a mate is going on thurs we will be camping so should see you guys there. by then you should have them sussed out and tell us all your hotspots cheers:P :)

Stu, sorry mate I didn't quite get it, you are going to follow me around, pinching my fish zones and expect to catch fish? :silly:

You got it wrong for sure, it goes more like we'll spend a week finding all the spots where fish are not holding, waiting for you to turn up with your semi pro mates to show us how to do it. :ohmy:

Just let me know if you can hear my snoring and farting form the camping ground. :woohoo:

Sorry Brian thought I responded this morning but must have mucked it up. Got the last one from The Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo. They have more coming but I didnt ask when.

I think that they are available in Town or if you ring Foxy he will post to you.

Cheers

Ray

Brian D wrote:

Hey Jas, you got 2 choises about the music on the trip, bring some or listen to mine :blink:

Fav band is pink flyod, fav artist is eric clapton, fav album would be unplugged, fav aussie band is acdc and I got a 6 stacker. So if we load it up down here with 6 cd's we wont have to change it to just before gin gin.

No disco allowed, gotta be in the mood for heavy metal and abba gets tossed out the window.

Any thoughts?

so i guess my abba and iggy pop does the classics is not a welcome cd unless shortie brings his shotgun:P

Here is latest fishing report courtesy of Fisntales.

Lake Monduran Report

Water temperatures have been increasing in Monduran over the past week. 24 degrees was the average morning temp early in the week in the main river course, with water up to 28 degrees to be found at the southern end of the big bays like “B†and “Birdâ€Â.

Barra remain a bit elusive but a stealthy approach fishing the shallow bays and points in the mid sections of the dam has been producing fish. Barra seem to be holding in 10-12 feet of water so try casting and trolling 3m lures like Arafura barras, Classic barras and larger bombers. If working the shallows small bombers, B52’s and shallow Arafura barras have been working well. If hard bodied lures aren’t producing the goods try soft plastics as they can be worked from the surface layer all the way to the bottom. Berkley hollow bellies rigged weedless, Squidgy slick rigs and Bozo mullets have all been working.

Some ideas of what lures to bring along.

Cheers

Ray

Hey guys, we were there last weekend. Fished Sturday 11am to 9pm. Also Sunday 430 to 8am. No fish. 3 strikes, one follow, one cattie. All strikes were within 15minutes of each other on weedy shoreline in about 3m. Water temp was pretty high, between 23 and 29 just about everywhere on our sounders.

Not sure whether it's the same one, but we got a map from the canteen at the dam and it has heaps of markings etc. Only saw it for five seconds. Manboobs bought it for 15 clams then refused to let anyone else see it. Water clarity was down, way down, but i dont think that was a reson for poor fishing. Just super quiet. dudds_022.jpg

Dropped in for a looksee on the way to Rocky on Tuesday, there is a fair bit more water than there was last time we were there, the gravel ramp is totally under water, just the very top of the parking area left.

The ABT mob were there hogging up the ramp, filming. Gee it looked like the pits at the V8 supercars. Wallies in uniform swarming around boats lined up along the ramp, support cars in same paint scheme as the boats etc etc.

To bad if you wanted to launch a boat from the concrete ramp by the way. All the locals were around at the gorge area.

ABT - zero at that stage :evil:

From Foxies and a bloke in the shop stocking up on lures, they are getting a few up near the cattleyards at the moment, biggest 80cm.

Edit to add some water level pics

View of gravel ramp from top of concrete ramp

Pa280005.jpg

Close up of water level at Gravel ramp, with a handsome devil fishing for perspective ;)

Pa280009.jpg

Brian D wrote:

Oh crap - how long now? 2 weeks and 2 days. Just seeing the photos is a problem for me, I want to quit job, run away from wife and kids, sell house and wifes car so she can't follow me and go fishing.

How can I survive the next 2 weeks. :woohoo:

hide this comment from the missus :laugh: :laugh:

was just reading the report in BNB, notes from the article.

closed barra season is in effect, you may only be in possesion of one barra from the impoundments and must be bigger the 58cm no max limit in size.

also theres a new super IGA in Gin Gin so you guys can top up on supplies if ya have to while up there.

as for the fishing has been a bit slow for barra but alot of bass caught, the tip is the barra wil be heading towards the mouth to try and breed even though they cant its natural instinct so best chances are the main basin near the wall. just pick a lure to get you to the right depth. as for the casters water temps will be up. barra are cold blooded so if the temps are to high they will move to deeper water where it is more comfortable.try and find a bay with a channel or creek running through it that offers cooler water for barra to hang around in and if you find a spot that is close to a point or weedbed all the better. john "foxie" fox also says that hb lures like B52,arafura barra and richo and sps like berkley hollow bellies,strike king shadalicious and mans hard nose shad are paying dividends

sorry if i have preached to the learned but thought i would throw it up there for ya's incase you havent seen the report in BNB nov issue.

wish ya's all the best and totally jealous of ya's, i will get there one day.

kriso

Archived