2017 Seq Suburbs Of Origin - Round 1 - May 25-27

The Mad Hughesy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Congratulations Mexicans. 

Looking forward to the next round when all our injuries woes have passed. Back to full strength. 

Thanks Wayne :) Rumour has it the New South Wales selectors are considering a raft of changes with many unperformers heads on the chopping block ....... ;)

Just now, kmcrosby78 said:

Thanks Wayne :) Rumour has it the New South Wales selectors are considering a raft of changes with many unperformers heads on the chopping block ....... ;)

Woops I meant Northside selectors, bit of a typo there, not sure how I got them confused (I mean, as much as I hate them, NSW has actually won a game in recent-ish memory ......... ) :devil:

Yeah it's actually got me wondering if, given the low-ish participant numbers, we should look at running it over a longer period. One whole week, two weeks or possibly even the whole period between each actual (football) State of Origin games. There are advantages either way, but might include/tempt more people and would give us more of an excuse to go fishing .... :) @christophagus - thoughts?  On the flipside doing this may mean people forget about it and don't take the required photos, so maybe if it's not broken, we don't fix it?

2 hours ago, Luke Landrunner said:

My contribution is for the Tailor category....

Over a few sessions on the yak I managed to land 5 fish and lose atleast that again and 3 bite offs.

All fish were 40-43 cm, couldn't land a 50+:baby:  The foul hookup on this beast left a few battle scars on it.

P5250067.thumb.jpg.10b538bcdfd78e0901e551fc48ba5ede.jpg

Pretty stocky looking tailor Luke. On surface?

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

It is a zerek ripper diver, Kelvin. There is still one out there. I got sliced off twice and found the lure floating once so I reckon the other one is floating out there somewhere.

Thought it might have been one of those - will have to get some. Were you at Mud or front rockwall? I should really do it a bit out of Mud to try and suss the place out better (still feel like I don't really know it's layout well - which is codeword for I can't bl00dy work out where all the fish are!!).

Found navigating hard last night - my torch gave up on me, I thought my handheld GPS was lying to me and then realised it wasn't, but I'm still not sure I got as close to the island as I'd planned (same spot we went to that time). Had it all to myself and then over an hour period three boats came in between me and the island with bright lights (presumably squidding) making PLENTY of noise. One of them idled past barely 10m from the nose of my boat - can't have missed my anchor rope by alot. Amazing!!

Also, I caught this,anoyone got an ID? Looks like a deep sea species?

592aa5c95852a_Unidentifiedfish.jpg.419d9511b3ec0eaa5897f6e9b535bbab.jpg

Also had a rather strange thing happen - had two rods out, one with a prawn on a circle hook and the other a large herring on two ganged hooks. Got a fish on the circle hook, reeled in an undersized grassie, noticed it had collected the other line as I got it into the boat, then went to remove the hook from the fish and noticed that the ganged hooks (minus the herring but there were no signs of a bite?) had caught around the circle hook (ie. were dangling beside the fishes mouth). You'll see in the photo that one of the ganged hooks has been crushed. So I'm left wondering what went on? My only (or most logical) guess is possibly that a mud crab has grabbed it and managed to bend the hook?

592aa74ff305a_Benthooks.jpg.f328f3cf10884d67aad1c0d7648d0404.jpg

Unfortunately there was alot of phosphorescence around which I think made things quiet. There was however alot going on on the surface - upon reflection there was a lot of weed floating around due to the large tides so I'm wondering if the fish were attacking small shrimp and fish that were hiding amongst this?

Cheers for the ID Benno - strange looking creature and seemed to skitter off on the surface when I let it go (after contemplating turning into one or two large snapper baits ........ :whistle:). 

Yeah toadie is the other likely one, just strange that the rod didn't go off?

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yeah it's actually got me wondering if, given the low-ish participant numbers, we should look at running it over a longer period. One whole week, two weeks or possibly even the whole period between each actual (football) State of Origin games. There are advantages either way, but might include/tempt more people and would give us more of an excuse to go fishing .... :) @christophagus - thoughts?  On the flipside doing this may mean people forget about it and don't take the required photos, so maybe if it's not broken, we don't fix it?

I only have two days a month that are a lock for me so having it open for one month gives me a better chance to participate. 

14 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

im happy to do a full week if everyone else is?

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, Doyley said:

:frantics:  arrggh soo close again.  

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, Luke Landrunner said:

Yes um well done. 

I thought @Doyley had the longer bream..... A tight 1/2 cm. 

Geez, Northsiders caught short by half a cm again .......... :whistle: 

Yeah the channel out the front of lota is producing the a lot of 33-38cm flatties. Between Saturday and Monday pulled out 20 odd. Kept two legals on Saturday and the rest went back. 

Had crab pots in, three pots with the two keeper males and plenty of big females that went back 

Archived