Who Feels Gulps Left Behind

davostephens

yeah used to be one of mine too.. until

I was in bcf and z man were clearout for 5$ pack, so thought would give a go. 

My first cast on a paddlerz 5 inch scented bad shad saw a 8 kg mackeral come in.

then another, then a few small doggy mac. I went home and left the lure on my rod, It spent 6 weeks on my rod in the shed, Next trip out i dipped it in gulp juice for sh$ts and giggles, 9 kg cobia, 9 kg mac, 2 doggy mac, AND it was stil in good nik. then i lost it to a fish and the reef. But that one lure caught about 40 kg-50 kg of fish and the most brutaly toothed fish there is.. yes i put 5 cm of wire above my jighead.

When i used gulp i was lucky to survive one doggy mac strike, although they did sorta work. But never like this one did

I have been using gulps for some time. Jerk Shadz. They seem to tail curl or go moldy in pack once opened.

I also think they have changed there make up as a few years ago i used to get a couple fish on one gulp, now one bite or fish and there gone or ruined..

When i was in tassy 10 years ago in a spot in Bradys lagoon i got 17 good trout in a morning and arvo.. Ten years latersame time/lure etc everything, Not one.. But Thats not a real litmus test for them, But got me thinking im sure these things used to swim better

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well gave those Gobblers a go,

man they look great in the water, Swim well, BUT unfortunately one bite from a mac and they have had it.

Small school mac tore em up in an instant. I will still give them a run and use on tough days as I think they are a truly good product in appearances and swimming etc but on days when the bite is OK i will go with longevity of ZMAN.

One criticism is the heads on the paddler style are quite narrow and I found it hard to put them on a 1/2 - 3/4 oz jighead grub holder. and they looked odd and not streamlined when profiled to the lead jig head, but thats me. I mainly used the jerk shad style as the current was rippin that day.

Caught a few school macs on them but it was a slow day overall. 

6 hours ago, Luvit said:

Hi @davostephens,

I have not been on here basically since we took over Gobblers 5 months ago because we have been busy working on improvements in many areas of the business. Receiving all feedback is the best way to do this.

I do agree with you on the paddle tails being thin in profile and the jig head is larger when you look down on it. Ideally if I had designed them I would have made them thicker however, in saying that they have a great action and and when you lift them you can feel the vibration through the rod similar to a vibe. The Paddle style we have is more like a boot style which instead of just the tail moving it also gives the body a slow wobble roll on the retrieve as well.

Offshore I'm the same as you I mostly use Jerk Shads and if rigged straight, on a fast retrieve the tails beat just like a real fish and look amazing. The Zman have advantages as each different brand of lures do, it's a matter if the advantages they offer are the best for your style of fishing. Yes, I understand what you are saying about the Zman being durable and not many lures will stand up to scissor like mackerel teeth. If durability is top of your list on what you look for in a lure then Zman is probably your best option.

Some of the advantages our lures offer are; we have lures that change colour in different lights, you don't have to store them in there own individual bags to stop melting each other, they do not distort worm proof boxes, out of our 24 colours we have only 4 that have additives that will bleed on to other colours, you can store most of the colours together meaning far less storage requirement, we are available for questions and advice on what colour lures to use, we customize kits for customers, we will happily recycle plastics if customers would like to return them. The range of colour have been developed for the many varying conditions and bait fish we encounter in Australia. I have always been of the opinion that I spend a lot of money on the gear & boat, that when I throw a lure and want to catch a fish I go with what I think I have the best chance of getting a bite with. If this means I lose a SP on each fish I get I'm not so worried. I think it depends on the fish your targeting, I've caught 5 Trevelly on the one lure and other times I'll get 1 or 2 tuna on a lure where you have experience only one hit before having to replace them. I know of other brands I have tried and they are a lot softer than ours and every bite means a new SP, but many people swear by them.

We have some customers asking us to make the lures softer and others that ask they be harder. Over the years the formula of the plastic that Gobblers has developed is a happy medium between action and durability. Way before I was even involved with Gobblers Lures I used Zman and they catch fish no doubt however, for me personally I found them hard to push the hook through straight and very bouyant requiring a heavier jig head weight to compensate. The TT jig heads were developed for the Zman's because they were continually slipping down the hook and they required super gluing. As I said earlier all different Brands have Pros & Cons and you spend your money where you think it is most value. After a while I have worked out which jig heads suit the plastics I use and the way I fish them.

I do envy where you live with the variety and size of the fish you have available.

We appreciate the feedback and thank you giving us a go.

Good fishing to you.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks Wayne

I think they are a great product. just not as durable as i hoped or was told by someone on here.. But i am up against The most voracious brutal set of teeth out there. 

Best looking and colours i have seen.  The jerk shadz swim brilliant and track true. The tail is tops. Cant wait til you got the yellow tails as split colour models. And that colour change as you pull them past the boat was brilliant. I used the bluey green sorts that day.

I realy liked the 4 inch jerk shadz. I will keep using them as I believe when the going was tough they did the job when others werent doing so.  I did have a fair few hits on them but failed to hook up or was bitten off. The small school macs devastate my gear and wire on jig heads is a must for me. I will keep on using them as you just KNOW they are the goods. I just went thru about 12 lures for 4 small fish. i didnt realy use the swimmers that day as the current was up but feel they will be good. Perhaps when not running too hard i can use a small jig head and give them a good burl. 

Keep up the good work.