Fishing A Day In The Bay

AUS-BNE-FISHO

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Great to meet some new faces @GregOug, @Cavvy and @AUS-BNE-FISHO. We sure did cover some ground today, visiting @ellicat‘s catshark hotspots, and Greg and I searching for ellicatch after following the wrong boat 😅 at one point. Lots of pickers out there today, but the conditions were too nice to be disappointed about the lack of keepers. Great day everyone. Thanks for inviting me along, Greg.

No radios on board? I always carry some spare handhelds in the car (useful when convoying/4wd). If I'm running with some other boats and they don't have VHF radio the handhelds are a godsend when meeting up. Especially if one group is hooking up at Spot X

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

It was a beaut day to be on the water today. The marks I discovered turned out to not be a secret as each time we approached a spot there were already plenty of boats there....and I mean plenty. The West Peel artificial was a real carpark and I'm sure the amount of traffic shut down the fishing.

Mint day out in the bay but still surprised with a midweek carpark. Wait until you see a reel car park in the bay during weekends.

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

It was a beaut day to be on the water today. The marks I discovered turned out to not be a secret as each time we approached a spot there were already plenty of boats there....and I mean plenty. The West Peel artificial was a real carpark and I'm sure the amount of traffic shut down the fishing.

When we headed to South Peel there was only one boat down there and, you guessed it, right on spot x again. So we motored wide to another mark where we managed the few undersize target species.

We did notice @Old Scaley on fire getting heaps of squire and I believe some on plastics just for some variety.

Nice to meet you @GregOug and the boys. That rig is an awesome piece of gear.

@AUS-BNE-FISHO and @Cavvy, nice to spend the day together and you are certainly welcome back...with some better catching results hopefully.

No donuts on board today, but I did finish in the negative due to the grinner.

I've found that on days when conditions in the bay are mint fishing to be generally tougher. My theory is on mint days the clear waters and the corresponding boat traffic make the fish spook more easily.

Are you typically fishing at anchor or on the drift in the areas you fished today?

How did the Fishfinder go today?

We did a couple of drifts but mainly anchored due to the boat traffic.

Going for another session today but starting a tad earlier. We'll see if we can beat some of that traffic.

The Lowrance and me went well together and the detail helped us land on the right spots (even though they weren't firing).

We had radios, but Greg's wasn't working unfortunately. Phones had to be the choice of communication.

12 hours ago, GregOug said:

Thanks Ellicat, Old Scaley, Cavvy and Hamish for a great day out. Must do it again. Old Scaley,  for the record I used 53 litres of fuel, which considering we were racing all over the bay looking for Ellicatch, was pretty good going in my books. And we must bring Hamish more often guys cause he does the trip report for us!

Hey GregOug

Yes, we must. It was great fun. It's also good you didn't use to much fuel considering you were driving around quite a lot! 🙂 

I'm happy to do the report every time.

12 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Great to meet some new faces @GregOug, @Cavvy and @AUS-BNE-FISHO. We sure did cover some ground today, visiting @ellicat‘s catshark hotspots, and Greg and I searching for ellicatch after following the wrong boat 😅 at one point. Lots of pickers out there today, but the conditions were too nice to be disappointed about the lack of keepers. Great day everyone. Thanks for inviting me along, Greg.

Hi Old Scaley

Yep, it was. The catshark was great fun. They sure go hard on light gear. 

The glassy bay certainly made up for the lack of fish 🙂 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sounds like a fun day out fellas - sure beats painting a house ...... 🤨  Hopefully tomorrow our reptilian housemate doesn't decide to check on our progress ......... 😬

Hey kmcrosby78

Yep, fun day it was. That snake looks very big, hopefully he doesn't cause any problems! 

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I've found that on days when conditions in the bay are mint fishing to be generally tougher. My theory is on mint days the clear waters and the corresponding boat traffic make the fish spook more easily.

Hey Hweebe

Yeah, I think that is a good theory. Like ellicat said above, school holidays were probably a good bet to why there were a few more boats than there usually would be on a weekday.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

Going for another session today but starting a tad earlier.

Hey ellicat

Ya do OK today? Hopefully you got a few snapper/mackerel (whatever one you were targeting). I went out this arvo... Only got the river equivalent of a grinner - dirty catfish 🤮

59 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Great day out. What a legendary crew. Well done. 

Thanks for a great report too. 

Hi Drop Bear

Thanks for that, yep, legendary crew it was 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 🙂