Suburbs Of Origin 2020 - Competition Rules And Details

The Mad Hughesy

2 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Yes. Only day 3. My freezers are full at the moment anyway so I’ll wait until near the end and see what size fish I have to buy in each category to win.

Im sure you will have the Taylor, Bream, Whiting, Flathead categories nailed on the Fraser trip. You could even win the Jew and Cod if you get lucky. 

21 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I can’t wait to catch a monster 50cm bream for team north 

Hi Breaming with bro

Jeez, that would be the fish of a lifetime. I think a 40cm model is hard enough to beat! Hopefully you can crack it soon.

Before COVID-19, my family used to pretty much annually go to Brunswick Heads for a fish. The tackle shop owner (new tackle shop) has a PB breambo of 49cm, on chicken apparently. It may have gotten bigger since the last time I've been there though. 

Cheers Hamish

Yeah my friend found a set line once at my local spot that had been there for only god knows how long pulled it up to remove the line out of the water and a very deeply hooked over 50cm bream still alive come up that’s why I hate set lines so much because trophy fish can be caught on then and then Have to go throw a slow painful death as they die from deep hooking also ducks and other animals easily get tangled in them 

9 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah my friend found a set line once at my local spot that had been there for only god knows how long pulled it up to remove the line out of the water and a very deeply hooked over 50cm bream still alive come up that’s why I hate set lines so much because trophy fish can be caught on then and then Have to go throw a slow painful death as they die from deep hooking also ducks and other animals easily get tangled in them 

That's sad and amazing at the same time, Breaming with bro.

I'd be quite angry at the people who set the line. What is the point, honestly?!

Cheers Hamish

Was hoping for a mackerel upgrade or snapper in the yak this morning! Got out to where I wanted to fish and a squall came through... I capsized in some horrendous wind vs tide s***. Bit scary with no visibility due to the rain. Nevermind, made it in safe and most things dry except for a new $500 combo I didn't lanyard

20 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Was hoping for a mackerel upgrade or snapper in the yak this morning! Got out to where I wanted to fish and a squall came through... I capsized in some horrendous wind vs tide s***. Bit scary with no visibility due to the rain. Nevermind, made it in safe and most things dry except for a new $500 combo I didn't lanyard

could have ended worse mate!

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Hey samsteele115

Holy crap! That would've been pretty hairy. I've only been in a sit in kayak in small swell (trying to get used to going over swell) and flipped as I was coming back in. It was hard to get the sand out of my hair that night 😉 

I have never capsized in the ocean with the yak loaded up. Expert tip about tying things on with lanyards. I suppose the only reason I don't do it is because we're rarely in rough conditions. I should probably fashion some so it makes it easier. 

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

**** mate. Us Northsiders will let you win the comp rather than taking risks like that! At least you’re safe. 

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Another safety note, I also carry a marine radio, PLB, mirror, knife, pliers inside my life jacket. Good peace of mind if i ever got seperated from the yak. I saw today how easy that could potentially happen... scary 

Ooh, some good tips there too samsteele115. You really are da man for this sort of stuff! 🙂 

Also, @ellicat, I see you have the link to the site rules just below whatever you post, and I've seen different things like that for other members. How do you get that on your posts (if you don't mind me asking, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how. Lol.). 

Cheers Hamish

9 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Ooh, some good tips there too samsteele115. You really are da man for this sort of stuff! 🙂 

Also, @ellicat, I see you have the link to the site rules just below whatever you post, and I've seen different things like that for other members. How do you get that on your posts (if you don't mind me asking, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how. Lol.). 

Cheers Hamish

PM sent.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

PM sent.

Lol. Thanks ellicat. I was making this series of photos as you sent it 🤣

Pike meme.docx

Cheers Hamish 

P.S. Don't be offended Northsiders. I would never catch one of you 😉 (unless you're a pike, eel, pike eel, blah blah)

P.S.S. Sorry if I offended anyone (for real). I mean it 100% as a joke

4 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

@Old Scaley when I bought the yak I jumped on YouTube and watched a plethora of vids on how to right a capsized yak. So thankfully I knew exactly what to do and had it flipped and jumped back on within 10 seconds I reckon. It's similar to getting out of a pool in the deep end... If you cant push yourself up and out onto your belly in one go, you won't be able to get back onto a kayak which is probably even harder due to the instability factor. 

I'll have to look at some vids Sam as the only times I have used my kayak (Prowler 4.1m) have been when on holiday at Noosaville and I haven't taken the time to practice capsizing and re-boarding. I've paddled across the river quite a few times and it can get choppy plus there is always boat traffic, so I really should have a go and confirm that I will be able to get back on 🙂 

4 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I'll have to look at some vids Sam as the only times I have used my kayak (Prowler 4.1m) have been when on holiday at Noosaville and I haven't taken the time to practice capsizing and re-boarding. I've paddled across the river quite a few times and it can get choppy plus there is always boat traffic, so I really should have a go and confirm that I will be able to get back on 🙂 

And if you can’t?