Brisbane River Session #61 And #62

AUS-BNE-FISHO

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Since my tennis match was cancelled yesterday arvo, I decided to go out for a session on the river. It was supposed to storm pretty bad again, but I made the call to head down anyways and try for something. I loaded up the cart with all my gear and was soon off, arrived at a bit past 2:00PM. It was really muggy at first, and I was actually boiling in my raincoat which I had on just in case it got a bit too wet. I baited the lines with mullet, and prawn, and began some cast netting.

On my second throw, I had a really good prawn which got out. Then again, on my forth throw - that was darn frustrating as no more prawns were caught for the rest of the day (by me at least anyway). The sky started looking really threatening, and I was hearing some fairly loud thunder and lightning. Just as it was about to rain, and about 15-20 minutes after the salmon line was deployed, I saw it hunched over going off. I got down to the jetty as quick as possible and started the fight. After tightening the drag, I began pulling it in. It wasn't taking massive runs, but it had very solid head shakes and was seemingly trying to shake/spit the bait. Shortly into the fight (well not really, I was just about to see the bugger), it took it's first and only run. I kept pumping, but then heartbreakingly, the line went slack. It had spat my bait 😞. I cranked the mullet up, and even though I had my money on a little bully, I realised it was a catfish (or most likely) as the line was slimed up. 

IMG_1984.jpg.40228fba81423aac2a17a6dcea1e478f.jpg

Slime and chewed bait

After about 2 minutes of losing that fish, the wind and rain picked up. Like last time, I stayed under shelter in the mangrove tree overhanging the boardwalk. I saw a bigger splash eventually, (bust up???), but then I realised what the white stuff falling from the sky was - hail! It was a bit hectic in this part, and as well as just losing a rig to a snag (and some newspaper floating in it's plastic bag), I was getting colder and colder. None of the hail stones were particularly big, but it's the first time I've seen good hail in AGES. 

IMG_1990.jpg.7a9186ce9d2b78b5184386dca387815f.jpg

Lucky it didn't hit me!

With my hands over my head, just in case a big chunk of ice decided to fall on me, I went to check the lines. They all had no action, except the rod I had put out deep which seemed to be nibbled away. I re-casted it, and got back to sheltering from the storm. It was still raining and hailing, and my dad called me and told me I needed to go home. Since they seemed to be biting, and it was raining too hard or anything like that, I didn't. My dad said he was on the way now, so we could get home before the next big storm hit. Part of me wanted to go home (well a really, really small bit), but the majority of me wanted to keep fishing. My dad got down and after a lot of negotiating I was eventually made go home. While we were waiting for the hail to pass though, I noticed that the rod that had mullet out on it was bending. Luckily the majority of it had passed now, so we got down there and the fight started. 

It wasn't an excellent fight, but it wasn't dragging along the bottom - it was in the middle/top of the water column. After some good head shakes, obviously the shark trying to get away, I saw the shape. It was a shark alright, and despite the bad tangles my dad still netted it up fine. Yeww! That's the first for the season!

IMG_1993.jpg.2ff44d4642cb9bad76295935a48fcff3.jpg

70 odd?

IMG_1995.jpg.58f5784d4963f4106038f230fce81620.jpg

I'm all good at holding 'em now

IMG_1994.jpg.018eb8ea27d95b5f1d70e7d43a2b841d.jpg

Jaw shot

After I put that shark back (he wasn't tired at all and kicked off practically before I put him in the water), I packed up the cart and set off again. At home, I re-rigged all the lines I needed and waited out the storm. It was a pretty miserable hour or so, but soon enough I was back down with some more bait. I deployed a lighter line with 12lb and eel to try for a shark on that one as it would be good fun, and put the other line out as well. Special Guest water Dragon made an appearance too.

IMG_1992.jpg.e216e74e049358c39f841bd263ad6c3d.jpgIMG_1991.jpg.5666776f3650965d5bbd8fd4fb36acc5.jpg

Clearly sheltering from the storm

I was doing some cast netting now, and even though I wasn't getting much I did get this breambo. It looked like it had either had a chunk taken out of it by a toothier predator, or it cross bread with a snapper. Lol. It gave a good tug in the cast net and I was actually hoping it was a bony bream, not a yellowfin, so I could make it into shark baits, but it was released after a quick measure - 

987999744_IMG_1998(1).jpg.685c1b00ded769c5acf0760fb2ff914d.jpg

Weird bream

IMG_1999.jpg.bc4fd3b0c51225aca80acf719fd2589b.jpg

Close up

It didn't take long for me to get my first nudge on the eel, but it was only a nudge. It seemed the shark was only toying around with it, and soon after the bait was dropped. I reeled then line in, and casted back out. I was still giving the other lines the odd check, but surprisingly the salmon line with the mullet did not want to go off. The lighter line was hit yet again, this time the shark seemed to just play with the bait for a while. It wasn't taking it, so I kept a really loose drag ready for it to swim off with my bait. The fish dropped it, and I'm starting to wonder whether using eel makes the fish far more apprehensive than, say, a poddy mullet. 

After some more bait checking, the light rod went off, again. This time, the shark was running with it. I thought I gave it enough time to scoff down the bait, and I didn't want to get spooled seeing as this reel doesn't have the most line on it. It was running for about 10-20 seconds, but when I tightened up the drag and started fighting it seemed as though I was on. I got three pumps in, and either it spat the hook or I pulled the hook, but the line went slack. Back came some eel (shows how tough it is) and my rig. Sigh.

My dad was down quite quickly after this, and apart from the shark, it was a really quiet day. Like he always does, he gave the cast net a go. In the first few throws he was getting some mullet, and herring, which are now in my freezer, but on one of the throws he got something pretty good! He felt some tugging, and knew it wasn't normal. I thought they were just glassies, but when he saw what was in the bottom pocket he yelled at me to get down there! To my shock, it was a humongous mullet! I was planning on keeping it, and after a measure I was bringing it up for a shot. Unfortunately this mullet made up it's mind - *Slip, Slip! Bang, Bong, Flip! Splash, Splash!!!*. By, Mr Crab Pot bait 😞 

IMG_2001.jpg.a4c223def97bbafc819d30d92816468f.jpg

Solid Mully

IMG_2003.jpg.3f63f7d9469f0b86c477cb4635394293.jpg

50cm - my dad's new PB

The mullet was released to become crab pot bait later, and my dad headed off after getting some more herring. While dealing with the mullet, the salmon line was buckled over, but unluckily the hooks did not connect and this fish was not landed. It was a lot better hit than all the others though, which is a minor pity. 

I packed up and left shortly after that, and overall was pretty satisfied with that session. Hail, rain, lightning, sharks - pretty good going! 😉 Here are the stats of the trip for anyone interested. Oh, and I should mention - there were a group of crazy teenagers doing somersaults of the back of the jetty to clean up after running around in the mud. Bit risky if you ask me!

Stats of trip - 

Tide: 10:41AM, 2.1M, High, 5:00PM, .4M, Low, 10:45PM, 1.9M, High

Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous, so not too much run (but a fair bit)

Tackled Used: 12lb, 14lb, 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb, 30lb, 80lb mono/fluorocarbon trace, 4/o suicide hooks, size 6 and 2 ball sinkers, large-ish barrel swivel, size 2500 Diawa Shinobi and Shimano Nasci, Size 5000 Jarvis Walker Sovereign, 8'8" Ugly Stik, 6'6" Abu Garcia Veritas, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod.

Bait used: Mullet, herring, little bits of prawn for a little while

Bait caught: Herring, mullet, glassy

Fish caught: Bull Shark x 1

Humidity: 96%

Rain: The fresh was around, with many arvo's of storm and hail on the day. So lots. 

Overall Success Rate: 75% - good fun

Hope you enjoyed - now to the next one (a real disaster even though I got some fish)...

I had a 'Halloween' party of at the neighbours first up, which was really just a get together, but it was good fun, so I set off a bit later today at about 3:00PM. I got to the park, deployed the lines the same as yesterday, and got fishing. It was pretty hot, so I was drinking quite a bit - only going to get worse the further we go into Summer though. The lines were deployed and for about the first 20 minutes nothing happened - then the unthinkable.

I saw a tinny, with a full family, speeding down the river (Two bubs, mother, and father). They were going at speed, and they went alarmingly close to the jetty (not slowing down). About 1.5M away from crashing and some serious damage, they swerve away from the pylons. Then the bloody idiots catch my line, which they can clearly seeing, in there prop. I start yelling at them at the top of my lungs ("OI!!! THAT'S MY LINE!!!") and about 100-200 metres away from the jetty, they stop, and the clown driving the thing unwrapped my line from the prop. The bait was gone, but my rig was left, luckily.  I think it's very lucky these clowns didn't get hurt. Seriously, going max speed with little kids in - I'd like to ask him if he even had his boaters license???

After about 20 minutes or so from that drama, just when I was about to start cast netting, I saw the salmon line bend. I ran down, in question if it was still on, but when I picked it up... Well... The fight was on! The shark was once again in the middle-top of the water column, and this one had some more go in it. I was pulling him in, but then he went for the structure. I got him out though, and a man and his family walking past kindly brought down the net and did the honours. It was about the same size as the one I got yesterday, and since it swallowed the hook I still had to cut the line. It went off into the drink fine after a brief swim, for me to catch next time 🙂 

spacer.pngIMG_2006.jpg.05d9d9f74a6e866ab182137ebe4e6328.jpg

De-hooking

IMG_2007.jpg.8469390376b8f8b74feede8ddebee0cc.jpg

You can't see my ugly mug in this one but you can see my toothy friends' mug!

IMG_2009.jpg.ed15aec6c792afa678f0ab441e45acfe.jpg\

Released soon after

After the shark was released, the bite went quiet. I was talking to the odd person, but then this guy walks up to me (maybe 25) and asks where my parents are. I'm still angry about this event but won't rant about it too much... (it involves greenies). He says that you can't fish here, hurts the fish, etc. Then as he's walking away, he picks up my cast net and goes! What the hell!

I start yelling, very angry, and then he comes back. I tell him if he gives back my net I'll leave (might've been a bit more game than that if I had a mate but he was muscly and tall, so could probably just smash someone like me in a second if he felt like it), so he makes me go, pack up, and then I just got kicked out of my favourite fishing spot by some dumb, idiotic, uneducated greenie! That was my session ended, with one very PEEVED Hamish. Now, I'm going to email the council about this.. And well, see what I can do. Of course there was more, but no need to go into what the worthless crap they were saying was. 

I slowly trudged home, about as annoyed as possible, hoping that they would fall into an endless pit (Lol). I ended up getting home as one very sad boy, and have not been doing to much this arvo. I wish the greenies would actually do something that is helpful, like, maybe, tell those who keep undersize fish!

Well that's the rant over, and otherwise I hope you enjoy the report. Thanks for reading, here are the stats - 

Stats of trip -

Tide: 11:15AM, 2.2M, High, 5:34PM, .4M, Low

Moon Phase: Pretty much Full - a fair bit of run

Bait caught: -

Bait used: Poddy mullet, herring

Fish caught: Bull Shark x 1

Air pressure: Around 1016

Tackle Used: 12lb, 14lb, 30lb braid mainlines, 20lb, 30lb, 80lb mono/fluorocarbon trace, 4/o suicide hooks, size 6 and 2 ball sinkers, large-ish barrel swivel, size 2500 Diawa Shinobi and Shimano Nasci, Size 5000 Jarvis Walker Sovereign, 8'8" Ugly Stik, 6'6" Abu Garcia Veritas, Size 2M Rogue Firepoint boat rod.

Humidity: 60%

Rainfall: Not much, but still a fair bit of fresh around

Weather: Nice blue sky, mildly cloudy

Overall Success Rate: 20% - would be higher if it weren't for those greenies

Cheers Hamish

Good job buddy

20 hours ago, ellicat said:

A couple of successful sessions, Hamish. Well done.

Shame about the encounter with the zealot, but you're probably safer to not argue against closed minds and just go home.

Thanks Brian, I would've stayed if I had someone down there with me, but seeing as though he wasn't budging, I just ditched it 😠.

20 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Good job buddy

Cheers Sneaky, hopefully the warmer it gets the hotter the fishing gets 🙂 

13 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

google saddleback bream

Ring 000 if you feel threatened

Cheers Ray

Hi Ray

Thanks for that - looks like I caught my first fish with Saddleback Syndrome - I will start calling them bobbies (bream + knobby snapper = bobby).

Ringing 000 didn't cross my mind - better have a rethink of what to do in one of these situations. 

12 hours ago, Junky said:

Good job Hamish. 

Typical behaviour of that sort of person. Picking on smaller, weaker prey. 

One thing kids have over these twerps is the ability to scream loud. 

Now if you happened to scream "PERVERT" or even just "HELP" at the top of your lungs repeatedly I reckon this numpty would have legged it.   

Please don't let this clown deter you from your park. I enjoy your reports. 

Hi Damo

Yeah, I'm sure if someone the same size as him was there he wouldn't be nickin' anything! That's a really good idea - especially if he does come close to me and try to touch me (because that way it is 100% truthful). There's no way I'm not going to fish there anymore either, I'll probably just be more inclined to fish with a mate, the father, or hopefully not him!

10 hours ago, christophagus said:

well done mate

Cheers Chris

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So sorry to hear this Hamish. Do you have a phone with you? If I was you next time I would call 000 straight away. That  person has no right to do that and if you felt endangered you should call 000. I think you handled it pretty well, getting away from them is a good idea. If you can film them it would help as well. 

Glad you got some fish. I'm sure the person would have been more upset if I was there as I would probably taken the sharks for dinner. 

Hey Robbie

Yep, I had my phone. I was going to text my dad but I had wet hands and he kept telling me to hurry up and that. I will have to have 000 ready next time just in case.

I'm planning on keeping a small bully this Summer, but hopefully will not contract a deadly Brisbane River virus which will put everyone in quarantine all over again (bad joke 🤣). 

For a note to everyone - I don't want this to just become about the greenies. The thing I find most crazy is the fact I got two sharks already in the season, and those hoon boaters!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

You seemed to start getting the sharks as the water is warming up now and the sessions sound like their getting better good job on those sharks and that bream has saddleback syndrome probably around 5-10% of the bream I catch have this it’s not that rare. And yeah some others already told about saddleback lol I’m usually the last or first person to read these reports but technically I was one of the first to hear about it .I think the same day I caught the flathead on a vibe you messaged me and said you got a shark in the hail .And yeah people like that really piss me off i haven’t Delt with any yet luckily but my best advice Would be just to tell them to go away or talk to them politely and if they don’t go away call the police I know that sounds extreme but it will likely make them go away and people have no right to in force their silly opinions on anyone. In most case words will be enough and it’s best to try and stay relaxed and not panic as hard as that sounds

On 02/11/2020 at 9:45 PM, Breaming with bro said:

You seemed to start getting the sharks as the water is warming up now and the sessions sound like their getting better good job on those sharks and that bream has saddleback syndrome probably around 5-10% of the bream I catch have this it’s not that rare. And yeah some others already told about saddleback lol I’m usually the last or first person to read these reports but technically I was one of the first to hear about it .I think the same day I caught the flathead on a vibe you messaged me and said you got a shark in the hail .And yeah people like that really piss me off i haven’t Delt with any yet luckily but my best advice Would be just to tell them to go away or talk to them politely and if they don’t go away call the police I know that sounds extreme but it will likely make them go away and people have no right to in force their silly opinions on anyone. In most case words will be enough and it’s best to try and stay relaxed and not panic as hard as that sounds

Hey BwB

Thanks for that, it was the first time I've ever seen anything like it (out of all the bream I've ever caught) so I was quite surprised to say the last... And I'm keeping the name bobby too. Lol. 

It is good you got the flatty, it was a nice one, hey! Calling the cops would probably be my last resort, but I'll sure think about it if this happens again. My mate who normally fishes with me, well, he would be a different story - I think it would've ended along the lines of a certain finger and someone being told where to go. Haha. 

On 03/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, GregOug said:

Hamish, I’ve been thinking for a while when reading your reports that it isn’t all that safe you fishing by yourself in these isolated locations. You really should have someone else with you. It’s not your fault. There’s a lot of crazies out there these days. Always err on the side of caution, like you did today.

Hi Greg

Well, yes - there is always that issue. But normally there is someone walking by about every five minutes, and it is only about 800 metres away from my house, so it isn't to isolated. I guess it is about the chance that I will be alone and no one will walk past. My solution now is to make sure I always have one or more mates with me, so at least we have fair numbers if something goes wrong. 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Sorry for responding a bit late.

Just now, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

My mate who normally fishes with me, well, he would be a different story - I think it would've ended along the lines of a certain finger and someone being told where to go. Haha. 

And I suppose doing something like that may only get you into deeper trouble as they may turn around and just whack you! (Quite Frankly).

Cheers Hamish

26 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

And I suppose doing something like that may only get you into deeper trouble as they may turn around and just whack you! (Quite Frankly).

Cheers 

Not sure if I should putting ideas in your head but if you carry an esky for the fish empty a tray of ice cubes in there and sprinkle a heap of salt on the ice cubes. The next time an idiot harassed you stick one of the ice cubes in a slingshot and let him have it,  me and my brother used to stick salt balls in our air rifles and shoot each other and it stings like you would not believe.  I know times are different now but sling shots are not illegal. Look after yourself buddy 

Hey Hamish, thats another great little write up mate. Keep at it and you will be writing for the fishing mags before you know it.

Plenty of good tips here about that knob that hassled you. Next time when someone asks where are your parents just say. Dad's just gone to the dunny and should be back in a minute. That will buy you some time to suss the situation and get an escape plan ready.

Keep up the reports mate.