My first live fibre

GregOug

36 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Yeah. I wonder if they’ll sponsor us and give us freebies? 🤪

The length of rod was the one recommended to me by my mate from BCF when he first showed me the spot and method for catching grassies and it certainly works. Can’t wait to try the new rod out on them.

Congrats @GregOug their tough as nails , I have never had one of mine fail on a fish in the 25 years I have been using them . Even the guide at png has switched to the venoms now,  I still get the odd email from him raving about the black bass his clients are landing . I hope it serves you well and provides many feeds.

3 hours ago, Kat said:

Hey Greg.  It was a pain in the proverbial having a long rod on the boat.  I am wondering why your mate said to buy such a long one?  Has he explained to you?

Cheers Kat

Hi Kat and Junky,

He did explain it to me. The use of a 10’ 6” rod is for a specific type of fishing from a boat. It is not for general everyday use. It is only for fishing in shallow water, for specific species of fish.

cheers

Greg

10 hours ago, Kat said:

Hey Greg.  It was a pain in the proverbial having a long rod on the boat.  I am wondering why your mate said to buy such a long one?  Has he explained to you?

Cheers Kat

Hey Kat. He didn’t tell me to buy any rod. He just said a 10’ 6” rod is ideal for the type of fishing he was showing me. I already had an old 10’ 6” Wilson Bream Reaper which is my favourite rod ever. I just decided to buy a second rod for other people to use on my boat. I bought the live fibre because of the recommendations of others on here. 

10 hours ago, Junky said:

Nice rod. 

Firstly, I am in no way critical of the rod. They are a fantastic piece of kit well built and will give you years of service, however I am critical of the advise given with regards to rod selection.

I am assuming you told the lad you were fishing from a boat? 

Hi Junky,

My mate is not a ‘lad’. He is in his forties. And he knew I was fishing from a boat because I followed him out in my boat to the spot he showed me. He is also a very experienced fisherman who gives fishing talks at boat shows, fishing club meetings etc. And after five minutes of advice on rod, reels, tackle, bait, method etc to use I caught more grassies in an hour or two than I have in the rest of my life!

Anyway, no biggie. Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated.

cheers

Greg 

21 hours ago, ellicat said:

It's a long way back to get the boat if the weather is good. 😛😂

Gold. My boat tows really well so it never bothers me. It is a lot lighter than a glass one though. 

We did have problems with Quampi Pear the other day when stupid drop bear decided to do a u turn and bend 2 wheels........ WE had about 1 ton of oyster shell in her at the time that didn't help. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Gold. My boat tows really well so it never bothers me. It is a lot lighter than a glass one though. 

We did have problems with Quampi Pear the other day when stupid drop bear decided to do a u turn and bend 2 wheels........ WE had about 1 ton of oyster shell in her at the time that didn't help. 

Mine tows very well too but I think I’d want to have a stone guard installed before towing it on a 2000 odd km round trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I’m in trouble. Got the live fibre bug! Bought my second live fibre today. Went into Tackle World Mackay and noticed a Live Fibre Trophy there. It is maroon in colour and is apparently a discontinued line. Will be great for whiting and flathead. It doesn’t have any rating on it but the Tackle World guys told me it’s 4-6kg. It is a rlf 32/2, whatever that means. Almost bought a Shimano Thunnus 4000 to go on it but realised I hadn’t done any homework on how much you can get one for. From memory theirs was $296. 

On 13/12/2020 at 6:39 AM, Junky said:

Nice rod. 

Firstly, I am in no way critical of the rod. They are a fantastic piece of kit well built and will give you years of service, however I am critical of the advise given with regards to rod selection.

I am assuming you told the lad you were fishing from a boat? 

A 10'6 rod in a boat will be a dead set pain in the proverbial, especially if if the boat is not an open boat, which I believe your raft has a bimini of some description. 

Mate I hope you prove me wrong but I've tried a surf rod in my boat with no success. Nearly threw it overboard tbh. Lucky it was a 2 piece. 

If I can give you any sage advise then it is to go for the 7ft 4-8kg rod range for boat fishing, up to 7'6. I have a 7'6 silstar that is a very nice bait fishing snapper rod but I wouldn't go any longer. 

Good luck and I'm sure you will let us know how you go. Like I said, I hope you prove me wrong. 

Cheers. 

As a follow up to this, I have now bought a live fibre 7’ 4-6kg and have put a Thunnus 6000 on it. I intend trying both the 10’ 6” and 7’ ones on the grassies the next time I go out, so I let you know how I go. The way the weather is at the moment that will probably be sometime in 2022. 

12 hours ago, GregOug said:

As a follow up to this, I have now bought a live fibre 7’ 4-6kg and have put a Thunnus 6000 on it. I intend trying both the 10’ 6” and 7’ ones on the grassies the next time I go out, so I let you know how I go. The way the weather is at the moment that will probably be sometime in 2022. 

Without sounding negative or like an 'expert' Greg, I think the 6000 will be too big for a 4-6kg rod. Not sure if the Thunnus has a 4000 size but if they do, and it's not too late, I'd try that and see if it can be swapped. If not, you'll get by but I think you'd get a better balanced combo with a smaller reel and still be able to hold enough line and stop whatever the rod can handle. 

Yes, we wind dropping off would be nice ...... at least this 3 day lockdown has been timed for poor weather ...... 🙂.