Cairns beaches - why I need to upgrade gear

tiotony

43 minutes ago, jon said:

Well done lads that’s some horse beach Barra. Tony I’d be using 30lb on a six to ten kg setup for live baiting if I was as for north as you mate. It may not be as fun for some of the smaller fish but I’d be dirty on myself for a long time if I new I was dropping metrey’s

6-10lb served me fine for years on the beach, because you'd rarely get a barra over 80 and the blue salmon averaged 50. Been watching the size go up the last 5 years or so since net free, and metreys are pretty normal now - used to be unicorn fish 20 years ago in Cairns. And the blue salmon (staple Cairns beaches fish) are all way bigger than they used to be.

20 hours ago, tiotony said:

6-10lb served me fine for years on the beach, because you'd rarely get a barra over 80 and the blue salmon averaged 50. Been watching the size go up the last 5 years or so since net free, and metreys are pretty normal now - used to be unicorn fish 20 years ago in Cairns. And the blue salmon (staple Cairns beaches fish) are all way bigger than they used to be.

What a terrible problem to have.

15 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Tony

Marvellous work on all those fish. They are stunning and would be delicious as well! Great effort and I’m glad that the new combo works out.

What is the biggest King Salmon you’ve caught/seen caught off the beach?

Cheers Hamish

The odd 120 gets caught but don't see them caught landbased as much as there used to be; I haven't landed one in about a year. They seem to be out about 100-200m now and a lot of boats chase them nowadays - they sound up and down the beaches till they pick them up on sidescan then drop down big vibes;  you can literally see a boat doing this in the background of the photo of the rod!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Looks like they had a good session, Tony. A bit of a shame about the spot being shared, but a mighty fine session.

Do you know if the fish were let back or taken?

Cheers Hamish

he kept that salmon, would have died anyway seeing how he landed it (pulling it by the gills up the beach) and how long he had it out of the water

5 minutes ago, tiotony said:

he kept that salmon, would have died anyway seeing how he landed it (pulling it by the gills up the beach) and how long he had it out of the water

Yep, I saw that and thought for sure it would've been coming home. Big fish should never be held like that until they are dad, in my opinion. It probably hurts them like hell, seeing as though there neck is getting stretched. 

Cheers Hamish

Cracking threadie and a nice queenie too. I don't know the beaches up there but presumably there is enough there for locals to work it out. 

Each to their own as far as whether they keep big fish for a feed or let them go in my opinion - big threadies are meant to eat very well (whereas some species don't eat as well when they get bigger). As for the pain, no different to when a fishes throat gets cut to bleed them out.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Cracking threadie and a nice queenie too. I don't know the beaches up there but presumably there is enough there for locals to work it out. 

Each to their own as far as whether they keep big fish for a feed or let them go in my opinion - big threadies are meant to eat very well (whereas some species don't eat as well when they get bigger). As for the pain, no different to when a fishes throat gets cut to bleed them out.

Good point KM. Apologies for sounding a bit greeny like. (Or hypocritical for that matter; slitting the fishes throat is exactly how I kill them) 😕.

Cheers Hamish