Tallebudgera holiday

tugger

7 hours ago, benno573 said:

Interesting one day Spanish and spotties, other day mostly schoolies and a couple of spots.

sounds like an ideal Xmas break (other than the work bit), sounds like you’ve taught the young fella well too. 👍

Yeah Brock is a pretty good fisherman now, we burleyed hard that day with the schoolies as the spotties were slow then the schoolies come up into our Burley trail.

Great work tugger. That is a mighty fine mackerel session. They'd be great fun, and good chewing too!

I tried asking Dad if he could take me and him out on the yak - calm day, one esky, some bait, some rods, capsizing, getting stranded because we're to tired to paddle back.... 😉 

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice one Mark, good variety of mackerel there and some good sized spotties and schoolies. What van did you buy and are you putting the roof rack on the van or your two vehicle?

Yeah got the three species of mackerel this year. We bought a 21 foot semi off-road van and we'll have the boat on the car the van is 3m high with solar panels and aircon units on the roof.

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Great work tugger. That is a mighty fine mackerel session. They'd be great fun, and good chewing too!

I tried asking Dad if he could take me and him out on the yak - calm day, one esky, some bait, some rods, capsizing, getting stranded because we're to tired to paddle back.... 😉 

Cheers Hamish

Plenty of yaks out there with some good fisherman amongst them. I remember the old large timber surf skis over 40 years ago fishing palmy reef for the mackies.

1 hour ago, tugger said:

Plenty of yaks out there with some good fisherman amongst them. I remember the old large timber surf skis over 40 years ago fishing palmy reef for the mackies.

Hey @tugger

Oh. Interesting! Great for me, not so great for Dad. Now I’m going to be nagging him to take me down there to give them a crack! 

A couple questions - is there any way to get out there which doesn’t involve beach launching or a bar? 

And how rough is a good day? Just don’t want to be out in rough in a yak.

Thanks, Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey @tugger

Oh. Interesting! Great for me, not so great for Dad. Now I’m going to be nagging him to take me down there to give them a crack! 

A couple questions - is there any way to get out there which doesn’t involve beach launching or a bar? 

And how rough is a good day? Just don’t want to be out in rough in a yak.

Thanks, Hamish

Most launch through the surf gutters on the beach close to the reef either way the creeks bars or beach gutters through surf is the only way out there so mastering surf conditions is needed. It is offshore with swell and waves not anything like the bay.

22 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Hamish you would need to either beach launch or go out through Tallebudgera Creek (much closer than Currumbin Creek when you are in a yak). You would want to pick a very, very, very good day and I would very, very, very strongly encourage you and your Dad to try fishing out in Moreton Bay (Wello Pt would be a good option) first to see what you think of being in the yak in any kind of swell as even on a good day at Palmy you'll get much more swell than you're used to.

Also, I have never been out through Tallebudgera Creek bar/mouth before but have heard that boats often run into strife there as the channel cuts right beside the rocks so if you cop a decent wave you can end up on the rocks, so I doubt you'd be wanting to try it in your yak. 

How long is your kayak out of interest?

Thanks KM. Yes, I watched a couple videos of some people doing that on Youtube. Seemed they had a nice calm day where there wasn't that much swell. That's probably a good idea too - I'm probably a tad to keen 😉. Will have to try Wello Point one day with dad though, that's a 'for sure' thing.

Our kayak is 3.8M long.

22 hours ago, tugger said:

Most launch through the surf gutters on the beach close to the reef either way the creeks bars or beach gutters through surf is the only way out there so mastering surf conditions is needed. It is offshore with swell and waves not anything like the bay.

Hi tugger

Thanks. I think it'll be lots of practise for me! Lol.

Cheers Hamish