Yet another day in the bay

GregOug

3 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Nice one Greg. It definitely looks like you are onto a good spot. Maybe next time if you fish on neap tides (not new or full moon) you will be able to anchor better? Also, have you thought of putting a floating bait out for mackerel?

Cheers Hamish

They were all floating today.

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

We got out too. The conditions forecast certainly weren't the reality.

Nice to grab a feed in quick time. A double hookup of two fun fighting fish would have made for an interesting battle. What size swivel did you use ?

Fingers crossed on the Covid.

Damon tested negative on a RAT this afternoon so that’s hopeful.

We all use snap swivels on my boat so that you can quickly change rigs when needed. Not sure of rated breaking strain but I’m sure it’s more than the breaking strain of the line used.

1 hour ago, Another Wazza said:

@GregOug, I think someone has hijacked your profile, and this imposter is posting photos of fish!!!, what’s going on!, Hahahaha, good work in the trying conditions

Yes, it was certainly a bit of a battle out there today. At least it made having to come back in early a bit more palatable. 

14 hours ago, GregOug said:

finally dropped anchor so that we would be able to fish precisely over our spot. We didn’t even come close!

Nice one mate. Glad you are getting feed.

the cheeky wind made the ripples at our swimming spot that little bit bigger. I decided to not go out on the boat due to this. haha. It is frustrating that the predicted NE at 5 knots was a NW at 15...

Regarding your spot, although it looks like you made the best of it anyhow, Lance, "Aussie 123" (RIP mate) showed me how to do this and get it right most times. Trick is to stop on the spot where you want to hang. Stop the boat by reversing or whatever you need to do and just drift for about a min. This shows you on the GPS the line that you will hang. Go up the opposite direction, drop anchor and let out enough line until you are where you want to be. Might take a few goes to work out how far off the spot you need to be and how much rope to let out but it has worked for me plenty of times. 

Thanks for the fun report mate. 

2 hours ago, Cobiaaddict said:

Good going Greg.  Your putting together a few good trips

Little tip, try floatlining your baits back towards your spot keeping your bait higher in the water column , if there are bigger fish about they will come up and grab it and run off

I can go into more detail if you like, just let me know

Thanks @Cobiaaddict. I’d love some advice on that because I set a float line every time I go out and nothing has touched them in many hours of trying. I set the float with about 2 metres of line below it with about a number 3 ball sinker a metre or so it, then a swivel and the bait on about a metre leader below that. I’ve tried whole squid, whole whiting, whiting heads, pillies, whole scad, artificial whole squid, large artificial prawns. You name it. Nothing has even touched them. Maybe I need to set the bait a bit deeper?