Suburbs of Origin 2024 Monthly Competition

ellicat

On 16/12/2023 at 7:40 AM, kmcrosby78 said:

I reckon it’s up to the Northsiders to lift their game … don’t recall Qld coming up with rules during their 8yr Origin reign to give the other mob a better chance of winning ….  Start encouraging a few participants - @christophagus,  @Dinodadog, @Luvit, @benno573, etc. 

and how many points have you contributed in like ever…? 

35 minutes ago, Ross.warwick said:

It finally happened. I caught a fish. Not a big one, and I had to stand through a couple of rain squalls, but some silly fish somehow hooked itself and I reeled the bugger in 🤣🤣

24.5cm whiting. Not enough for dinner, but enough to keep me interested for the next 12 months or so!!

Well done Ross!

7 hours ago, ellicat said:

Did you get a photo of it on a measurer with your little finger ? That would be the leading whiting in the comp.

Unfortunately no. I've got one with a measuring tape, rain at the time was making things very awkward. I also wasn't tracking the little finger bit. Watch out next weekend, I'll be dragging the kids out and hopefully getting a few.

Don’t get all excited Hweebe , the photo attachment  issued isn’t fixed . (Sorry, it might be I didn’t even try it) My photos are attached via copy and pasting a link.Pain in the …… I’ve got a few more that I’ll put up later. That Northside 3rd placed squire won’t be in play for too long. 

3 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Don’t get all excited Hweebe , the photo attachment  issued isn’t fixed . (Sorry, it might be I didn’t even try it) My photos are attached via copy and pasting a link.Pain in the …… I’ve got a few more that I’ll put up later. That Northside 3rd placed squire won’t be in play for too long. 

Well, someone’s been busy! Nice work, Neil. I need to get off my rear end and get on the water in January to help team South. Not that the team needs any help 😬

On 19/1/2024 at 5:01 PM, ellicat said:

Some nice fish there @Neil Stratford and @Huxstang.

@Huxstang The slateys are always a good tussle. How big do you think the smoker was ? Did you sound up the fish or the structure ?

Just sounded up the structure, although got it marked pretty well.  Didnt bother spot locking on it as it was a really gentle drift.

All I know is that the smoker gave me zero chance, I had the rod fully loaded and plenty of drag one the Saragossa 6000 and I made about 3 metres before it decided that the structure was more attractive than coming up and looking at me.  Very similar take to the slatey.  My 40lb leader came up with all the signs of loosing a fight with structure 🤣

I did have the Livescope down for a while and nothing was reacting to artificials so threw down a dirty old bit of squid on a 7/0.  

That north side of Moreton was crazy alive with bait fish but only one small bust up of tuna once and nothing else.  There was something hanging around on the surface - there was a floating stick and initially I thought dolphin fish but they were just sitting fin out and almost stationary.  Only saw one close enough to say it wasnt a pelagic as it was a large flat sided looking fish.  Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, we guessed bat fish or something like that.

I concur with your bat fish hypothesis. Have seen them doing this around one of the beacons in the Bay.

The rogue that bricked you could have been a blackspot tuskfish ?? From what @Another Wazza tells me, they try to brick you as soon as they are hooked. Plenty of power to them.
I hooked this one on Cuttlefish at the Rous a month or so ago. -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNZg3pijBjwQGyGZCu5K5t_C9VillVOhVsjALmyOfIHF9KCGXZ-LCN_adCwq4BjJw/photo/AF1QipNqztrnxGIQb9H4Xrqs_mvUExHUlXNEQSM5KDjH?key=Mm1JY0RtVXZ5Z0JCc1MySV9ZTDR4Y0hjQThJaFpR

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

I concur with your bat fish hypothesis. Have seen them doing this around one of the beacons in the Bay.

The rogue that bricked you could have been a blackspot tuskfish ?? From what @Another Wazza tells me, they try to brick you as soon as they are hooked. Plenty of power to them.
I hooked this one on Cuttlefish at the Rous a month or so ago. -

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNZg3pijBjwQGyGZCu5K5t_C9VillVOhVsjALmyOfIHF9KCGXZ-LCN_adCwq4BjJw/photo/AF1QipNqztrnxGIQb9H4Xrqs_mvUExHUlXNEQSM5KDjH?key=Mm1JY0RtVXZ5Z0JCc1MySV9ZTDR4Y0hjQThJaFpR

I am contemplating upping my rod one class….its a 7 foot, medium spin, 10-40gm cast weight Ocea Offshore.  I didnt feel comfortable putting any more load on the rod - the reel had plenty of drag left in it IMHO.

I know the bay holds some huge tuskies and they always hang around heavy structure and they definitely are pound for pound one the hardest pulling reefies around.

But isnt it the great part of fishing that there is stuff down there that gets you wondering?  Although I do wonder if it’s the fisherman’s lament or the fisherman’s joy.

• ellicat unpinned this topic
  • ellicat changed the title to suburbs of origin 2024 monthly competition