Christmas Morning at Somerset

Schultzy

When Tony asked where we were going for our traditional Christmas morning fishing trip I replied, \"Let's go to Somerset for a cod\".

We were the first boat into the water at the Spit at 05:45 and were at the spot with lures in the water by 05:55.

I towed a large (150mm) yellow lure for a whole two passes before the big hit. There was no way it was going to be anything other than a cod and both Tony and I were rather pleased with a nice Chrissy present.

Having to be home, cleaned up and at rellies by 11am we only spent a couple of hours on the water but it was a very enjoyable outing. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Xmas_afo.jpg

post-108-144598437208_thumb.jpg

Lee, Not sure how big. Didn't have the mat out so didn't give the length a thought. Although it wasn't a huge fish length wise it was in extremely good condition & very heavy for its size. Check out the size of the tail wrist compared to the caudal fin...Fat fish ;)

I'll check with Tony later in the week to see if he ran a tape over it or weighed it in the net while I was messing around with cameras.

Ballsie move guys – mad keen too.

There’s a few things I like about this shot.

Your smile – how stoked you are after all the fish you have caught :)

Your plan worked – not that we should be surprised ;)

You took your son on Christmas morning – smart move ;)

You ran the gauntlet on posting Christmas day and got away with it.:lol:

Nice fish guys.B)

Duncan that fish was released as are all of the cod I catch on both sides of the range. They are simply too special for me to see them as just a source of protein. Much better to put the fish back for someone else to enjoy and to hopefully add to the gene pool. I'll have a slice of ham for dinner instead (pigs don't have the charisma of cod);)

Thanks Brendon, I don't get one every time I target them at Somerset, just often enough to keep the interest levels high.

I guess the extra effort needed is part of the mystique of these superb animals.

Here's number one son, Graham with one of his. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/2151_afo.jpg

post-108-144598437271_thumb.jpg

Gav,

It isn't secret fisherman's business but it is not available in the shops.

I used a commercially made lure that I've doctored. Added a large bib and played with the angle to give the lure a wider action and shallower running depth. Seems to work OKB)

I'll show it to you next time I see you.

Archived