barra park tough fishing 21/2

kevinchen19870316

Kriso and me went to barra park this morning around lunch time and started casting lures in the barra creek.

fishing was not as good as i expected we got only 2-3 fish each in the 1st hr. things were slow till around 4pm, when i have tried nearly every lure in my box without any significant improvement in catching rate, i put a big ecogear popper on in desperation.

1st cast i got a smash and missed the hook up:blink: . a few casts later, i managed to hook a nice fish and that's my new PB ON A POPPER!!!:woohoo: . the fish measured 60cm.

then i got a hit nearly every other cast and landed 2 bigger ones 60cm and 65cm. all 3 fish on popper were fat and fit unlike the ones taken on other lures.

kriso put a popper on and managed a few as well all big and fat;)

then we noticed some baitfish getting smashed in the big boys so we tried a while at big boys with no hit at all. i tried to match the hatch but well, when i jagged one of the baitfish getting smashed, i know it's impossible. the "baitfish" is a around 2.5-3kg mullet!!! from the size of the swirl and boils, we can tell the fish feeding were mostly over 90cm. with the smallest around 80, biggest unknown.

then i had a bit of fun catching smaller barra while kriso's targetting fish of a life time:laugh:

so he got around 10 and here's my rally

1 on megabass ito 110

1 on X-80

2 on lucky craft staysee

5 landed on ecogear popper and dropped over 10 for not setting the hook( didn't want to hook the smaller ones and go through the hassle of unhooking them)

4 landed on plastics

1 on g-vibe

dropped a huge fish on x-80 with size 4 megabass hook opened.fish kept taking line for over 10 seconds!:blink:

somepics to come [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC01669_AFO.jpg

post-1433-14459844463_thumb.jpg

kev no offense but those 'awesome megabass' hooks must be shithouse. Ive never heard anyone speak of crushed trebles more than you. i fished for jacks and Big barra for many years and hardly ever straightened a hook. But i spose you lock up yor drag so you are putting a big strain on the hook but still.

anywho, nice fish mate

whatnow wrote:

kevin your much much more likely to get 1 around 80-90cm than 1m+

and didnt you and dan say you wont use bait till next brc?

and im still about 50 up on you for barra kev lol but a have a bad feeling not for long

hahahahahahahahha

u'll see daniel casting a old pilly in the big boys pond with his heavy gear while flicking SP in the barra creek:laugh:

i swam almost all of the lures in my tackle box with none of them catching over 5 fish till i got the popper out. compared to last time when i easily got 15fish on an X-80 along, fishing's really really tough today. we got desperate for quite a while until the surface action made us back to life. lol. i love the way barra smashed the big popper, u can hear the sound and feel the jerk on ur rod.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

fishyman,i'd say the megabass hooks r only opened twice till now but the old famous owner cultivas r opened with nearly every decent fish.lol

and u do see others drag screaming with tiny fish while i drag 60cm fish up in 2minutes.:P

never have i lost a fish using cultivas ever and i been using them for a long time

i got mine on jackall 10cc, g vibe. cheap lure from the chop there,little halco, tried sp's that i bought from the AFO shop but i couldnt raise i sniff but was using wrong jig heads cause forgot the ones i wanted to use and left my strike king HB at home sorry gus. will post picks tonight, also got a couple on sure catch popper.

pcsolutionman wrote:

Kev I have got a couple of those ecogear poppers, they work great just popping or go even better walking the dog :) what retreive where you using?

Lee

i was slash baiting on the surface and give a stop around 1 second just to let my arm take a rest. so the only reason to stop me from keep using the popper is my tired left arm:blush: . u won't have the problem though:laugh:

Plastic Man wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
fishyman,i'd say the megabass hooks r only opened twice till now but the old famous owner cultivas r opened with nearly every decent fish.lol

and u do see others drag screaming with tiny fish while i drag 60cm fish up in 2minutes.:P

never have i lost a fish using cultivas ever and i been using them for a long time

nah, u don't lose fish using cultivas because u lose fish for snapped leader:laugh: just kidding

when u have a 23lb mainline and a 20lb leader with bimini twist&albright, the only thing that will fail is the hooks;)

for the barra i pulled, i opened 2 lucky craft stocked trebles, 5 owner cultivas(from size 10 to size 6), one megabass stocked hook size 4 on a fish that kept taking line for 10 seconds( even the 65 didn't take line for more than 3 seconds). the only hooks that held up were the ones on that popper. that's a thick size 1 or 2

Archived