Eel Advice Needed

Cowfish13

About a 50m walk away from my house, there is a small creek and I've noticed alot of big Eels swimming around, or ambushing little fish or shrimp. Some of them would push a metre easyB)

I am interested in trying to catch some (so is a friend;)), but I'm unsure if they'll cope:huh:

Are Fresh Water Eels tough animals? ie, will they cope with being caught on a lure and then released?

And if so, what weight line and leader would be neccesary to stop them busting me off?

And what lures would work best?

I can easily sight cast to some of them. Today I had a look and there was a 1m long one about a couple of metres away from me waiting for food to come down the outlet pipes:cheer:

Thanks

You could buy one of those fake dog poos from the magic shop and put a hook in it LOL.

Seriously I reckon bait's your best bet for an eel (but I'm mainly a bait fisho). The trusty old garden worm would do the trick.

They're as tough as old nails too, so unless they swallow a lure I think your conscience can be clear. Better still, forget your conscience and keep 'em for shark bait.

That's good to hear that they're tough. I was so tempted to run home and get an SX40 to troll over the eels head today. I just had other stuff to do;)

My mate has been driving me nuts. He really wants to give it a go.

Do they fight hard though? or head for cover?

I really don't wanna lose a lure:)

pinkey wrote:

does the creek leed to anywhere like the river? yeh id say give it a go, just bring a pair of longnose plires, im 100% sure they would take lures. if they dont take the hbs they certanly wouldnt hesitate a wriggley sp :D

I'm not sure on that. It goes pretty far though. However, the section that I would be fishing it has sort of been damned. So there will always be water in there I guess:cheer:

Thanks Dino:)

With the 20lb, is that because they fight pretty hard?

Cowfish13 wrote:

There are a few turtles in there as well. But there are a lot of Mosquito Fish and Rainbow fish as well. Thoguh not in that section

Beats me why there are Eels that size there:huh:

Ive lost many a jackall to eels at Maroon Dam. They wrap themselves around your line. I wouldnt be using expensive lures

I have never seen one caught on a lure, in saying that if they do you will probably loose it for sure. I have caught plenty on worms and bread but make sure you have heavy line and leader because they are powerful creatures. If you are going to target the big ones as a first go, make sure you take a camera as it will make for a great story one way or another.

Good luck & have fun

Regards

Al

From what I’ve head, eels sound like bloody tough buggers. A family friend has something to do with a horse place near the blue mountains, and they had to dig a big pit, like a massively deep pool to swim the horses through. Because the horses are dirty, they have to drain the pool all the time and have often had eels thrashing around in the bottom of it when they drain it. And the closest water body is a fair way away. :dry:

Joel ;)

they'd almost certainly take a lure but bugger that - you'd lose it every time. go with a chunk of meat (doesn't matter what, i used to use steak fat in kununurra WA and even caught barra on it :blink: ) unweighted or close to it and i caught them every time. a heavy leader if your keen, you want a challenge, go with about 6 pound line and about 10 leader, definately long shank hook... hang on :blink: !!! best thing to do is cut them off close to the water as soon as you have caught them , they will find their way back. unless you want some "unagi" (japanese for eel) for dinner, it's not bad hey.:laugh: no really, it's not bad at all... seriously... not joking for once...:laugh:

i have had a eel attack a popper in my mums dam..didnt hook up thou..glad cuz might be a bit hard trying to unhook it with out killing it...in my golfball collecting days in nudgee golf course we were always getting nipped by the damn things...more of a fright than anything else...

Archived