More Shark Hype to come.....

webbfunk

"there you go... we need to hurry up and get these international professional hunters in. Without them, soon enough we'll be ankle deep in man eating sharks on our primary school ovals. Our kids will never be safe in water or land. If only there was a local that could do the job........."

Once again... I reckon I'd be a great journo. :D

as far as i know, bull sharks are everywhere. in southern africa they are called zambezi sharks coz they are found along way up the zambezi river. They take out alot of locals fishing in the water in mozambique.

speaking of shark killers and all the current hype, has anyone ever been to the vic hislop shark museum in airlie beach whitusundays. I wasted 15 bucks to get into that dump and listened to his crazed ramblings for a while.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/08/2210548.htm

Teen killed in shark attack

Shark attack: A boy has died after being attacked at Ballina

Surf Lifesaving NSW says the boy was bodyboarding with a friend at Ballina's Lighthouse Beach just after 8:00am (AEST), when a shark bit him on the upper leg.

Spokesman Craig Roberts says the teenager's friend had to swim him into shore from the popular North Wall surf break.

"When lifeguards attended the scene, as you can imagine, it was quite a stressful situation," he said.

"He was unconscious and the lifeguards and ambulance officers had some severe haemorrhaging to deal with."

Ambulance spokesman Patrick Cantwell says paramedics arrived at the beach around 8:30am, about 15 minutes after they were called by a member of the public.

"Tragically, when our paramedics arrived on the scene, the male had died," he said.

Conditions treacherous

Regional lifeguard coordinator Steven Leahy says conditions are treacherous at the site of the attack, just north of the Richmond River estuary.

"We've had lots and lots of rain over the last 24 hours and the water is dirty and murky," he said.

"It's one of the things that we would always say, 'That's not a good time to go swimming'."

Mr Leahy says poor visibility has ruled out any search at this stage.

"Unfortunately, while we would like to get out on the water and up in the air looking for sharks, the weather is absolutely abysmal and that prevents that," he said.

"So as a safety precaution, I've closed all the beaches in the Ballina Shire."

'Big shock'

The surf lifesaving duty officer for the far north coast, Gary Meredith, says there were only two people in the water at the time of the attack.

Mr Meredith says the event is devastating for the local community and there is a sense of disbelief on the beach.

"It's a big shock," he said. "We're just trying to get through it this morning."

He says sharks have not been seen in the area in recent months.

"Like most spots along the north coast, in probably the last six to 12 months we've had a few sightings of sharks, but it's been nothing to be too concerned about," he said.

"We've had to close beaches for short periods of time until the sharks that have been sighted have gone through, but for the later part of our surf season, we haven't seen many sharks at all around this area."

It is not known what sort of shark attacked the teenager.

Police are investigating the attack.

yeah.. very good point. :( :blush: I do feel guilty now that my first post was a smart ass one without considering that a life has been lost.

Sincerest apologies to the family for the lack of respect on my end. Condolences to them at the tragic loss of a young loved one.

Paul Burt was on the radio saying with all the rain and run off in the area there has been a lot of sheep, cows washed out from the upper reaches. Plenty of food for the sharks which was most likely a White, Tiger or Bull.

Yep a big loss for his family, heroic effort by his mate

reports are saying bull shark - could be any kind of whaler though... :dry: i would be very doubtful on a white at this time of year.

condolences to the family, no-one in the world deserves that :unsure: . i have surfed that break quite a few times, maybe not from now on... :blush:

paul burt is way behind the times with his report of dead animals floating out to sea, this happened at the peak run off months ago from the flood that shut the river down. the water is dirty from the latest rain, the bait fish are prolific at the moment, we fish a close reef and the bait has been thick.... who can bloody tell what shark did it ??? where they there ?? did they see it ??.. people lose sight of the fact that sharks live in the ocean and are the apex predator, they swim into rivers and up small creeks and canals to do what ???? EAT ..anything that they come across.... it is extremely unfortunate that this young fella was in the wrong place at the wrong time.... the medias first statement on this pertains to the fact that our school teachers were on strike this morning.... as if they are trying to blame them ... another beat up......

my sincere and heartfelt condolences go to the family and all his classmates etc.. and to the paramedics and anyone else that was there.... :( :( :(

bloody awefull thing to happen...

bloody awefull media arseholes...

just bloody awefull allround....

Paul

maxi wrote:

paul burt is way behind the times with his report of dead animals floating out to sea, this happened at the peak run off months ago from the flood that shut the river down. the water is dirty from the latest rain, the bait fish are prolific at the moment, we fish a close reef and the bait has been thick.... who can bloody tell what shark did it ??? where they there ?? did they see it ??.. people lose sight of the fact that sharks live in the ocean and are the apex predator, they swim into rivers and up small creeks and canals to do what ???? EAT ..anything that they come across.... it is extremely unfortunate that this young fella was in the wrong place at the wrong time.... the medias first statement on this pertains to the fact that our school teachers were on strike this morning.... as if they are trying to blame them ... another beat up......

my sincere and heartfelt condolences go to the family and all his classmates etc.. and to the paramedics and anyone else that was there.... :( :( :(

bloody awefull thing to happen...

bloody awefull media arseholes...

just bloody awefull allround....

Paul

couldn't agreed more maxi... when i read the whole blame it on the teacher's strike thing i couldn't have been more pissed off at the media. what a total crock... my heart goes out to all involved - a terrible and tragic case of wrong place, wrong time.

also, thought this may be pertinent to point out. people are occasionally attacked by bullsharks, not not eaten. it is known that bullsharks do attack humans, particularly in murky waters but i have not as yet heard a report of a person being eaten by one. some people may say same thing, but it is not. sharks attack humans indevertantly in a case of "i can't see it properly and it moves therefore it is food" but they soon release the person. unfortunately in a lot of cases this is far to late for the victim, as a nibble from a large shark is often fatal. it is a pertinent and tragic reminder of the dangers we face in the environment in which we chose to play...:unsure:

Just so happened to be driving past when the ambulance was leaving this morning. Didn't think anything of it until heard the news later in the day.

Went for a stroll out on the north wall this arvo and must admit to having a lump in my throat when I saw a couple of young fellas huddled together on the rocks and this... [img size=379]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/RIP1.JPG

post-564-144598451796_thumb.jpg

Its all part of the PR spin after a shark attack Maxi, they always do it, looks like they are doing something and makes ma and pa tourist think its safe to go back in the water again.

They dont really care about catching the specific shark, but a dozen good sized dead sharks on the news will meet the spin doctors requirements. Then it will all go quiet again until the next chomp.

poor kid and his family...but i must say this....when ever we enter the water we are entering there territoy there domain....we all know theres a slim chance we will end up as shark crap and its a chance we take..as for catchin the bloody thing what goods that going to do??theres plenty more to take its place....

Shrimpo wrote:

Could be true for "Bull" Sharks because im not sure if their found in other places of the world?

Bull Sharks are distributed globally. Sometimes they are known as other things such as River Whaler or Zambezi Sharks (In South Africa).

Ellicat: That would be quite emotional I imagine actually being there.

Everyone: Its a joke IMO to think they will be able to target "The exact shark". But I understand to political need to be seen doing something.

Angus

i can see both sides of the story i think yes what are the chances of catching the same thing, but on the other hand if i lost one of my loved ones i wouldnt be home till i had blood on my hands, not a great way deal with the matter its just how i am when it comes to my family.

It's a tragic thing to happen and I feel for his friends and family.

Saying this though the fact of the matter is that we humans are going into their (the sharks) world, they are programmed to do one thing and one thing only!! Hunt for food, kill and eat + breed, more importantly they are a vital part of the ecology of the sea and have been for millions of years.

Having grown up in Cape Town, South Africa, the great white capital of the world I have been fascinated with sharks since I was a boy and have had the privilege to cage dive with the great white. Until you understand them there will always be the people that want to go and kill the shark responsible. This is ludicrous in my opinion!!

The young lad was taken at the mouth of a river, a perfect feeding spot for bull sharks. The muddy, murky water would be full of smells and fish, bull sharks have had everything from hub caps, to metal plates, knives and forks found in their stomach. They definitely attack, bite hard and ask questions latter.

I stand to correction but wasn't there another guy taken about 12 months ago at the same spot??? The last word go's to the shark and if we humans choose to play in their world we take our chances.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. :(

Bryan

there is an addon available for google earth from the australian shark attack files which will give a very brief run down and a little flag where all actual attacks occured let me just say there are a lot of flags but not that many fatal ones .

as far as i found there was only one attack that was a true eaten where a large tiger grabbed a guy swimming took a leg liked it took another one then pulled him appart and ate the lot there have been a few with a few sharks tearing a victim to bits and a couple of very large bites rodney fox style but the majority are just test bites more inquiry than anything just like a baby putting everything in their mouths with dire results

yes every time we go swimming we do it knowing the risks even people from over seas know what a shark is so we all know what can happen. going out killing sharks till they get the right one is stupid letting the parents bash one to death would possibly help with their grieving i dont really know, i would be beside my self if it was my daughter. so really all any one can do is feel sorry for the family have a feed of flake and carry on just try not to swim in dirty water its the biggest killer

my heart felt sympathy goes to the family and friends at this time of loss

jason

My condolences to the family and friends of the boy.

It is a terrible thing to happen.

I am a diver and i know the risks involved with being in the water.

Unfortunately, surfers, paddlers, spearfisherman and swimmers are at more risk than a diver as they can be unaware of it's presence.

Most sharks attack because they feel threatened, they have been startled or the human victim is representing comotion or frenzy.

Some sharks unfortunately (like all animals) can be trained or taught to attack humans.

By this i mean as an example, the fools who put humans in cages and burley up to encourage shark attacks on the cages.

That's just my opinion.

Once again, my deepest sorrow for the recent happenings.

hey batman, ive lived in the area for a while now, and the last fatality was 15 yrs ago at byron bay, a positive sighting was made, from memory, of a great white being the culprit. (i also stand corrected on these claims.....) i think they then made effort to catch the fish... (geez im stretching the brain cells now) and maybe have been successful ... there was a scare off byron 2 or so yrs ago, when a woman got bumped on a surf ski or sea kayak, maybe tasted her, a white again.. and she survived to become a stronger person from the experience... sketchy facts i've stated here guys, but its not too far off the truth.... :P :P ;)

by the way... the richmond is running chocoalte again.. its been raining heaps, we have minor flooding again, no soakage this time, all run off... red muddy water in all creeks.. no bass fishin'...:ohmy:

heaps of bass killed in one of the tributaries last week...

:ohmy:

the pic is the mouth of the richmond in flood 3 or so months ago.... no wonder sharks hang there...

Maxi [img size=488]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/flood_010.jpg

post-2155-144598452275_thumb.jpg

Archived