Murray Cod Madness!

Fishing_Cherry

When invited to at a private property (near tenterfield) a few weeks ago to fish for some Murray Cod I couldn't refuse. Never having caught one of these amazing fish, and not knowing how to go about it, I greatly miscalculated the ferocity of the fish, talk about agressive. Arriving at the property (1500 hectares, with 5km of privately owned creek) and setting up camp I was itchin' to get some practice. The surrounding country was granite scrub with the creek being only 7-8m wide at most, littered with snags and overhanging willows! Cod Country!

After checkin that my Ausspin Spinnerbaot was a goer I lobbed a few casts at a likely spot under a willow tree (all the willows were planted by Landcare and the property owner for the purpose of murray cod habitats)...... and BANG! :woohoo: absolutely nailed by a nice little cod (went 46cm)....my FIRST EVER! Well this certainly got my blood pumpin, and for the next 3 days I walked the entire system along with a few other happy campers. Altogether we managed about 30 cod, with 12 of these going to me (a few 50-55 and 1 60cm). Two cod went to 75cm, my best being 60cm. These aggressive green beasts certainly gave my little cruxis and 3-5kg baitcaster a workout! Anyways a great trip all-in-all (all 19 people attending caught a cod each :lol: ) Anyway, here are a few pics of my cod.

Yeh, the entire lot were caught on spinnerbaits. The damage was mostly done with a 1/2 ounce Ausspin Ultraspin (Red and Black) spinnbait. After I lost that one to a good snag I changed over to a 1/4ounce Purple and White Vortex SPinnerbait (with a stinger attached). Even though it was a relatively small spinner my best cod (60cm) absolutley nailed it!

The creek is stocked with 10,000 cod fingerlings, 10,000 goldens and similar numbers of silvers, a fishermans DREAM!

The host, a keen cod fisherman as you wouyld imagine (hes caught roughly 1200 cod over the years fishin there), said that a few 30 pounders showed up and there had been talk of a 45-50 pounder (supposedly lost by one of his neighbours) living in a large gravel pit pool near a gravel crushing station 1k down from our camp. Anyway it was ideal country for 'em so I imagine there would be a few biggies!

here are some scenic shots of the creek 'n' country:

a4.jpg

a4.jpg

a4.jpg

a4.jpg

Well done Mate, unreal to catch so many in one trip (I am still waiting for my first)....

It is great country out there. The local tackle shop in Tenterfield also has some awsome pics of huge local cod.

Great to see so many available due to good management for a change.

Cheers

Archived