AFO Rod Prototypes - What Do You Think?

Angus

Hey everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of AFO Rods for a while.

Now a lot of thought has gone into this.

I dont want to aim for high end of the market becuase I think this is and should be dominated by custom rod makers like Lee. If you are going to spend that much on a rod (mind you for what you get still very good value for Lee's rods for what I have seen some custom makers charge), you might as well have "exactly" what you want.

We have hopes in the future of having the quite flash Damiki rods in the shop as a middle range of rod as well.

So I decided, both for demand and competition that good quality sub $100 spin rods would be the best option. Baring in mind I wanted these to be affordable but still great quality.

So I have recieved my first two samples and I am very happy.

Both rods feature:

* Great Artwork.

* 2-4kg Line rating.

* 100% Carbon Fibre.

* Fuji Guides.

* Nice cork handles.

* Quality rod seats (i prefer the one on the screw down style of handle).

All together they are both quality products.

As it will be a case of one or the other, I am leaning towards the screw down handle model. This ones blank feels a lot better.

There is still the option to change my mind, and make small modification to the final choice so I wanted to open it up to the forum and ask opinions.

Cheers.

Oh the rods are called "AFO Lucky Sticks". I will look in the future to getting some 8-10kg ones made and these will be called "AFO Tuff Luckies".

Thanks.

Angus

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/logo.jpg

post-63-144598454706_thumb.jpg

rayke1938 wrote:

I prefer the screw down type. Length? BC and spin?

Cheers

Ray

Ray: Again good questions mate thanks.

At the moment spin only. I will look at BC in the future but with a 100 min order of each type im keeping it simple for the time being.

Length: 6foot 6inches.

Angus

shortie wrote:

Great idea angus. Although in the price range you are competing with daiwa Procaster and shimano raider rods.

What warranty do they have and being 2 piece i assume replacing the tip end is an option if it breaks.

Richard.

Whats price of a Procaster and a Raider respectively?

I like the screw down ones, I've grown to dislike the ones with the little screw bands, they undo themselves to readily. Only problem I have with them and this is probably pretty lame, but the name 'Lucky Stick' makes it sound like a cheap chinese imitation ( kind of like how Kev is a cheap chinese imitation Dan ) rod. It would be cool to have a more 'Brisbane' name to them, maybe the winner of the next AFO comp can have the rod named after them? Maybe name them after a fish in the right weight class? "AFO flathead", "AFO snapper" "AFO breambo" etc.

username_taken wrote:

I like the screw down ones, I've grown to dislike the ones with the little screw bands, they undo themselves to readily. Only problem I have with them and this is probably pretty lame, but the name 'Lucky Stick' makes it sound like a cheap chinese imitation ( kind of like how Kev is a cheap chinese imitation Dan ) rod. It would be cool to have a more 'Brisbane' name to them, maybe the winner of the next AFO comp can have the rod named after them? Maybe name them after a fish in the right weight class? "AFO flathead", "AFO snapper" "AFO breambo" etc.

Well the name is an easy thing to change.

Its good to know most thoughts on the actual make up are positive.

Ok then give me some names!

Make them Brisbane themed if you can.

The names are for these two models:

2-4 KG 6'6" Spin Stick

&

8-10 KG ?'?" Spin Stick

Cheers

Angus

shortie wrote:

I have picked up daiwa procaster from $70 on special to $110.

Shimano raider On special $89 generally about $120

Thats ok.

These will have a starting price as good any eithers special price (I hope got to love customs and import duty).

Angus

I think they look pretty good Angus. I like the screw down seat and I think ash is on to something there with "AFO River Rods" for the light one and maybe "AFO Bay Rods" for the heavier model. I would be keen on getting one of the lighter ones for sure.

username_taken wrote:

"The Angus Angler" 2-4 KG 6'6" Spin Stick

that way we can all etch off the first G and the L and giggle like schoolgirls.

:laugh: :laugh: hahah.. I reckon you'd be good to just remove the first "G".

But yeah, I'd probably end up buying one.

the rods look great Angus!

the only thing i can say is the writing looks a little tacy!

other then that they look great!

maybe old style running writing would make it look more attractive?

i paid 105 rrp for my river raider rod!

i will buy a 8-10kg spinn stick off ya when ya get them made!

big tez's idea sounds good about naming them after brizzie spots!

"the gateway"

Ian

bretto wrote:

I think they look pretty good Angus. I like the screw down seat and I think ash is on to something there with "AFO River Rods" for the light one and maybe "AFO Bay Rods" for the heavier model. I would be keen on getting one of the lighter ones for sure.

That sounds hot.

after dropping in to see angus he very excitedley showed me the demo models of these two rods they both certainly look the goods with a nice finnish on both good quality cork work and a good feel to the blanks easily as good as any rod i have

my preference/sugestions being

cork grip i recon the cool blue bit will look crap quick due to my negligence

screw up type seat as its way more comfy

id like the little hook holder tag deffinately as it saves the rod ring

i recon named after the fish would be good as theres lots of fish for future product names and we would have to collect the "set"

maybe a little pic of the fish

any way ill get one of each when you get them as i like to have lots of rods

Angus I'd definately be interested in the 2-4 kilo with the screw down handle. Maybe a couple. They are much easier on the hands for all day casting. Like a baitcaster grip.

Lucky Stik is ok by me, but if your looking for suggestions how about "AFO Winter" coz thats the size we would use on the winter comp, and "AFO Classic" for the heavier rod, coz thats what we would use for the shark comp.

Archived