Ewen maddock - Surface action

pcsolutionman

went out to Ewen Sunday afternoon, I met Craig/Breambuctser13 out there with his father, he was borrowing Paul/Nodds hobie revo for the arvo and his father was on there viking.

The plan was to target some Toga with the chance of a bass. we launched and headed left working the edges of the first bay, got close to the marker boys and started hearing splashes :woohoo: :woohoo: what the hell is that i thought, well ill let this vid i took tell this part of the story.

{youtube}C7M3-fymc_k{/youtube}

The most amazing thing I have seen anyone know what they were doing? feeding? or breeding?

We left them alone and continued on our mission to bag a Toga :woohoo: :woohoo: worked our way around to the second point straight out from the ramp, working the spinnerbait sown the face of the weed with a slow roll I got a tap then bang im on this thing hit so hard, but it aint no Toga got it along side the boat and thought I had caught te smallest bass in Ewen when i saw colour but nope a bloody spangled :blink: :blush:

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/27-04-08/p1030199-web.jpg

Greedy bugger.

Didnt get anymore action until back in the first bay on dark when I heard a nice surface hit in shallow water up against a bank, I had a 80mm Cultiva surface walker on so fired that in and as it hit the water Bang the biggest splash and im on, Yeeha a nice Toga I thought straight away then no jumps and it came out and went deep and was pulling hard so called it for a nice bass, then I see colour a bloody catfish :huh: :dry: :blush: on the surface:S

it was a lot darker than this picture shows I had to lighten it up

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/27-04-08/p1030201-web.jpg

and yep no fluke hooked right in the mouth

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/27-04-08/p1030202-web.jpg

Well thats a first lol.

over the next 20 mins I got 3 more :blink: all on the surface. 2 were mouth hooked and I got one in the side of the head. they were going nuts smashing the surface so hard hey, and they fight well too so whos to complain

anybody else ever had anything like this????

Lee

taken from aussie nativefish.com

Reproduction of the eel-tailed catty

Late Spring to mid summer. Prefers gravel river bed to mud. Builds nest 1 to 2 weeks before spawning, If nest exposed by lowered water levels it is abandoned and another built. Elaborate courtship behaviour. One parent, sometimes both, attend nest and aerate and protect eggs until after hatching.

so this suggests they are not breeding so i dont know whats their doing

Plastic Man wrote:

Late Spring to mid summer. Prefers gravel river bed to mud. Builds nest 1 to 2 weeks before spawning, If nest exposed by lowered water levels it is abandoned and another built. Elaborate courtship behaviour. One parent, sometimes both, attend nest and aerate and protect eggs until after hatching.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRACKING DOWN AND QUOTING THE HIGHLY VALUED INFORMATION. now i have no idea what they r doing, i doubt they'll be feeding in that manner.

Plastic Man wrote:

before somerset got some water in it again you would see the nests built in the gravel and rocks

great footage there Lee:woohoo:

Archived