Peter Faust Dam, Fickle but fun.

bretto

Headed to the airport on saturday to find my plane delayed by an hour, that cut the window for a fish before dark by quite a bit :angry:

I arrived to see my dad waiting to get out there so we quickly grabbed all my stuff and headed out to the dam to find the wind was blowing out of the SE......not good.

Day 1

We headed out onto the windy dam and found a sheltered pocket out of the wind and started to work shallow rapala x-raps over a weed bed. Had a solid hit on my second cast as the sun set over the dam but no hook up. That was all the action we had for day 1 and talk around camp showed no fish were boated all day.

Day 2

5am start and found the dam had glassed off so we hit the points with surface lures to no avail till about 6.30. As the sun was out we headed into the trees in search of a monster and found the mass of sticks overwhelming. On our first drift through the sticks flicking a rapala xtion walk I had several swirls behind my lure and finally a hit from a solid fish of 75-80cm but not hook up :( The sheer mass of trees made it hard to pick where to fish.

Which one to cast at?

[img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/faust02.JPG

We soon found a good technique of following creek beds and fishing adjacent trees.

A few hours more saw two more bust ups and a big 49.5cm sooty grunter boated....yay :laugh: :laugh:

The most fun however was found in the middle of the dam where we found a weed bed that came from 11 metres down to just under the surface and there werea few small barra cruising about and were able to cast to the fish with shallow lures and the fish were smashing them at 12 noon with the sun high in the sky. The biggest was 58cm and the smallest 52cm. We boated 2 and that was it for day2 as the wind got up and the fish shut down.

Day 3

Monday was a non event as the wind stayed up all night and the only fish I saw was one dead on the surface in the centre of the dam. The flight back was delayed too :angry:

I had an awesome time and we did really well considering that only one other of the eight boats caught a fish that went 45cm over the three days there. I will be back very soon when the weather heats back up again. :)

Pics to follow.

post-2675-144598457173_thumb.jpg

Rocket75 wrote:

I knew we were going to get some great photos! Thanks for the report, that Sooty is solid:cheer:

What bait did the big one take before it got away?

Thanks for the report.

Rocket

Thank you for the kind words Rocket

The fish took a killalure 12+ barra bait. It was a thrill just to see a fish like that clearing its whole length out of the water B)

Nice work mate, quality sooty.

Hows the fight? bricked you a couple times hey - sounds bloody awesome :D

Pitty about the barra, that's a biggun. How awesome is it when they jump out of the water though? Far out, barra and toga fish can be so exciting when that happens.

ellicat wrote:

Cracker of a sootie. Would've gone as hard as the littler barra (??)

Ellicat

The sooty went much harder as I was using 8lb and we were up in the sticks and at the time I caught the barra I was out in the open and using 50lb...:laugh: :laugh:

Dinodadog wrote:

Well done mate any time on the water is quality time, dragon fly on the tip of the rod usualy means good luck

well at wivenhoe they constantly sit on my rod I try and crack em with the tip wont do it any more if there good luck :laugh:

By the way sweet sooty and barra's mate still would of been a great trip with the old man

Archived