Report: Wivenhoe - 10th May 08

username_taken

Met up at Big W at about 2pm with Bommie and Son, Rocket and wife. We paddled off and suddenly something came out of the water with a splash right next time me and I heard a "SLUURRRPP" noise, almost pooed my pants, Was a very very large lungfish. I paddled off trolling a purple predatek and a darkish Halco Scorpian, both 8M models. One thing I quickly noticed was there was TONS of action on the sounder, schools of fish seemed to be everywhere.

Soon I heard some yahoo'ing as Kath pulls in a Bass into the rocket ship. I wasn't close enough to see much of the fight. Not too long after my $40 BC combo doubled over and I thought WTF? a snag in 20M water? Grabbed the rod still thinking it was a snag but I quickly realised there was a fish attached to it. Was a fairly quick fight, and I was surprised to pull out a very healthy 50cm FL bass. A new PB! A couple of quick pics thanks to Bommie and back in she went.

IMG_0579_AFO.jpg

Meanwhile I believe Rocket and Bommie both landed a bass each and then BAM my other rod goes off. A really good solid fight this time that saw me tighten up my drag a fair bit to get ground back from the fish and I land a beautiful 40cm bass. He fought much stronger than the bigger bass and I decided as I'm firing up the smoker tomorrow ( been curing pork belly and going to smoke it to make bacon ) I chucked him in the esky.

DSC03755.JPG

Not long after the sun started heading south quickly and the fish just suddenly disappeared. Went from seeing tons of them to just a few and there were no more strikes as we paddled back to the cars.

Loaded up and headed off, Driving behind the Rocket bus I noticed something bouncing around trailing behind his boat. I honked my horn, flashed my lights, and put my hazard lights on, Nothing I did got Rocket's attention until finally we got to the merge back on to the main road and I stuck my head out the window and shouted "STOP ROCKET STOP!".

He must have heard me as he did stop, and we checked out the back of the boat to see that his transducer mount had come off and was the bouncing object I could see. No real damage seemed to be done, so we got it back into the boat and headed home.

With all the great fish coming from Wivenhoe of late, Kath and I just had to get out there and get amongst them.

Having never been there before, we were lucky enough to get an invite to fish with Bommie (Matt), Bommie Jnr and U_NT (Paul).

Leaving home (Boondall) at 12.00, aiming to be at the dam for a 2.00pm launch with the rest of the party, we made our way through the local traffic and hit the open road.

Stopping at Fernvale to purchase our boating permit, we met up with Paul who had seen our car beside the road and stopped to make sure we were on the right track.

Unfortunately the info centre at Fernvale was out of boat permits and the info centre at the dam was shut, so with a clear conscience we met Bommie and Paul at Billies Bay right on time.

Wivenhoe10May08006.jpg

Within minutes we were down to the waterline (quite a bumpy drive) where the sailboat boys had launched. We waded and then motored our way into deep water, deploying some 8m divers as soon as we cleared the shallows. 5 minutes later Kath’s lure was smashed and after a short battle the first Bass of the day was on board for a photo (35cm to the tip + very thick) and then back into the wet stuff before he knew what hit him.

Wivenhoe10May08001.jpg

We followed the other boys in their yaks and canoe down an old river bed that was approx 6m-20m deep. There were so many fish showing on the sounder that it seemed impossible to drag a lure through them and not hook up. Sadly, they didn’t want to play the game despite trolling for quite some time.

Needing a change, we picked a likely looking bay and cast our spinnerbaits into the shallows and sticks, hoping to coax one of the locals out into the deep.

After lots of cast and no love, so we repositioned and started a new drift at the mouth of the bay. I was cranking my spinner back to the boat so I could fire a cast into some new territory, and thump, I’m on. All the telltale bass signs were there in the fight, so I was fairly certain of the species, but the way small fish can at times go harder than bigger units, you can never tell how big till you get colour.

A new PB on lure for me, this fella went 38cm to the tip and was as fat as a fool.

Wivenhoe10May08009.jpg

The spinnerbait was a 5/8 Tandem from Ausspin, fitted with a 2/0 stinger but as it turned out, the main hook was the one that did the job.

We re-covered the successful spot a number of times, but got no more joy, so we headed off to troll the deep again.

Once more, the amount of fish evident was spectacular, but the lures remained unmolested, so I added the successful spinnerbait to the trolling spread just for something different.

Not long after this, my reel started fizzing and line was feeding out at a decent click. Something had taken a liking to the spinnerbait and was heading for Esk.

Stopping the electric and checking my drag, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mystery fish was taking line against quite a heavy drag setting. As Kath hit action stations and cleared off the other lines, I waited for the drag to stop singing and applied some pressure, feeling some decent weight and big head shakes. The adrenaline was building, and after a few more decent runs, a big slab of silver could be seen. I called for the net, and Kath did the honors. We were both amazed by the size of the fish flopping over the edge of our modest landing net, and stoked to have it safe and sound in the boat.

We headed off in search of Bommie, desperate to share our excitement over our prize catch. On the mat he went 52cm to the tip and 50cm fork length. The weight of the beast was truly impressive. These are big, thick, healthy fish. With photos taken and celebrations complete, we swam him for a bit but he was impatient to be on his way.

With a flick of his powerful tail he headed back for the depths after making our day.

Wivenhoe10May08016.jpg

Wivenhoe10May08013.jpg

The sun was getting low in the sky so we motored back at full speed, lures in tow more in hope than anything.

No more fish came to play (or could keep up with our lures!), and we made it back to the launching point right on dusk.

Wivenhoe10May08018.jpg

We had a few trials and tribulations re-loading on to the trailer, with Paul’s help we got it sorted and bumped our way back to the gates to make our way home. Somehow amongst all the action I managed to lose the clamp holding my transducer and a cheapo rod holder. Oh well, small price to pay to join the 50 club!

Pulling in at a servo at Fernvale on the way home for snacks, we found that we had also blown a fuse for our tail lights and had some dodgy wiring playing tricks with our trailer.

Fuses changed and wires jiggled, we hit the road again and eventually got home right on 8.00PM.

Certainly was a big day, but well worth the effort.

We’ll be back sooner than late.

Thanks Paul and the Bommies for a great afternoon, and congrats on the PB U_NT!

Sorry about the epic post, but I’m excited!

Great report UsernameTaken and Rocket. Congrats on the PB's.

Hey Rock, I like your grammar. You can write in English. You should be a writer and surely you'll give them a run for their money. ;) And hey, what a fat fish you got there!

EMP

bootyinblue wrote:

And I like the title as its clear and easy to understand in a few months time.

You are spot on BiB. I like to do my reports in a similar way, date + location in heading. I think it should be a standard for the reports. All the "yesterday" or "quick trip" nonsense because useless amongst 1000 other reports.:(

Nice fish guys! I'm hoping to get out again soonB)

nice fish guys congrads on the pbs well done

most of the fish you see on the sounder are bloody catfish but i have caught bass and cattys off the one show on the sounder so you never know stu recons he has got it sussed the cattys show up a lot thinner lines were the bass are bigger and thicker lines

Plastic Man wrote:

most of the fish you see on the sounder are bloody catfish but i have caught bass and cattys off the one show on the sounder so you never know stu recons he has got it sussed the cattys show up a lot thinner lines were the bass are bigger and thicker lines

yeh, look for the big fish on the sounder not the big schools of small ones

also I was told by a very reliable source that if bubbles start coming up where the schools are showing its the forktails.

Bommie wrote:

Plastic Man wrote:

yeh, look for the big fish on the sounder not the big schools of small ones

also I was told by a very reliable source that if bubbles start coming up where the schools are showing its the forktails.

I noticed that as well mate

I just discovered that I managed to close my car door on the tip of my sicstic :(

That was my first proper rod for lure fishing ... caught pretty much all of my good fish on it.

Oh well, I'm in the market for a new rod now, probably something a bit stiffer as I've got my rack raider for light fishing.

username_taken wrote:

I just discovered that I managed to close my car door on the tip of my sicstic :(

That was my first proper rod for lure fishing ... caught pretty much all of my good fish on it.

Oh well, I'm in the market for a new rod now, probably something a bit stiffer as I've got my rack raider for light fishing.

Depending on how much of the tip you broke. you might be able to glue on a new tip runner. And you then have a stiffer rod.

U_NT,

3 of the 4 rods we were using yesterday have all had minor surgery after similar incidents! Have found the slightly shorter ones are quite good for trolling the deeper diving lures.

My attempts at tip repair are fairly primative, but the result is functional, and that's good enough for me:)

Has the bass made it to the smoker yet?

Looking forward to my next "Big W" adventure, oh and Somerset, and Monduran, and Lenthalls.....:P

Here's one more photo of yesterday's PB...happy I am:blush:

[img size=418]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Wivenhoe_10_May_08_014.jpg

post-953-14459845778_thumb.jpg

Plastic Man wrote:

At the bass seminar at LRM I think it was that Harry Watson who said that the bass show up on the sounder as a more solid outline against cattys and yellas who have a higher fat content.

He said to catch one of each and tether them on a long dropper and swim them under the boat so that you can see the difference he said that it is quite easy to pick them once you have done this.

My problem would be catching the bass and the yella.

Cheers

Ray

I will just tack on my effort:unsure: from logans inlet.

I launched from logans Inlet at around 1300 and met Gary Fitz from Sweetwater and he wanted to know where were all the AFO boys so i told him they were all at Billeys bay.

It took a bit of mucking around before I got mobile as it was only the second trip in the canoe and the first with the new outrigger and the electric motor.

I had made up an elaborite tiller extension that was a disaster and took a bit of dismantleing before I really got going.

If anything the 46lb motor is too powerfull as I thought it was trolling too fast on low speed.

It was perfect conditions on the water being not a br]e]reath of wind.

Quite a few fish showing on the sounder. i was trilling a purple spinner bait behind and a 8m purple and a 3 m purple on each side.

I pulled up on a few schools and tried with spinners, silent jackalls and vaults with no success.

Headed back to ramp and managed one Wivenhoe trout on the 3 m lure.

Arrived back at ramp at 1700 and by the time i loaded the canoe etc the ranger turned up and gave me a friendly lecture that I was supposed be be off site by sunset which is at 1700.

There were still 2 boats out which were going to be locked in.

Cheers

Ray

Ready to unload.

P1010232AFO.jpg

Glass out around 3pm.

P1010233AFO.jpg

Wivenhoe Trout.

P1010234AFO.jpg

]

Shrimpo wrote:

Can i ask what ure meant to do when/if you get locked in?

And that canoe setup looks great.

Walk 3/4 mile up to the gate to read the 1800 number on the sign and pay a fee to be released or wait till the morning when you will have to pay an overnight camping fee.

I was not aware of the sunset time i thought it was 6pm.

Bommie i just wanted to see how the canoe went.

The first time I went out in it i was very uncomfortable from sitting too low so this time I took a milk crate alomg and it was much better so my next project is to increase the seating hight.

Cheers

Ray

Wivenhoe Trout. I love it lol.

Actually as much as a pest they are, they put up a good scrap. The bass Romeo got there on the other hand was a slug, he just wound it in. Rather disappointing. Hopefully it was the exception, and when we get into some bigger bass on our next trip (lol fingers crossed hey) it tows the canoe about:woohoo: Just gotta wait until we both get a day free, which doesn't happen often these days! :blink:

Edit: I just remembered what Gus calls them: Brisbane River Barramundi lol. It would definately be cool if they jump lol:laugh:

Nice rig Ray, Another person in the canoe should slow the troll speed down, if you need "ballast" I'm more than happy to lend you my 90kg:blush: :lol:

Conditions looked great, are there any decent spots that can be reached from the main ramp or are they all over at the Sailing club area?

Rocket

rayke1938 wrote:

Shrimpo wrote:
Can i ask what ure meant to do when/if you get locked in?

And that canoe setup looks great.

Walk 3/4 mile up to the gate to read the 1800 number on the sign and pay a fee to be released or wait till the morning when you will have to pay an overnight camping fee.

I was not aware of the sunset time i thought it was 6pm.

Bommie i just wanted to see how the canoe went.

The first time I went out in it i was very uncomfortable from sitting too low so this time I took a milk crate alomg and it was much better so my next project is to increase the seating hight.

Cheers

Ray

Ray I have a spare padded seat that works great for the canoe if you want it, I post a pic of it.

Sitting roughly in the middle like you do is the best way and keeping the canoe loaded so that it sits level in the water makes it so much easier on the stablity and paddling,

Matt

Archived