Around Moreton 250508

ellicat

Captain Benno573, Tacklebox, Kreel and myself headed out in the early morning chop to a few spots a bit north of Moreton then back inside and then Curtain Artificial before returning.

Benno was first on with a decent sized Grinner. Comments were made about jeff f missing out :P before throwing it out as a livie (without wire:unsure: ). Had a good hit but suffered a knot failure:( . Tacklebox had a double hookup:woohoo: on the paternoster with a just legal squire taking the top and a 30+ Moses taking the bottom. The squire went back for next time and the Moses was kept for fear it may part the sea.:laugh: I pulled in a parrot which was just legal. It went to the esky. Then the Hussar showed up in plague proportions – all just bait stealers around 20cm. I think a couple of reasonable size Sweep came in also.

Moved around a bit and everything seemed to be a bit quiet when the grinner got snapped up. Enough weight to make it a bit tuff to remove the rod from the holder and about 10 seconds of drag peeling off ended with one bite off. Guess it was a shark. :evil:

Moved again and found a patch of Sweep, Trevs and Scorpion cod. Kreel had some fun bringing in a couple of the sweep hooked through the ring. Better hooked there – quicker than swallowing the hook for a slow passage to the same spot. Also makes the fishermen think the catch is bigger than it is.;) Tacklebox picked up the best meal of the day with the 46cm Trev (as entered in the FOTM comp).

Pulled into the beach for lunch. While Kreel and I lazed on the sand, Tacklebox and Benno collected some hardie heads in the castnet. They were thick in the water and have hard heads.

After that we headed down to Curtain to watch a fella in another boat on a decent hookup. After about 10mins he brought in a largish batfish. He and his crew seemed quite happy with themselves before releasing it.

Then the highlight of the day occurred when a Kingy about 6 foot long visited us. It swam around us for about 20 minutes chomping up the berley, but only looking at the identical baits floated within. Anticipation was high until he decided he’d had a big enough feed of the berley and went off for a snooze and giggle elsewhere.

Headed home on a glassed out bay watching the sun set (in the west).

Cheers to the skip and crew for another great day on the water.

Pics to follow…

yeah a good day out despite a few electrical complications early on...:angry: somewhere in there i caught my pb pearlie (first one so had to be a pb) of 37cm, so i'll be having a good feed tonight! thanks again to the crew, good company, good laughs and good looking, especially ms ellicat. :laugh: would have been awesome to get a hook up on that kingy, it was MASSIVE!!! :woohoo: next time maybe... thanks for the reoprt ellicat... no thanks for the photo :blink: but i am sure shortie got a laugh out of it... :laugh:

and thanks to ellicat for the clarifications on where the sun comes up and goes down. i would never have known otherwise. kreel might, seeing as though he works at the museum... :silly:

yeah mate, the prado proved a trip-saver yesterday. had the battery on charge in the boat for 3 days prior to the trip, turned over beautifully at home on sat night, at the ramp on sunday, nothing. :angry: borrowed the battery from the prado (after attempts to crank start it), which worked great, only to find a fuse blown in the boat. no probs, got spares... need a 15, i had a 7.5, 10 and 20. f*** it. borrowed a fuse from the prado and we were on our way.

all of this may have been avoided if i had remembered the portable jump-start thingo... :angry: oh well, prado saved the day! :)

and shortie, i am sure those parts are way too good for a pajero... :P

Just got off the phone to a seasoned Kingy catcher. He said last time they went through a block of pillies without any success in tempting them. Then they tried an eg with immediate results:woohoo: The fight was over in a matter of seconds though:laugh:

Great report ellicat! Pity about your shark - it would've been great to watch. I had a bust off at Curtain when I decided to live on the edge and use 8lb leader. Doubt it was the kingy but it felt decent. Ah well, you live, you learn!

It was another fantastic day on the water and cheers to Benno for the invite. Here's Benno's pearler of a pearlie...[br] [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1020214.jpg

post-2560-144598459126_thumb.jpg

kriso wrote:

shortie wrote:
From what i here who needs a boat shop when a prado is a great source of spare parts for the boat.

Wonder if them parts fit a Pajero

coming from the guy with the little engine in his patrol hahahhaa

yet is has more torque than yours... :blink::P :silly:

Thanks for the great report ECat and thanks to the skipper for another great day out :) .

Benno let Tacklebox jump ship :ohmy: and try to wrangle a seat on Funfisher's boat :angry: , I'll still be there and eventually I'm sure to catch something :S .

So eCat let me get this straight, the sun came up in the same place as last time - the EAST :P and just where did it set again? :blink:

benno573 wrote:

kriso wrote:
shortie wrote:
From what i here who needs a boat shop when a prado is a great source of spare parts for the boat.

Wonder if them parts fit a Pajero

coming from the guy with the little engine in his patrol hahahhaa

yet is has more torque than yours... :blink::P :silly:

It just like me. All torque

ellicat wrote:

quote Pulled into the beach for lunch. While Kreel and I lazed on the sand, Tacklebox and Benno collected some hardie heads in the castnet. They were thick in the water and have hard heads.

Was that at the sand dunes near the wrecks as their was a guy cast netting while we were over their around lunch time.

AZZA wrote:

ellicat wrote:

quote Pulled into the beach for lunch. While Kreel and I lazed on the sand, Tacklebox and Benno collected some hardie heads in the castnet. They were thick in the water and have hard heads.

Was that at the sand dunes near the wrecks as their was a guy cast netting while we were over their around lunch time.

Yep - that was probably benno. Was he bare chested showing off his back fat?:laugh: :laugh:

It was around lunch time - just north of Curtain

Archived