describe your worse fish sting/bite ever.

AngGoLee

Wondering if any of you guys had the worst sting/bite by any marine creatures ever>? and if so feel free to share some remedies ....

yesterday went fishing down the coast caught a spiny rabbitfish and in the process of trying to remove the hook , the fish decided to do a flip on its own and the spines went into my finger .. the next thing i knew i was in pain for almost 30 mins:( :( .. the end result is a jab from the doctor and a very swollen finger and worst of all the fishing stopped... just wondering if any of you guys would like to share some of your experience in dealing with such incident .. i heard that Hot water helps to relieve the pain ..:) :)

Got done by a little black cod from under the Fisherman's Island bridge when I was about 20. That hurt for a while. Like benno I've had plenty of blue bottles when surf fishing. Mainly around the ankles. Stings a bit but is bearable. I've got a couple of ankle stockings in the tackle bag these days just in case, but I've only ever worn them on my head.

Water as hot as you can stand is the tip I've heard to hasten the pain recovery. Stingose works on bluebottle stings. Other than that it's just grimace and bear it I think. :pinch:

ellicat wrote:

Got done by a little black cod from under the Fisherman's Island bridge when I was about 20. That hurt for a while. Like benno I've had plenty of blue bottles when surf fishing. Mainly around the ankles. Stings a bit but is bearable. I've got a couple of ankle stockings in the tackle bag these days just in case, but I've only ever worn them on my head.

Water as hot as you can stand is the tip I've heard to hasten the pain recovery. Stingose works on bluebottle stings. Other than that it's just grimace and bear it I think. :pinch:

ice as well for blue bottles.

I got stung on both arms and neck by box jelly fish whist duckdiving under a wave when surfing in darwin. Hurt like hell and have scars across both elbows to show for it. I have also stood on a sea urchin which hurt and stung by blue bottles but I have never experienced any other pain like the box jelly can afflict

bretto wrote:

I got stung on both arms and neck by box jelly fish whist duckdiving under a wave when surfing in darwin. Hurt like hell and have scars across both elbows to show for it. I have also stood on a sea urchin which hurt and stung by blue bottles but I have never experienced any other pain like the box jelly can afflict

Ouch.. I've had nothing so far B)

The most pain ive been in is when i was cast netting off jindalee boat ramp and i was bringing my net up and didnt realise there was a bloody bullrout at the top of the net and i pretty munch grabbed it with my hole hand. biggest shock to feel spikes and see a bullrout :ohmy: 30seconds later extreme pain for about 15min then started to gradully die down a bit. Feels as if 100 green ants had bitten u one the hand :unsure:

AngGoLee wrote:

Wondering if any of you guys had the worst sting/bite by any marine creatures ever>? and if so feel free to share some remedies ....

yesterday went fishing down the coast caught a spiny rabbitfish and in the process of trying to remove the hook , the fish decided to do a flip on its own and the spines went into my finger .. the next thing i knew i was in pain for almost 30 mins:( :( .. the end result is a jab from the doctor and a very swollen finger and worst of all the fishing stopped... just wondering if any of you guys would like to share some of your experience in dealing with such incident .. i heard that Hot water helps to relieve the pain ..:) :)

same been stung by happy moment fish hurt for more then 1hr and the fish was already dead. on a side note they do pull hard for their size

when i was a younger ratbag i had a cattie of bout 30cm on and i was swinging it round and tried to cast it over to the bridge about 30 mts away to hit a car or sumfin(ratbag when i was younger:P ) and it wasnt gunna make it so i reefed back and it came flying back heading right for my family jewels..i quickly turned around and the cattie slammed in to my butt...and one of the side spines went all the way in to my inner thigh and snapped off!:ohmy:

rushed to hospital and had it cut out...the pain was sooo bad i had tunnel vision all the way to the hospital...karma i say for trying a stupid thing!

lesson learnt

^^^^ hahahaha.

Worst I've had is in my fish tank. Was moving some pumps around and didn't think about my snowflake eel. He came up under the rockwork and had smash at my finger. Nothing major, just a bit of blood but thats as bad as its gotten for me.

Do blue bottles (jellyfish) count?

Man I have been destroyed by them while surfing at pergian. The toxins have actually left scars on the thighs and hips. It looks like a burn with the really bad ones the way the skin bubbles up.

In winter, when the surf is good though sometimes its so cold you dont notice right way. I think thats why they get you do bad.

Angus

Can't believe I am going to tell you all this but when I was about mmm 7 or so my parents were/are lets just say one with nature!! Mum loved to go nudey rudy at our fishing cabbin up the east coast of South Africa....it was a very secluded spot. Anyway I was fishin we my Dad (no he wasn't nudy rudy!) but Mum decided to take a dip in a big rock pool she sat down in the cool water only to have a great big blue bottle sting her right up the Japanese Flag!! She screamed so loud my old man thought someone had been shot! Only to turn to see mum sitting in the sand looking like a Multese poodle dragging it's butt accross the sand!!! Poor Mum!

I had a close call with a sea snake once.......just missed out on being bitten. Plenty of blue bottle and sea urchins from surfing reef spots.

But that Box Jellyfish story ...man....u are one lucky guy to be still standing!

Batty

Dropped a bass on my foot whilst taking out the hook...one of the large spikes on his pec fins went straight through my crocs and into the joint where my big toe joins my foot. not much blood, but hurt like hell for an hour or so and continued to ache for the rest of the day.

can't beat Jimmybob though:blink:

Rocket

careful using water or sand for jellyfish stings tho - it tends to move more stinging cells onto your skin and increases the damage by getting you stung more.

dowsing with vinegar is best as it neutralises the remaining stingers and hopefully keeps your uncomfyness at a bearable level

planetfonz wrote:

careful using water or sand for jellyfish stings tho - it tends to move more stinging cells onto your skin and increases the damage by getting you stung more.

dowsing with vinegar is best as it neutralises the remaining stingers and hopefully keeps your uncomfyness at a bearable level

but DO NOT use vinegar on blue bottle stings. vinegar neutralizes the neurotoxins in cuboza jellyfish stings (box, irikanji etc) extremely effectively, however, it actually aggrovates the nematocysts (stinging bits) in the tentacles of the blue bottle, causing them to release more and more venom into the sting. remove tentacles with water/tweezers and then ice the area or as ellicat said stingos for the minor ones.

got pricked buy a bullrout while trying to get it of the hook it was only about 10cm long but blody well hurt :angry: :angry: only had coke to put on it and ice this was early in the morning up jackson ck at nudgee had to put up with the pain for the rest of the morning:( waas not good

ellicat wrote:

I've got a couple of ankle stockings in the tackle bag these days just in case, but I've only ever worn them on my head.

Anything else you want to confess to me while you are on a roll?

I have had my fair share of bluebottles from the Sydney beaches and remember bathing in vinegar to soothe the stings. Also had one or 2 decent flathead spikes and have used the old wives tale of rubbing the wound on the fishes belly to soothe it (not sure it works, but rather some sort of satanic blood swapping ritual)

Believe it or not!!!

A grass sweetlip that had been dead for 24hrs. I caught one around Mud Is and gilled and gutted it pretty much straight away. The next day at home I was preparing it for cooking and spiked my thumb with the dorsal fin. My thumb swelled up and went black and doughy. I had no feeling in it for over a week. Apparently they have a venom that prevents blood from clotting and you just bleed into the surrounding tissue until the thumb or whatever cant hold any more blood.

Aussie

it was not me but a mate we caught a catfish and he went to kick it in the water and then went down in pain the spike went through his foot and he just brought a new pair of nike hightops(fashion at the time)as he went to take his shoe off he could not move his shoe so we called the ambulance the came ,they had to cut his shoe off to get to the spike he did not know weather to laugh or cry,it was the look on his face when they said they had to cut his shoe off i:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: my head off he still had one good nike

Had a muddie grab onto my finger years ago, well it only just nicked me but it was enough for me to get stitches. Also 2 years ago my mate ran our houseboat aground near some oyster leases and im pretty sure i stepped on an oyster shell and cut my foot. luckily we were on our way back to the mariner because the next day i was in the doctors surgery with a bad infection and almost ended up in hospital

I was bait jigging once and came up with a few small happy moments. I crouched down and lifted the rod tip up to try and get the one off the bottom hook, the one on the top hook of the jig swung in and spiked me in the eyebrow. I was pretty lucky not to get spiked in the eye.

I held a couple of frozen pillies up to my eye to kill the pain, japanese tourist boarding a boat at the mariner had no idea what was going on.

oh dear where do i start:blush:

i used to work for a company called australian marine research

catching marine aquarium specimins for sale and study

i've been stung by bullrout x1, happymoments x 6, stingray x 1,

fortescue x too many,cat fish x plenty,shortfinned lionfish(antonadus) x2,copped a wetsuit full of hydriod fern and been bitten by a fair few small moray eels. but the absolute worst was a longfinned lionfish(volutans) talk about agony 12 hours of misery the pain throbs with every heartbeat and all of your joints ache multiply a happymoment sting by 100 and you have some idea of the pain

not marine, but about 6 weeks ago my girlfriend got bitten by a rat ( she works at the rspca on weekends ). Within hours it was horrifically infected and swollen, had to take her to the hospital and she was put on IV antibiotics. After it settled down the tip was still swollen. last week they cut her finger open and found a rats tooth stuck in there.

a couple of years ago there were heaps of jellys that died on a beach so my and my friends made a chair of jellyfish and every1 sat on it lol and that night we all had stings all over the back of your legs arms, back some on the stomach and some on the neck haha

also had heaps of fish droped onto my leg and that were there spikes all pricked me but none too deep

while prawning, at night time, in tuggerah lake nsw, barefoot, stepped on a stingray.

It obviously chucked the sh*ts and thought somebody was trying to attack him, so he took off at a million miles an hour and the barb ripped through my foot side-to-side.

It was waist deep water with a nice current running and i lost balance, unable to plant my feet due to pain for about a hundred metres before i realised i was going to end up in the channel if i didn't do sumptin.

somewhat painful for about 2 months.

needless to say, i now wear boots when prawning.

Well not really a fish bite, but I managed to put a set of trebles into the old mans chin when I was younger. The most annoying thing was we had pack up and leave from a red hot fishing trip, and it didn't even scar! :P

BTW - for fish bites/stings that require hot water as the first aid, I've been told a good way to get heat on the go (as most peeps don't have hot water handy when fishing) is to set your car heater to nuke, and put the fan on full. If it is a sting on the foot, select foot well heating etc. For a hand, use the top vents etc.

I havent had anything to bad mabee a luer in my back or a flathead wound but my mate recons he got stung by a 4cm bullrout in the castnet but he wasent in much pain and it went away quick. So to the others that have been stung by bullrout how saw is it. We have caught many bullrout in the castnet and in scoop net but the biggest I have ever seen was about 35cm and my mate got it in a scoop net it was massive that would give a nasty sting.

haha i was waiting to see what jeff was going to say, knew he would have some awesome stories.

and poor jimmybob thats incredibly unlucky.

how good is the rat one though!! ouch

bullrought are very painful, like someone said earlier ive wraped my hands around one in the cast net and the pain is real bad. the worst pain ive ever felt in my life was standing right on top of a cat fish spine then having to tear the jagged spine outa the foot pulling skin and meat with it. wasnt good.

Archived