NP DAM comp..report!

James W

tough day....not many fish landed today but as always awesome to catch up with all the old faces and meet some new ones...i had a donut today:(

a big congrats to the winners faulked and ash..well done fellas:)

and username taken- thanx for the snags! awesome!

angus- thanx again for the get together..you are a champ B)

my bro damo with his first yella [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00218.jpg

post-180-144598470495_thumb.jpg

The fish made us work hard today.

That said, I was suprised that we caught as many as we did given how poorly the dam has been fishing in the morning of late.

Well done to everyone lucky enough to get onto a fish.

I covered plenty of territory in search of those elusive bass, and the only hit I got between 7.00 and 10.30am was on a slug at Bullocky's. One hit:) = one hookup:) = one lost to the snags:ohmy: = lots of bad words under breath:angry:

As a last throw of the dice I hit the little point to the right of Mcgavins.

With an hour to fish the slugs were getting nothing, so I switched to a Storm 5 inch paddle tail SP on a 3/4 ounce(21g)TT jig head.

I had never caught a Bass on SP, so my confidence was low, but I had bought those big jig-heads specifically for casting at the distant schools today, so I gave it a go.

2nd cast got whacked mid retrieve and after a quick fight a healthy bass was dragged through the grass:woohoo: and onto the bragmat.

He measured up a touch under 44cm and I was stoked to have my first SP Bass and to be on the board with a decent fish...finally!

After photos he darted off with a splash and I attempted to find his mates.

3 casts later and no more bass evident, I was slow rolling the plastic though some weeds 15m out from shore when the rod loaded up and the heavy set drag started peeling off.

PB was the first thought, but a big flash of pinky/orange on the surface had me wondering what the hell had inhaled my lure.

After a bit of muscle work on the 15lb braid I bought into the shallows my first ever (PB!) lungfish.

He had snaffled my sp, but the jig head was pinned nicley in his top lip, so after showing him off for a photo (in the water as they are prtoected), the pliers were called for and the lungie was on it's way.

Thanks to Bayden and Lisbeth for witnessing and helping capture the moment.

All in all a frustrating but ultimatly rewarding morning, and great to catch up with the AFO family at the BBQ.

Thanks Angus for organising and congrats to the prize winners.

Rocket

[img size=385]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_24_Aug_08_003.jpg

post-953-144598470513_thumb.jpg

I've got a few general pics

I'll post later.

Alex and I did not catch anything, but we saw "blowfly" Gorrie in action, cruise along and where ever he spots a AFO member fishing - has a cast next to them and voila - big fat yella!

Was interesting this morning watching a pair of young lads proceed to launch a canoe and troll around in the main bay in front of Bullockies. A Bright yellow canoe by the way, that AFO members fishing at McGavins could see all the way across the dam!.

They were a little surprised when the Ranger rolled up and had a few words!

Anyway I made plenty of sacrifices to the Donut God today, so my luck must change shortly.

I lost

2 G Vibes

2 Slugs

1 Buzzbait

1 Chatterbait

and numerous plastics!

I personally had an awesome day!

I have been targeting yellas on lures for ages and (not complaining) the bass always seem to get in the way. So I was stoked after about an hour of casting to land my first NP, first lure caught yella today! Woot. The fish went 43cm and fought very well.

Only about 30 minutes later I was on again to a much heavier harder fighting fish. This one nearly bricked me but i manged to coax it out of the weeds and the fight was back on. You can imagine after already getting my yella on lure how stoked I was by upgrading that to a 44cm fish in the same day.

Most people caught a fish or two but it was slim and tough pickings.

However I guess this just makes it more of a comp hey :P

Thanks to everyone who came along and to those that gave a hand. Most appreciated.

Angus

Picture: My first. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-b7712e616f379c66fe91daf619572c27.jpg

post-63-144598470517_thumb.jpg

This is actually a post for Rocket. Congratulations on the awesome pb Lungfish and here are the photos of the event. By the way I do work for the Queensland Museum and someone will be calling you Monday morning :ohmy: :angry: about the endangered Neoceratodus forsteri you had on the end of that line... only joking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[br] [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Rocket_lungfish_01.jpg

post-2889-144598470526_thumb.jpg

Well George and I fished Forgans cove from 6:45am to about 10:30am to catch nothing not even a touch. So then we got a lift to Mcgavins ( thanks Magiva ) we walked down passed the AFO group that were fishing we then stoped just after them. Threw out the spinnerbait and after a few more casts then lost it. Then I tied on a 3/4 jighead and put a baby bass slider grub on. Few casts latter and I was on after a small fight in comes a 41cm bass ( 38cm fl ). Fished till 12:30pm for nothing more and went up to the BBQ. Cant find camera at the moment so will post pics up when I find it.

So got up at 4:30am all excited for a big day fishing the NPD with Tacklebox :woohoo: . I have to admit it was a beautiful morning :) , until I lost the first lure a spinner bait :huh: followed through the day by my new R2S phantom 70 :( and a Halco slug :angry: . All in all not such a big loss for a great day - my first at NPD and my first day exclusively on lures :cheer: . We started at Forgan's at about 6am working our way round to the east finished here around 8 am - donut. Moved to Bullocky's and met up with the 2 guys being told off by the ranger for fishing from a canoe - met Feral, g'day Feral :) . Worked our way from the point round to the east finished around 10:30am - donut. Moved to MacGavins and met up with Faulked and Chubbstar - hi guys :cheer: . Then down to the water to fish alongside Rocket, we were there to see his 44cm bass and took the pics of him treating a Lungfish with the respect a living fossil deserves, hi Rod and congrats on the 2 great fish :cheer: . finished around 11:45am - donut. A very steady and consistent morning - I think I might take a personal day at work and head here through the week.

Thanks to Gus for another excuse to be fishing and good to see all the usual guys at the event and some new faces as well. It would be nice to see a few of the AFO ladies at more of these events, I know you're out there.

Oh and thankyou to Paul for the expert skills on the BBQ.

I started at the southern flags and worked that bank towards where the flags used to be picking up a 40cm bass on the way on a s/bait. As I rounded the corner I saw Jayson and Jason enjoying themselves hooked into a small school they found. Had a few casts 50mts from them and got nothing so I moved a little closer and picked up a 43cm, just after this the school moved sorry fellas. Finished over near the dam wall where I got zilch. Had a nice day though met a few of the crew I hadn't met before.

Not much to report from me. Tried all sorts of things - slugs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, plastics... not a touch :( Still, I had a great day and it was good to put a few more faces to the names.

The most exciting part (besides watching Rocket catch his bass and lungy) was when I dragged in an old bait trap with a River2Sea Twin Vib stuck to it. Score! :woohoo: I chucked it in my lure box and thought nothing of it till I got home and opened the box. It reeked! :X I've since given it a scrub and it's come up a treat :)

Thanks again Angus for putting on another great event. It's a shame more people didn't turn up. Maybe when it gets a bit warmer we can try it again :)

tacklebox wrote:

Not much to report from me. Tried all sorts of things - slugs, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, plastics... not a touch :( Still, I had a great day and it was good to put a few more faces to the names.

The most exciting part (besides watching Rocket catch his bass and lungy) was when I dragged in an old bait trap with a River2Sea Twin Vib stuck to it. Score! :woohoo: I chucked it in my lure box and thought nothing of it till I got home and opened the box. It reeked! :X I've since given it a scrub and it's come up a treat :)

Thanks again Angus for putting on another great event. It's a shame more people didn't turn up. Maybe when it gets a bit warmer we can try it again :)

probably one i lost,lost a few of those there good score

No piccys but I had a good day scored 2 bass on shrimp and donated 4 spinnerbaits and 3 slugs to the lure gods. Took out equal 3 prize with rocket.

Beaut snags Paul.

Tom we will make up for a slow day when we get to GlenLyon.

Thanks to all who helped to make it a good day and a good chinwag session at the barby.

Cheers

Ray

Hi

Today was my first go at freshwater fishing..

Lost 3 lures and damn that grass is long in spots.:blink:

No fish but did get general idea on how it seems to go.

Rocket - was watching ya round at McGavin's between casts. Think I need to put more effort into twitching and a slower retrieve.:blush:

Met some of more the guys.

Stocked up on lures and slugs so should be out there again...If it takes me a few trips to get a fish, so be it.

So I got back home from a few sly drinks at 3am this morning... and there was NO chance I would wake up at 5am. Even if I have woken up, the boys in blue would have had bailed me up if I would have attempted to drive.

Txt Jason (faulked) that I'd catch up with him and Jayson a bit later on in the morning.

Woke up at noon ... no fishing for me :( Would have been good to have caught up with some oldies and meet some newies.

Sparksie wrote:

...Rocket - was watching ya round at McGavin's between casts. Think I need to put more effort into twitching and a slower retrieve.:blush:

So Sparksie...I'm slow and twitchy am I:angry: :ohmy: :silly: :P

It's not an easy dam to fish at times and I'm still a relative newby in bass fishing too. What little I know is from watching, reading and experimenting. There are lots of casts between fish I'm afraid, but the eventual rush of success is worth it

It took me 6 trips to NPD to catch my first fish there, so hang in there and keep at it. You'll get plenty of good Bassin tips from the more experienced fellas so don't be afriad to ask questions (even if they seem stupid!:blush: ).

Rocket

OK go make a coffee, Kick back, Relax and get ready to read this novel that I've had to type:blush: Ya ready? Here it comes any way.......

Got to Jase's/Faulked's house at around 4:30am to find him eagerly waiting out the front of his house with his rods in hand and a "lets get out off here" look on his face.....

We headed off for our adventure in record time, had a quick stop at a tackle shop(emergency lure purchase) and a bakery for some breky. Got to NPD and started our long,dark walk to our fishing spot(Cant remember the name, Jase wil tell). After a smoke and a drink of iced coffee I worked up the courage to step in the water. Made it to my ankles and had to stop for a little while to get used to the water, Damn it was cold. Anyways had a few casts and hooked up:woohoo: It had a little bit of pull and bricked me half way in. I let a little bit of line out and the fish took some slack so the fight continued, Got him in and noticed it was tagged:blink: My first tagged Bass and it measured 32cm. Recorded the info on the tag and set it free to fight another day. I was stoked "NO DOUGHNUTS FOR ME TODAY:woohoo: "

Not sure how long it was after, but got a great hit in close, this was a better fish that pulled a little bit of drag. I turned its head and started fighting it in. Yep you guessed it BRICKED again:angry: . I had to stuff around with this one for a while before getting it out. I got it to my feet and nticed the hooks in the side of it's mouth and gills:blink: My leader had wrapped itself around the hooks and it wasn't looking good to land. but luck prevailed and I landed it. 44cm Bass and I was looking good with 2 fish landed in an hour or two.

Jase was haveing some serious troubles with birds nests. Every second or third cast turned into a knott:angry: How he didn't spit the dummy has got me buggerd. Dino the Bass master showed up out of no where:ohmy: He must of smelled the Bass from across the dam and homed in onto us;) Yes I thought, If The Bass Master is here the Bass must be:woohoo: After a good chat with Dino, Jase hooked up to a fish, Got bricked and lost it:angry: . We both hooked up a few times and just kept looseing them to the snags:( . Jase finaly get one free from the weeds and landed the winner 45cm:woohoo: :woohoo:

24082008055AFO.jpg

24082008056AFO.jpg

After a little while Dino homed in and fished with us. A couple of casts later and he's on!!!:woohoo:

Sorry not sure what in measured:blush:

24082008057AFO.jpg

I hooked up a little while later and this was the fish of the day for me. It put up a hell of a fight, Nothing like the first 2. I friggen lost it, BRICKED again farkkk. I couldn't get this one out and it ended up rubbing threw my 12lb leader.

That was the end of our Bass fishing for the day. Lost a few slugs and a spinner bait.

Got to the Meet and Greet and found out that Jase was leading the race:blink: We had a good yarn to all the other members. Was great catching up again. Well done to all that competed.

A special thanks to Angus for makeing this happen!!

Some pics...

24082008058AFO.jpg

24082008060AFO.jpg

24082008062AFO.jpgWell done Ash!!!

Ash V's Jimmybob..... Ash is the VICTOR!!!!

24082008063AFO.jpg

And the prize go's to one of the founding members of the J TEAM

24082008064AFO.jpg

Sorry for the grammer, I'm buggerd:blush: Will edit it later.

Oh and Terry, You're soft mate:P

Thanks for reading.

Jayson

Archived