Old Scaley

Smoking fish - who does it?

I know they are hard to light, but apart from that, does anyone have any thoughts about smoking fish? I have a few trevally fillets frozen after a recent charter trip that didn't yield much else and was thinking about smoking them because I don't particularly like the taste of them. Just saw Julian's (demarc) report on an overnighter where he says he smokes the trevally so thought I would see what equipment, fish and methods people are using. Thanks, Steve.

Ask me again after June Straddy trip!

Going to get a small one and try dart and tailor fillets Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="//content.invisioncic.com/r264089/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">

Angus

P.S. I will look forward to sifting through this thread for tips later!

I use me very ancient hot smoker with hickory chips and a methylated spirit heater. Brined fish, fresh or saltwater species, honey or brown sugar marinade, 9-10 minutes and its done to a T. Smokers are available from good tackle shops. The smoke chips are the real secret. Enjoy. Tight Lines. :cheer: Ian M

Please login or register to see this link.
/>http://eatmypix.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/the-joys-of-smoking/

and unrelated to fish .....
/>http://eatmypix.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/americana-low-n-slow-a-view-from-the-pit/

pm me if you need any more advice. cheers Sweresy

Truthfully smoking fish isn't hard at all. Its an easy way to prepare oily fish and the results are outstanding. You really just need a half decent smoker and it will last for years.. On toast with mayo or in fish cakes the next day... Bloody tops.

Please login or register to see this quote.

Perfect mate! I did mine on the weekend to. Bit different, but nearly the same... I soaked mine in brine the same amount of time, but I cooked it for 3 hours at 50C and 1 hour at 60C. I also used some burbon in my water tray. Turned out perfect! Below is the smoker I use.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/301090609886?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

Great informative post! Thanks so much Porta Bloke. 

Welcome to AFO.

Do you have any recommendations on what smokers to buy or how to build your own? The old ones I have had are the little metho boxes that only take about 20 mins to smoke. 

Cheers Drop Bear. 

Which smoker or smokehouse can get complicated. If one wants to get really serious there is moisture content, (humidity)accurate temp gauges (spikes in product) , smoke spreaders for more even smoke, timers..

As ive said, brine is the most important part. Next is a good coverage of smoke, and cook the product well. Honestly ive never used a small smoker like the metho one you mentioned. I know a lot of people swear by them, but ive never tasted what they are swearing about... 

Personally, I like a bar fridge size home made smoker. Hot coals in a tray on the bottom (can use heat beads or coals from separate fire). A tray with wet sawdust or wet woodchips in or beside the coals. A 'spreader' above. A spreader is like a pasta strainer that makes the smoke even out as it rises above.

Above that are racks to hold fish, meat whatever. Also the racks can be taken out and product can be hung. I prefer Trout hung not racked. There is a trick to is to stop the fish falling off the spear. Eels also.

You don't need a chimney at the top. A spud bag can simply be put over the top.

Lastly, To stop your sawdust or chips catching fire, you must limit the intake of air. This is done from the bottom. If the fire gets too much air is when you get flame trouble. You need to walk the line between smothering the fire to make smoke, and keeping it hot enough to cook. Like anything, it takes a bit of practice.  Smoking would be more popular if people got a good result. Most don't. But you can get restaurant quality product with only a little practice. I suggest practicing on some freshwater Eels. You will know when you get it right.

May do a youtube vid some time this year on it.

I have only just started smoking fish - I use this cheapie:

Please login or register to see this link.

The smoker came with scribbly gum and iron bark sawdust. I use it on the BBQ rather than the metho burners that came with it so you have better control of the heat. I mostly smoke fish wings and the odd fillet (skin and scales on) but have smoked chicken legs in there too which turned out great. I brine overnight in brown sugar, salt, water and soy, wash the brine off in fresh water, leave uncovered in the fridge to dry for a few hours again and then smoke for about 20-30 mins with the BBQ on low (around 150oC). Make sure you get the temp stable before you put the fish in or else it can overcook it. And use enough sawdust that will last the smoking time. The results are definitely worth the effort!

Please login or register to see this image. /monthly_2018_10/image.jpeg.a35456759bec35ee01cada329d6ea6cf.jpeg" alt="image.jpeg.a35456759bec35ee01cada329d6ea6cf.jpeg" />