Monduran 20/11/to 30/11 2009.

rayke1938

Booty this will see you right

Something around the 4 to 8 kilo mark for a rod will do (I've seen Ferg catch i metre plus on a 2-4 kilo rod, but then again he has been barra fishing for 40 years)

Trolling minimum 30lb braid 40 lb leader (You can use the casting gear for trolling, but if you not going to be casting you dont need the heavy gear)

casting minimum 50lb braid 60lb leader

Lures, a couple of trays of stuff around the 100 - 150mm mark, from surface down to 8m. Golds are popular - but allow space in budget to buy a couple from Foxies on the trip, as no doubt the barra will be biting on something you dont have (Rule No1 of Barra fishing trips!)

reel, something that has a bit of drag and can handle a reasonable amount of the above sized line. Doesn't have to cost a squillion.

I'd suggest at least two rod and reel setups, most take 3 or more.

Oh and for the metery, go with the grenade for a garanteed catch. I think I had done about 6 Barra dam trips before I broke the metre mark. (2 trips with no barra at all)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheapest retail prices for lures are at Big w .halcos are normally around $10.50 instead of $15 plus at other outlets. Gadens barra classics similarly priced.

You will need a range of running depths depending on what depths the fish are currently at and whether you are casting or trolling.

Then another small fortune on soft plastics and jig heads.

Then you will have to think about modifying the soft plastics.

Trimming weights.

Boiling them.

Punching holes in the tails.

Then there are boof frogs.

Probably will be more all guaranteed to catch fish if you listen to the tackle salesman. ( I have never seen their profession rated but i would believe that their credibility would be down there with politicians,and used car salespersons.)

I will put up a post on making twisted leaders when I return from my one months no fishing purgatory.

Cheers

Ray

• 1 month later...

Angus wrote:

Angus wrote:
I might try and get there as well and right it off as my Birthday present (birthday is the 17th).

Cheers.

Angus

Actually cancel that. I will need to be in Bris Vegas for BRC.

Cheers.

Angus

kriso shortie booty and I are not heading up until the Monday following the gazetted BRC dates.

So we will be there from 23/11 to 27/11 inclusive.

I had not noticed the dates for the BRC had been moved forward - Alex wont be happy about missing the BRC this year! But that's life I suppose! I have to fit in with when my missus is working anyway, so I am likely to be doing the trip up and down twice.

I might be heading up there around this time too...just cause i like the place so 'dam' much...might have to meet up for a beer somewhere hey! Though the pub at gin gin is a bit too far for my liking! :silly:

I'll give yas a yell closer to the time to be sure, but it'd be good to meet some experienced anglers from the afo team :P

Can't wait to fish the dam again...though it's starting to get a bit cold now. :S

Cheers

Nat

rayke1938 wrote:

Barra fishing comes first unless Angus wishes to include Monduran in the classic boundaries and then we could fish both.

Cheers

Ray

I agree, rather fish monduran than bris river, as this is looking like my one fishing trip for the year :dry:

Can't wait:woohoo:

Nat - Experienced fishos? Pfft.... I have never fished fresh water before!

Ray - I was going to put my yak in the boat incase I wanted to fish from a yak some of the time, but taking into consideration the alcohol banter I will be to 'unhealthy' to paddle my yak and too p!ssed to drive my boat. Oh well that just leaves time for more drinking I guess.

Let me make a couple of points.

·Have we got our timing right with the moon phase and the spawning run?

·I though we researched the calendar to coincide with the same timing as last year.

·I know there is no guarantee that the fish will still cooperate but surely we have to be close. Best guess based on science and history.

·If our timing is ahead of things we would be better off attending the BRC for 2 days then heading north

·If our timing is behind we need to get to Monduran asap BRC or not.

·I don’t think the house can be delayed 2 days. I think when we booked they said from this day only.

·Does anyone have time to review our dates, compare to last year and see if we have got it right?

·Too hard – stuff it – let’s go barra fishing.

PS – I’m off to Straddie for a week – 4 more work days to go. nananananananna

Yoodles82 wrote:

I might be heading up there around this time too...just cause i like the place so 'dam' much...might have to meet up for a beer somewhere hey! Though the pub at gin gin is a bit too far for my liking! :silly:

now. :S

Cheers

Nat

Pub is way too far, you won't need to go past the cabin with the alco's in it for a beer mate. You know the cabin with the alco, the bum, the ?? and the bean counter.

The happy hour spot will be in Ray's Boat between 7.30am and 10am then agiain in the arvo from 3pm to dark.

Brian D wrote:

Yoodles82 wrote:

now. :S

Cheers

Nat

Pub is way too far, you won't need to go past the cabin with the alco's in it for a beer mate. You know the cabin with the alco, the bum, the ?? and the bean counter.

The happy hour spot will be in Ray's Boat between 7.30am and 10am then agiain in the arvo from 3pm to dark.

hahhaha which one in that group am i brian? lol

Brian D wrote:

:laugh: Sounds good to me...hope to see yas up there :)

rayke1938 wrote:

Only 7 months to go and i am excited already.

Do you guys realise that we will be there during the dark of the moon so we may have to use some of that booze to light navigation beacons so we can find our way home.

Cheers

Ray

I dont think anyone is big enough to pry it out of my hands to use for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Travis there will be room in the house. Are you looking at coming for the whole 10 days or just for a few? Feral wont be there for the weekends as his missus works and i think a couple of others wont be there for the first few days as they will be fishing the classic.As a last resort you can bring a stretcher and put it up in the lounge.

Cheers

Ray

Let me know when you have worked out the dates. When I made the booking we thought that the classic would be in december but it was brought forward.The bookings at that time of the year are very tight an we were unable to alter them so barra come first.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 months later...

Travis wrote:

hey lads had a brainwave to go to monduran..... i was told about this thread and hey presto!! Tho it sounds like it might be a bit late to book a cabin. is there any spots left in cabins anywhere? or is it a swag job?

Well due to a clash with Uni, I will have to pull out so Trav you can take my spot in the house if that works,and Ray just let me know if I have left you short in any way and would like some money to cover the days I was supposed to be there.

Archived