What to catch and how?

Brian D

Just wondering – How often and who species targets and who using the general approach when fishing?

And I don’t mean going to Awoonga for Barra – I mean more like if you’re going for a weekend fish – do you pack what is best for your target or do you just go down the river, dam or bay with your tackle and gear and chase whatever?

As a general rule I give myself too many options when fishing the river and bay, therefore as a consequence end up being less successful then I would if I targeted a seasonal fish.

Take Troy for example (sorry guinnie pig) he seams to be able to catch fish all the time but only takes minium options with him. Me – I need to get a bigger boat to carry my tackle store but I don’t get as many fish.

This I would like to refine but sometimes I get so desperate for a fish that I would take and count a toad.

How do you guys handle this mental torture?

Brian i used to be very much \"throw out a bait and see what bites kind of fisherman\".

However since using lures, and selecting appropriate lures for the location my cathc rate has gone way up.

for example in Ningi creek and baroon pocket dam, but concentrating on lite gear and medium lures i have been cleaning up. I am very convinced i would not have these results using my traditional bait fishing methods.

Also the things also is, you are not really limting your options. For example, the lures and technique i use in i say ningi creek for Flathead will still catch Bream, Trevally etc. Take this freshwater, when fishing for bass, while i am specifically targeting them, im still very aware that a golden perch or soemthingh else can take the lure/bait.

Angus

My approach to fishing is that if sumthin isnt biting, then somethin else will be.

For example, if you just cant get a bream to take your plastic then upgrade the jighead and start casting for flathead.

And if the flatties arent around then find sumthin else to cast at.

In freshwater, I generally have one rod that I will always have a live shrimp on, so generally not species specific but I go with the confidence it will catch just about all the species there, the other rod I experiment with lures or if I tire of that will throw a worm on.

In saltwater I generally throw out a gang hooked pilly on one rod and stuff about trying things on the other rod, again not species specific but I generally know what I expect to catch in the different spots

Interesting reply's guys - thanks - it appears that they are more \"pot luckers\" then \"target chasers\".

Timbo - I am with you - I loose confidience quickly with SP's unless I am getting touches or fish.

Jimmy - I'm with you too - that's what I do I think - it makes perfect sence.

Given that I am only allowed 3 lines - but carry 6 or 7 is proberbly the start of my problem.

I rig them up differently - say 3 for sharking, 2 flick sticks (1 for SP & 1 for hb) , and another for the floating pilly.

I also troll from spot A to spot B. Or stop and have a flick between spots. But in doing so I often find myself thinking about the next type of fishing before I give the first type a \"Fair Go\" - next thing I am all confused and technique goes out the window.

While this is \"fun\" - the more fish you catch the more \"fun\" it is. Maybe I need to fish more with my head then with my braun to improve my catch rate.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/12/15 13:34

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/12/15 13:36

Archived