Joining Fees

Brian D

Guys and Gals

This is an unauthorized announcement that has not been discussed with the website owners.

My understanding is that this site is set up as a business without general revenue. There may be some advertising income but I don’t know for sure. I don’t need to know or care. I would guess that the shop may break even before ECF (employment cost factors) are considered.

With the GFC (Global Financial Crisis) just about to hit Australian Businesses hard, I am concerned about the running cost associated with this site and the impact on the owners personally. I do not know their situation nor do I want to, but I do want this site to prosper and be maintained at either a neutral cost or small profit to allow for growth.

I purpose that an annual “donation†be required by all of us users. Something small, around $10-$20 for adults and free for kids. This would entitle you to be classified as a Financial Member within your posting rating. IE Financial VIP, Financial Hero etc. Maybe shorten it to Fin.Hero.

I know I can donate my $10-$20 without dragging everone into my agenda but I want donations to make a difference.

Who is with me? Happy fishing.

MOD EDIT: I would just like to highlight that this is an opinion of a user, and one not currently shared by AFO Administration.

I'd be happy to donate to the site, to allow it's continued growth.

The idea of making it a donation is a good one, and with a bit of luck peer pressure would see most regular members chip in. But if it was a compulsory fee, it would deter a lot of new members I feel.

Cheers,

Matt

im all to happy to pay 20 bucks to fuel; my addiction but you can put a google banner on to your site and get paid for it a friend has one on her site its just a revolving google ad it pays her very good money depending on how many hits the site gets not the banner her site only gets a fith of the traffic afo gets it could really pay some good coin on here .

any way i vote 1 for twenty maybe a reduced rate for pensioners or famillys ?

jason :)

should probably check with the site owners, the site appears to be doing quite well at the moment with the 3.5 million hits per month, surely other fishing sites would crumble before this 1 does. if anything, i try to help out ppl where ever i can with spots on the boat, and advice if they are willing to listen. just don't see the need for joining fees at this point in time.

I have seen forums die off when trying to introduce a joining fee. I think the best way for the site to be funded is by other means such as a shop and google ads (which angus already does ) along with sponsors and events with a participation fee ( which angus already does ).

There are other ways we can help contribute to the forum's prosperity if the revenue isn't matching the costs, stuff like a once off BBQ, or pie drive, hell you could do a fortnightly meat ( fish? ) tray raffle.

Angus is a smart man, if AFO needs financial assistance I'm sure he'll find a way, he would also know that he can turn to us for help if it gets serious and those of us who really matter will all happily contribute however we can.

I don't support the idea of joining fees. Without going into some long block of text, I think they would do more harm to the site than good.

Nothing is stopping people from donating to the site. I'm sure every bit helps.

Edit: I'm talking about a required joining fee. optional fees are merely donations.

Also: UNT is on the money.

The only reason we have seriously discussed a joining fee in the past is the prevent problem banned members from rejoining. For example a one off $5 fee is no big deal, but how many times would sign back up and pay with a fake name just to be a tool? Even when discussing this we were thinking of having it allocated to a various fish stocking group.

We at AFO appreciate the pro active thoughts that come up with suggestions like this. TO keep AFO strong and community based I would encourage people keep active on the forum abd attend AFO events. Sporting a little bit of AFO merchandise from the shop actually goes a long way as well :)

Speaking of which, over the next couple of months we are introducing a high quality brand of fishing rods to the AFO shop (when the shop is up and running) that will be exclusively available here.

They will be an affordable, quality, cardon fibre rod with the highest quality guides and split grips.

Good fishing everyone.

Cheers.

Angus

new rods kewl

can't wait for the shop to be up so i can buy some stuff to support the site and it good stuff

as for banned members i think making people use a proper email address the one your ISP gives u eg: @bigpond @iprimus etc and not allow free email users eg: hotmail yahoo gmail etc. i have seen this used on many sites and it works well.

Only been a member for a couple of months and found the info on AFO to be absolutely priceless and has helped incredibly with my fishing/kayaking.

Being in a IT related field, bringing joining fees will reduce the amount of members, suggest that this site promotes the store more strongly and setup a donations area similar to like the freeware sites do and put in a suggested small annual donation.

Cheers,

Paul

I've only been a member for a few months, picked a lot of information and I think the AFO is a brilliant site made up of a lot of talented fishos who are willing to share there experiences. I am happy to support in which ever way I can.

Bring on the shop :) and ahh what brand of rods will they be or is that top secret ;)

Cheers, Rob.

You know, this is one topic that I have thought about before now and I am still torn with the idea. There are a couple of schools of thought, and they overlap to some extent.

There was a little while ago when things got a bit wayward on the forums and it involved only a few members who I believe are no longer. Would a joiing fee reduce the likelyhood of this occuring again? Possibly.

Should a voluntary fee be advetised for some people to contribute and others to ignore? Will it bring income in? Possibly. Will it divide the community between the water and the sponges? Certainly.

The site has grown significantly in recent times in both content and members and this has resulted in the site swapping servers and being upgraded, and obviously this does not come free. Would a joining fee offset some of these costs? Certainly.

So where do we go from here? Does the site impose a cost to join, allow a grace period for people to cough up, then suspend users till they do?

Does it remain free to join, trust that people who are members realise its a privelidge to be a member and not a right and treat the site and community just as that and then rely on donations and events to support the site?

What ever the management decide is the best path to take, I will still be here and still contribting in forums, shop purchases, events and general humour ;-)

I think a joining fee would be a deterrent for any new people that happen to just come across the site, or people who aren't that into fishing but just want to know more info.

How about a members only section?? where if you want to pay for membership there is a specific section for members only?? and maybe stuff available in the shop or offers that are exclusive to members??

This way there is still the main forum where everyone is still involved, but then a members section as well??

But as Gus said, just continue being active on the forum, wear the merchandise, buy from the shop and participate in organised events. That's how we can support without straight up donating money.

Guys no plans to charge for membership is in the works. We want the site be as user friendly and accessible as possible. The site we hope is viewed as "a community", and we welcome everyone in that light.

Once again I massively appreciate the kind words here and I am stoked that there are new members out there appreciating the information on this site.

My two cents on the sites finances:

* With an ever growing community we should see more and more people attending events thus making them more viable. I would strongly encourage more people that have never attended one to try it out. I am working on some more purely social events in the near future aimed specifically as a welcome to members wanting to get involved but not sure how.

* Secondly, a lot of people ask if they can donate and how. I really appreciate this however I would prefer these members to maybe purchase something from the shop. The way i see this way AFO makes a small profit and the members gets something in return. Everyone is happy :). Not to mention that most AFO merchandise is self promoting in its own right.

Thanks once again lads and ladettes :P Always a pleasure being out there with you all.

Angus

Isn't there a thing that when membership fees become involved (not to be confused with donations)

That you are then deemed a club and require a committee ,president, treasurer,insurance for events, etc etc

I recall having a chat to Gus about this ages ago and these points were raised ?

but that convo was about clubs not fees ?

Gaz

I should have headed the words differently. But if you read the contents of my post you'll see I was suggesting a annual donation.

If you knockers are too tight then so be it, your cash your call.

Good on you guys who do donate, may you catch some good fish.

If we raise $200 bucks out of my donation call I consider it job done. B)

I am aware of the Incorpation Act and Membership requirements of a Club, that's why I called it a donation, but I am more then happy to go shopping!

Angus wrote:

The only reason we have seriously discussed a joining fee in the past is the prevent problem banned members from rejoining. For example a one off $5 fee is no big deal, but how many times would sign back up and pay with a fake name just to be a tool? Even when discussing this we were thinking of having it allocated to a various fish stocking group.

We at AFO appreciate the pro active thoughts that come up with suggestions like this. TO keep AFO strong and community based I would encourage people keep active on the forum abd attend AFO events. Sporting a little bit of AFO merchandise from the shop actually goes a long way as well :)

Speaking of which, over the next couple of months we are introducing a high quality brand of fishing rods to the AFO shop (when the shop is up and running) that will be exclusively available here.

They will be an affordable, quality, cardon fibre rod with the highest quality guides and split grips.

Good fishing everyone.

Cheers.

Angus

Funny you say that Gus the boys in blue on the water spotted my AFO sticker and asked for details etc and seemed very keen to have a look @ the site (even wrote it down)

When I was in SA 2 weeks ago I took my BRC shirt and went fishing with a Female friend of mine and some of her mates (they are all still beginners but have a great new found passion) They LOVED the shirt and at this point in time are thinking of a name to call themselves so they can get shirts made (can you get custom shirts made Gus ?) they are also going to join AFO soon as our reporters from SA :woohoo:

so there is method in Gus's ways

Cheers Gaz

Brian, I'm not knocking the idea because I'm too tight.

The reason I disagree with the idea of having some sort of required payment, any sort of expectation or suggestion is because it will prohibit the growth of the site, and drastically cut the active viewerbase.

Websites and Forums need to be kept free, and that's what Angus and Webby are doing.

So while the site would be cheaper to run, pay for itself and a pletora of bonuses if everyone on here paid and the site continued to grow. I think the cold hard facts are that it (the site) would die in the arse.

Angus wrote:

* Secondly, a lot of people ask if they can donate and how. I really appreciate this however I would prefer these members to maybe purchase something from the shop. The way i see this way AFO makes a small profit and the members gets something in return. Everyone is happy :). Not to mention that most AFO merchandise is self promoting in its own right.

Bit hard to buy anything at the moment Angus!

When will the shop be back?

Yes, we are currently working on putting the shop back online. We have just completed a stocktake and will have it online in a day or two.

As has been said this topic is just member's thoughts and comments and no introduction of joining fees, or fees of any nature has been seriously contemplated or probably will be.

We started this site to promote the great sport and hobby of fishing and also the wonderful locations with which we live in. We aim to foster a strong and friendly community of anglers and hope that people can learn from but also give back to the community. We have made lots of friends along the way and hope members of this community have as well.

Obviously to continue to do this costs money, both in running the site and organising events but we do it because we enjoy it and are confident of our financial plan and management. However, a small donation or purchase from our shop is much appreciated and does go along way to help cover some of our growing costs.

Cheers

Archived