Hinze Dam Social Comp Report - 1st March 09

username_taken

What a top weekend! I'm sleepy so I won't write too much.

Saturday morning started with a bang, a few metres from the boatramp and shortie lands a beautiful Toga at 58cm.

P2270001.JPG

Unfortunately the lake was pretty dead for the rest of the morning, and not too many good fish were caught. Well that's not true, but I'll let others tell their own stories. On the way back I managed to snap a few great photos, apparently it's not a good idea to stand up in a tinny when it's being driven by a clown. :)

P2280002.JPG

P2280003.JPG

Saturday afternoon after lunch the fish decided they wanted some lunch as well and started hitting the live shrimp pretty consistently. We ended up with plenty of Bass for dinner, and a great range of Yellow Belly and Eel tail catfish.

I pulled in about a dozen bass, mostly around the 30cm mark, but got a couple of decent ones including a 35cm which was my best for the day, and while not huge, was crucial to my overall score.

P2280005.JPG

Malcolm on a good eel tail cattie

P2280006.JPG

I also pulled in my first eel tail catfish at 50.5cm, not only my first, but a comp winning fish for largest catty, beating out two other fish at 50cm.

P2280012.JPG

After running out of shrimp I hunted through my tacklebox looking for something I could jig with, and found an ice-jig I bought from Rocket. Chucked it on and after a few minutes of jigging I hooked up to another Cattie! Unfortunately his lips were too tough and he swam off with the business end of the lure.

P2280013.JPG

Saturday night was good fun, dinner was excellent and the company was mediocre. :D

Sunday morning started pretty tough, and I couldn't raise a fish on any lure I tried. Finally in frustration I pulled out two 8M+ lures ( a halco crazy deep, and a wooden lure from toowomba ) and started trolling a likely stretch of bank.

It wasn't long before my rod buckled over and I pulled in my first ever Yellowbelly at 40cm. That's not bad I thought and kept trolling. Suddenly both rods buckled over at the same time, and I grabbed one and started bringing it in, Of course thanks to my utter lack of ability I managed to lose that fish, and went to grab the other fish only to find it had thrown it's hooks while I wrestled with the other fish.

Never mind, I cast back out and continued trolling and was soon joined by a 37cm bass, a 40cm bass, and a 38cm Yellow. Every pass of this section saw at least one attack on my lures.

P2280014.JPG

P2280019.JPG

P2280021.JPG

Eventually Angus tells us to start heading back in, and on the way one of my rods starts tapping like the lure is bouncing off the bottom. Not wanting it to get snagged I started to wind it in and it felt a bit funny, the lure action wasn't as strong and it was much easier to wind in. Turned out there was a 20cm ( ish) bass on the end and it wasn't enough to pull my tight drag, nor to dissuade the lure's action. It was actually easier to wind in the fish hooked lure, than the lure without a fish.

Back at the bank we had the prize presentation, I won biggest catfish scoring a rod and reel, then won the biggest combined bass total for the weekend ( 75cm ) scoring a beautiful rod made by Adrian. My earlier rod and reel went back into the prize-pool.

Just before we were ready to go home, a creature emerged from the lagoon! The famed Loch Hinze Monster!

P2280022.JPG

P2280023.JPG

P2280024.JPG

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First ill give you a quick summary of the scores:

Winner Overall Combined Bass: Username Taken (Paul Czarkowski) with 75cm (35cm + 40cm).

Winner First Day Longest Bass: Tomca (Tom Lazlo) with 43cm.

Winner Longest Saratoga: Shortie (Richard Allt) with a 58cm.

Winner Longest Yellowbelly: Do$tylz (Henry Do) with 43cm.

Winner Longest Banded Grunter: Ellen (Ellen Wren) with 20cm.

Winner Longest Catfish: Username Taken (Paul Czarcowski) with 50 1/2cm.

Other great fish of note:

Bass

Tomca: 42cm.

Tanya: 42cm.

DazzaMcGee: 41cm.

Jeff Flynn: 39cm.

John Barclay: 38 1/2cm.

Gazza: 38cm.

Brian Dawson: 38cm.

Nick Barclay: 36 1/2cm.

Paul Czarkowski: 35cm.

Chris Smith: 34cm.

Kurt Stoddart: 34cm.

Angus Gorrie: 32cm.

Wilko: 31cm.

Yellowbelly

Magiva: 41cm

Paul Czarkowski: 40cm

Wilko: 38 1/2cm.

Dazzamcgee: 38cm 1/2cm.

Tandanus

Malcolm West: 50cm

Henry Do: 50cm

Gazza: 48cm

Kurt Stoddart: 44cm

Well done everyone.

Thanks to everyone who lent a hand over the course of the weekend, there are to many of you to mention but it was massively appreciated as it makes these trips with Steve Wilkes from Sports Tuition that much easier to run.

I myself only to drop one shrimp for the camp for a 32cm bass. The rest of the time i cruised around catching up with you all. It was good fun and I was impressed with the good quality bass and the species diversity. For a dam where 30-35cm are the most common and 99% of what we catch is usually bass, we caught some good size fish and more yellas and tandanus than I have ever seen in one trip!

Congrats to the winners and the grinners.

Oh it was awesome to see a lot of new faces as well.

Cheers

Angus

Picture: The winners. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/12-8bf1b24f7d8d3901c1e993d781cb8449.jpg

post-63-144598486371_thumb.jpg

WOW what a day!! I only attended the saturday session but I wish I had been there for the full weekend!

Big thanx to the AFO crew and Steve from sport tuition for an excellent day!!;)

Highly recommend if u havent been to one of their GiG's do it sometime soon! U wont be dissapointed!!!:) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_033_AFO.jpg

post-633-144598486754_thumb.jpg

a great weekend and many laughs were had.

I finally managed to catch a fish.

(Yep it does help if you have a rod in the water)

3 minutes into the weekend and less than 30 mtres off the ramp i managed to hook the stupidest fish in the dam. my first saratoga. By the yelling and excitement i thought Mal was having kittens.

on the way to the cabins Sat night after a few coldies Mal was stumbling along and says

" Look at this game little bugger"

There about 1 mtr from him is a beautiful fluffy little fox. Mal procedds to bend down to coax it closer making it believe he had some food.

next there were many expletives and Mal was jumping around yelling. The beutiful cute little animal decided that Mals fingers were going to be its next meal.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thankx guys had a great weekend.

thanx Mal is never dull when your around and on the sauce

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/conditions.jpg What a great weekend. I hit the water Saturday morning at the ramp and head around to Angus and Steves spot while Shortie and Mal are sorting their yaks. I get around the corner, pull up and Angus anounces the first saratoga has been boated already....by Shortie. No way!

The fishing was tough all morning and only a couple of hits on a spinnerbait and I dropped one yakside. Watching Henry and his crew pulling in fish 1 after the other was annoying:P so I moved upstream to sulk.

After lunch I pulled in a 42 and 43 cm bass from the same spot about 5 minutes apart. Both on purple spinnerbaits.

I landed a 47cm tandanus after that on a tn50 and that was it for the rest of the day.

Dinner was great, Malcolm was amusing, to say the least, then out before dawn for a fish.

Conditions were awesome. but the fishing was tough. I managed 2 undersize bass and lost a toga while trying to secure it yakside.

Very good weekend I only caught a couple of small Bass and a couple of Eel Tail Catties but still had a great time Thanks to all including BrianD the floating bar manager and yes I did get a bit over excited when I saw Shorties Toga leaping out of the water.

Oh and just a friendly tip don't try to pat Foxes they bite:laugh:

Here is a couple of photo's [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-dd2036da2833985af41933ac1c25599b.jpg

post-1567-144598486764_thumb.jpg

Hi All..

what a fantastic weekend :) First off though... I can't find my digital camera....Last I remember seeing it was in the boat this morning... so Gus or Steve... there might be an Olympus waterproof camera in a "black ice" microfibre case in the boat at the very top of the pile that Angus towed... If its there it'll be at the pointy end of the boat... or Nigel... it might have been stuck in one of your bags. If someone does find it could they please let me know... there's some good pics on it.

Anyway.. back to the camp. Saturday morning saw a quite one for our boat. Wally (aka happywally), Nigel (aka McGyver) and myself were struggling to put a mark on the score board until I stuck on a small gar fish hook as a stinger in the belly of the shrimp. 6 grunter later I had found one attached to my ti-sing blade that had just been bobbing up and down. A bit more jigging and BANG... up comes a 50cm tandanous :)

Had Nigel in laughing at how odd that was.....2 minutes later we were carrying on like school girls, I was on again. This time it was my winning yellow of 43cm.

Coining on to my winning tactic, Nigel put on a blade of his own and another 3 minutes later.. BANG he's on. A yellow at 41. We were stoked.

Unfortunately we couldn't put Wally onto a good fish, but I think he would have picked up some good knowledge from us. He can flick cast quite well now :)

Some filletting, drinking and dinner later that night was a good cap off the evening. Malcom, I dunno if Kurt will ever look at you the same way again :D hahahaha

We were up this morning at 4am and were on the water at around 5. Just me and Nigel today as Wally had to leave. We motored up to some skinny water to get some bass on the top. Nigel was on first with a 40+ model within 15minutes. Another 10 minutes or so, my popping persistance had paid off. Only a 20cm model but it was my first fish on a popper. I was wrapped. Nigel got on again to another 40cm+ model and a 20 later on but that was it.

I've had a great weekend. Thanks Steve Wilkes and Gus again for the effort and everything. Hopefully I can get to the next one.

Dinodadog wrote:

Well done to all the winners and grinners I think I may be taking a bucket of shrimp with me next time I visit Hinze

Dino the big fish catchers were mostly using lures :P

As mentioned earlier all prize winning fish except saratoga caught on lures :)

Angus

Malcolm wrote:

Kurt will be just fine I'm more concerned about about you other blokes listening to my B/S let alone remembering any of it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mal you did a stirling job convincing Tanya that moving to Straddy for a year before rug rats come along is a good idea!

Looks like 2010 could be the year :P

Cheers mate.

Oh but you have apparantly set up a phone conferance between Tanya & Leeane :P

Angus

Archived