Best value lure / Most overpriced lure

webbfunk

tomca wrote:

best value lure in my bag is the 65mm purple popper from Berkley at under $3. I have a stack of them. Most overpriced would be most of the mega bass stuff.

Yep the Berkley hard body range are great value for money (unlike the berkley soft plastic range which are a rip off). Any lure with a price tag over about $15 is a rip off. I'd make exceptions for some of the hand made stuff, where there are low runs and high production costs, but not for "overpriced overvalued and overhere" japanese imports! Particularly when they are so much cheaper elsewhere in the world!.

I disagree with you somewhat about the Berkley softies tho Feral. I have a heap of powerbaits, and each one can catch 5 or more fish before being replaced and are the same price as Gulps, which need replacing alot quicker, and finding Powerbaits near impossible these days

I meant gulps, not real familiar with them, so did not know they made others. I notice the hard bodies are getting very hard to find as well. Might be a bit harsh with my $15 ceiling as well, but the prices for high end stuff is ridiculous.

I reckon lures are to men what shoes are to women, they will pay any price for something new and flashy that is either the latest trend, or snob value ;)

Feral wrote:

I meant gulps, not real familiar with them, so did not know they made others. I notice the hard bodies are getting very hard to find as well. Might be a bit harsh with my $15 ceiling as well, but the prices for high end stuff is ridiculous.

I reckon lures are to men what shoes are to women, they will pay any price for something new and flashy that is either the latest trend, or snob value ;)

Berkely USA announced last year that they were discontinueing the hardbody body range (frenzys i think). I dont know if that applied to the USA market only but it would explain the shortage of them in stores in oz

Prob cheapest all-round lure would be a Halco Scorpion (if i had to choose only 1 colour ot would be the black/gold)

The best value lure i personally own would have to be my SX40 in 307, it was the very first HB i ever bought (off jeryl!) just over 12 months ago and i STILL haven't lost it !

Have caught heas of fish on it and snagged it up so many times i cant believe i haven't lost it...it's blessed !

Before Jackals hit the market most lure were reasonably priced, most were below $15, then came the influx of overseas lures and the price skyrocketed. There are places I fish using cheapie lures and I catch plenty of fish, there are also places I fish using Jackals and the like and catch fish. Most lures catch fish you just have to find the right lure for the right place with the right technique, ha ha. The question is a very open ended one.

tomca wrote:

I disagree with you somewhat about the Berkley softies tho Feral. I have a heap of powerbaits, and each one can catch 5 or more fish before being replaced and are the same price as Gulps, which need replacing alot quicker, and finding Powerbaits near impossible these days

i was at big w and there was heaps of stuff few months ago .

was there a few weeks ago and the was pretty much nothing .:(

was like the berkley sp and hb just disappeared .

cheapest/best value : Kokoda G-vibe $7.50

most expensive/least value : Jackall TN-50/60 $40

if you took the hardware off a pile of each of these lures and mixed them all up no one could tell the difference.

imo the g-vibe's have a better action also, i just replace the split rings and trebles with VMC or owner.

the only people i know that actually use the big $$ brands like jackall are either pro's who get boxes of them for free and tune them to their own specs, or tackle junkies who have one of everything in BCF and never catch a fish.

tomca wrote:

power baits at charltons for 6.50 a packet

• 3 weeks later...

value is whatever provides enjoyment, even if you dont catch fish i reckon, for that reason i say best value is ecogear sx-40. anyone that says they arent value hasnt thrown a few colours around for a while and been blown away by the results on a stack of species. that said best value for money id say is halco laser pro or halco scorpion which are really good fish catchers. for plastics my best value would be kokoda b-grub, which are like 5 bucks a packet of 25 and the fish love them. you cant beat that. mind you im a breaming sort of guy so its a limited scope.

• 1 month later...

went down to big W at strathpine today and saw some sweet deals, old fav halco scorpions for $4 cant go past that! and rebel pop r for 7 something! same lures at a mart and bcf are like 10 bucks! plus they had a good selection of the berkley frenzy lures in stock, mainly only big snodgers but a few in the 50mm or so range.

Jackall's are dear but i think IMO they're worth it.

my favourite lure would be sx 40 at about $16 - $20

i can't think of any really exspensive lures that haven't worked for me.

if you invest in some quality gear you'll get more fish. that's what i think IMO.

i haven't caught a fish on a hardbody lure cheaper then $10.

i'm not saying that any of you guys are wrong this just what i think. :)

theres heaps of hardbodys that you can buy and use if your on a budget to name afew halco scorps and lazers, damiki lures, mira shads are great and i bought some for 12 each, tilson minnows ect heaps you just have to make sure if your buying cheap lures that you are buying the ones that r cheap because they are good value and not cheap because they are just sh!t

also some of the american sites have heaps of lures that arnt well known in australia for 2-6 american dollars each a bulk order would see you stocked for awhile

hey nadders iv seen your soft vibe like things what others do you make? any hardbodys or surface walkers?

the vibes look wicked but they would get absolutly demolished by the stupid blowfish here in perth cant wait to get over there dont suppose you got a small site with some pics and info on some of your lures

I'll pay up to about $35 for a lure. In saying that that's only for surface lures or lures that won't be thrown around snaggy areas. Most lures I buy are between $10 and $25. I find myself buying and using hardbody's a heck of a lot more than soft plastics these days.

hi kenshin, thanks mate. the website isnt finished, but when it is there will be an ordering system + colour chart/pics/descriptions etc

at the moment i only do the soft vibes in 60mm and 90mm sizes, 15g and 20g respectively. ive recently started scenting them aswell just to ice the cake so to speak

as for blowfish i cant really tell you if they will or wont get demolished as we dont have that problem here as much as you apparently do over there, but they stand up to snapper, threadies, cod, jew etc without damage. until the website is up ill get my old man to do a photoshoot day with his SLR, hes into the photography so i'll get a few nicer pics up, been working on a few new stealth type colours that im pretty happy with

cheers

dan

I'll say the best bang for your buck lure in my experience for what it's worth would be a 60mm Halco Scorpian. Around the $12-$13 mark. Fairly well constructed...nice action usually straight out of the packet, and a good colour range.

There's a million overpriced lures out there, but if it helps me to catch a bass when nothing else seems to work then I'll take two thanks....and I'll be back in next week to pick up that new colour as well!!!

I usually start at the $10 mark because I've had too many cheap lures that swam like a deformed gold fish who was deprived of swimming lessons..or fell apart after getting clobbered by good sized bass.$25 is normally my limit, with most lures in my bass box sitting around the $12 to $25 mark.

One thing that does bother me though is expensive lures fitted with rubbish trebles...whats that about ???

• 1 month later...

Archived