Rare catch at NPD. 5/4/10.

rayke1938

After a poor start ( No 1 signed in using wrong date,No 2 Forgot to replace empty gas cylinder so no coffee Major sin. Go to take sunrise photo and flat battery in camera. Missus took the charged one for her camera and didnt plug in the charger )

After all that turned out not to be too bad a day.

Rocket got on the scoreboard early with a 42cm bass on the reliable napjaru.

I got a surprise in one of the redclaw traps. Rocket has a photo.

The sharefarmer had been at my pots again. Mongrels threw back the ones that had been double ziptied without closing them to express his disapproval.

Only been one person on the dam since I was there on Wednesday and by a strange coincidence he was one of the suspects the last time my pots were done over.

Shrimp very scarce . I think we ended up with 10 bass on bait 6 for Rocket and 4 for me.

I am really chuffed about my catch in the redclaw trap in retrospect I should have measured it but I wanted to get it back into the water ASAP because I dont know how long it had been in the pot.

Rocket has all the photos so you will have to wait.

Cheers

Ray

could be Pete and Brooksy would be inerested in the pic dont see skinny ones in the dam should have put on some condition since the relocation.

Just out of interest for Andrew I measured and weighed a little one caught by some bait fishermen below dam 52 cm 800 to 850 grams (only had spring balance scale) and saw one even smaller come up next to the yak about 48 cm these are the only small ones I have ever seen

Was a great morning to be on the dam. With minimal wind and pleasant conditions all we needed to make it perfect was some hungry bass! B)

The morning started off with a quick troll down to check the pots and re-bait.

I was trolling a Damiki Napjura, and despite our brisk pace, this lure tracked well and managed to entice a strike from a speed demon bass.

As a trial, I had swapped the stock trebles with some super sharp single hooks, and the tail hook neatly pinned this 42cm specimen.

npd_050210_007.jpg

He was quickly de-hooked (so easy with the single hook) and then sped away with a flick of his tail giving me the traditional bass release shower.

From there we hit the pots and sprung the lungie from his prison.

As Ray mentioned, quite a few pots had been robbed and returned to the water open and baitless. :angry:

Despite this we managed a good feed each, and Mrs Rocket and I just finished our share for Dinner. Soaked in SamBol-Olek, Garlic, Sweet Chilly Sauce and Olive Oil, fried off and tossed through some rice :woohoo: was good!

As Ray mentioned, the Bass were hungry for shrimp today, and if we had have had more, we might still be there catching them.

Alas they are thin on the ground at the moment, so we had our fun with our small supply and then trollled our way home.

No more joy on the troll back, but that didn't detract from a great morning.

Thanks again for the invite Ray, always a pleasure (even if I didn't get a cuppa :laugh: )

Rocekt

• 2 weeks later...

bootyinblue wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
....the sharefarmers car keys??

The sharefarmer himself? Surely no one is dumb enough to sign in midweek then raid pots, as its not like its a huge thoroughfare during week.

But as we say, we only catch the dumb ones!

I've not fished at NPD but who's there to ensure you sign in??? Maybe if he's a big enough grub to raid your pots its possible that the practice of signing in would have cross his mind as a clue to who was there that day.? :dry: :unsure:

Archived