tank saved!!

adambris

since off loading my cichlids to shortie my tank hasn't realy been a priority lately. i have plans to turn it in to a native set up.

i found a mate that was willing to give me a tandanus catty for nothing, on delivery of the fish he suprised me by dumping everything from his tank in mine.

grreat for fillin the tank, but the ring ins have to go, to be replaced by more desirable species. so apart from the eel tail if anyone wants some fish, take them! no idea of what type most of them are. 2 different types of cichlids (100mm+75mm), 1 big (200mm) forktail catty, and 3 upside down catfish (50mm).

also if anyone knows of people with smallish, Murray cod, Yellow belly, Bass, or Silver perch that want to get rid of them PM me,

prepared to either pay for fish or make donation to AFO in return. 05042010002.jpg

post-5665-144598520932_thumb.jpg

I just did pretty much the same thing a week ago. Gave away the last of my cichlids and decided to go for a native set up.

So far have added 5 little bass, and a salman tail cattie to clean any fallen food on the ground.

Hoping to add a youple of yellow belly soon, and ultimeately a saratoga.

Sorry mate I only have a couple of bass left. They are dithers in my JP tank. Maybe fishingnut can spare some? A few aquariums have them, exotic fish at rocklea have them though 5 would cost $20 to $25. I have no other natives at the moment.

cheers

Steve

Scope wrote:

Hey boys I don't have fishtank or haven any ideas about aquariums or anything so forgive my ignorance. Just wanted to ask - Can you keep undersized fish in an aquarium, what are the laws on all this?

Cheers Jono

Nope. Unless they are legitimatelly purchased.

shortie wrote:

Scope wrote:
Hey boys I don't have fishtank or haven any ideas about aquariums or anything so forgive my ignorance. Just wanted to ask - Can you keep undersized fish in an aquarium, what are the laws on all this?

Cheers Jono

Though a lot of the undersized natives available in aquariums are brought from out of state and there original source is very questionable, ie mangrove jacks,grunters,JPs ect.

the common hatchery produced natives are legit though.

elops wrote:

shortie wrote:
Scope wrote:

Cheers Jono

Though a lot of the undersized natives available in aquariums are brought from out of state and there original source is very questionable, ie mangrove jacks,grunters,JPs ect.

the common hatchery produced natives are legit though.

So do they come with papers or some kind of proof?

Sorry to hijack thread by the way... .cheers Jono

purchased fish should have a receipt provided with them at the time of sale, though i think u'd be extremely unlucky to be checked by fisheries. I'd say there wouldn't be to many people with undersized natives in tanks that would keep a record of supplier/sale on file.

adam

adambris wrote:

purchased fish should have a receipt provided with them at the time of sale, though i think u'd be extremely unlucky to be checked by fisheries. I'd say there wouldn't be to many people with undersized natives in tanks that would keep a record of supplier/sale on file.

adam

So it just comes down to your word against theirs then?? Seems a bit odd....

well i guess so. i cant think of anyway that they could realy enforce size limits or illegal trade in millions of home across the country, without bringing in some sought of "license to own" aquarium fish. can u imagine the uproar that sought of thing would cause!

adam

Yeah fair enough, guess you've got about as much chance as being caught in a boat with undersized fish...

Would have thought you'd maybe need papers or something if it was undersized and you bought it legit..... but nothing to do with me really as I don't have an aquarium :P

Just curious that's all

Thanks for the info..... Jono

shortie wrote:

Beejay wrote:
So would it be illegal to delibrately go out and target an undersize Murray Cod to keep as a pet in a fish tank? cheers Beejay

definatelly not. How about you just go do that and post uppics for all to see on the forum.

Shortie is just being smart... :P don't listen to him.

Beej... it is DEFINITELY illegal to do that. There is no excuse for catching and keeping illegal sized fish.

The only way you can be ok with and illegal/undersized fish is if you purchase from a pet store.

Archived