2010 Winter Camp - Red Claw?

Angus

Is anyone going to try some Red Claw traps at Winter Camp?

Ill being some suitable seasoning if we want to add some BBQ Claw to the banquet :P

I would but ill have 3 first timers in a boat with me so will be focussing first and foremost on getting them some fish!!!

Angus

I was going to Gus, but on the back of my Hinze permit one of the conditions states:

"Only use freshwater shrimp or garden worms as bait or any artificial lure or artificial soft plastic. Nets, pots or cages are prohibited"

Does that read its prohibited to fish with pots or all pots are out?

tomca wrote:

I was going to Gus, but on the back of my Hinze permit one of the conditions states:

"Only use freshwater shrimp or garden worms as bait or any artificial lure or artificial soft plastic. Nets, pots or cages are prohibited"

Does that read its prohibited to fish with pots or all pots are out?

Well Tomca its grey as the wording is not sensational.

However using the purposive approach to the law I would say they mean no pots in general.

Mate I did not know that so thanks for the heads up.

Ok guys, regretfully ignore the first post by me :(

Angus

If you can not use pots then how do you collect your live shrimp? I would think that this relates to using fish traps and the like. Although I wounder what bait you would be able to use in the pots and bait traps reading that?

Also do we need to organize a Hinze dam permit for the camp?

crazywalrus wrote:

If you can not use pots then how do you collect your live shrimp? I would think that this relates to using fish traps and the like. Although I wounder what bait you would be able to use in the pots and bait traps reading that?

Also do we need to organize a Hinze dam permit for the camp?

You do not need a permit. It is provided in the cost of the event.

Also to answer your question. The shrimp are not caught at Hinze. This is one of the price inclusions. Steve buys them in bulk from a breeder and breeds his own. Each person gets about 100 shrimp (not that thats needed).

Angus

I spoke with the fishing shop that issues the permits and he said that redclawing is ok. I have put a call into GGCC, fisheries and SEQLD water. Don Courtney (SEQLD water) is chasing up the rangers there to get a definite for us.

Also if you ask the fisheries department redclawing with a pot does not fall into fishing so you do not require a SIPs for those impoundments. If this follows to Hinze than the fishing permit does not apply.

Will let you know once I hear back from Don.

crazywalrus wrote:

I spoke with the fishing shop that issues the permits and he said that redclawing is ok. I have put a call into GGCC, fisheries and SEQLD water. Don Courtney (SEQLD water) is chasing up the rangers there to get a definite for us.

Also if you ask the fisheries department redclawing with a pot does not fall into fishing so you do not require a SIPs for those impoundments. If this follows to Hinze than the fishing permit does not apply.

Will let you know once I hear back from Don.

Nice one mate!

Look forward to hearing.

I reckon its sounding good though!

Angus

You can use any permitted Freshwater fishing gear in Hinze.

Possession limits apply to Cherax destructor, Redclaw have none and cant be returned to the water. If you catch any Euastacus (spiny crays) they are protected, though this is unlikely now thanks to the introduction of Redclaw.It is prohibited to use Redclaw as bait. Though this did not stop the various fishing charter operators on Hinze from doing so.

elops wrote:

Possession limits apply to Cherax destructor, Redclaw have none and cant be returned to the water. If you catch any Euastacus (spiny crays) they are protected, though this is unlikely now thanks to the introduction of Redclaw.It is prohibited to use Redclaw as bait. Though this did not stop the various fishing charter operators on Hinze from doing so.

Well that settles it then I guess.

Bring your red claw pots :)

Angus

I heard back from Don Courtney (SEQLD Water) today. He called the rangers and they confirmed that you are ok to red claw. They did have a couple of points to make. Some of the locals down there have been using crab pots and using fish frames and the Turtles are being caught in them and dieing. They did request that we use vegetable matter like rock melon and the like however I have never had an issue with Turtles in the opera pots. The request is simply that and you are not stopped from using fish. We all protect turtles and would change if we had an issue with a by catch.

Cheers Ted

elops wrote:

Bit off topic but that last bit about redclaw as bait, is that the case in all dams??

crazywalrus wrote:

I heard back from Don Courtney (SEQLD Water) today. He called the rangers and they confirmed that you are ok to red claw. They did have a couple of points to make. Some of the locals down there have been using crab pots

Cheers Ted

crab pots :P

jeff f wrote:

crazywalrus wrote:
I heard back from Don Courtney (SEQLD Water) today. He called the rangers and they confirmed that you are ok to red claw. They did have a couple of points to make. Some of the locals down there have been using crab pots

Cheers Ted

I had thought about altering a crab pot to use for the claw. Use a standard round crab pot and just zip tie the entrance to roughly the same size as the operah house trap opening. Use a large fish frame or some type off meat for bait and let it soak for a long time.

Scope wrote:

elops wrote:

Bit off topic but that last bit about redclaw as bait, is that the case in all dams??

Heres the link.

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3028.htm

elops wrote:

Scope wrote:
elops wrote:

Heres the link.

Thanks mate, so does this mean they're a pest at places like npd??

Keen-as-fisho wrote:

jeff f wrote:
crazywalrus wrote:

Cheers Ted

I had thought about altering a crab pot to use for the claw. Use a standard round crab pot and just zip tie the entrance to roughly the same size as the operah house trap opening. Use a large fish frame or some type off meat for bait and let it soak for a long time.

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3023.htm

Note the that the opening must be made of rigid material 10 cm maximum diameter.

In 2000 in NPD some of the public access area gained the unfortunate nickname of Turtle Beach because of the large number of dead turtles on the bank due to the use of crabpots. Platypus of which there are quite a lot in Hinze will also enter traps after crays and shrimp, the hard 10 cm ring keeps them out or if they can fit in allows them to find there way out.

Scope wrote:

elops wrote:
Scope wrote:
elops wrote:

Heres the link.

Thanks mate, so does this mean they're a pest at places like npd??

Yes mate they are, could go on for hours about the negative effects of redclaw on biodiversity of local waterways but unfortunately most people consider them to be something that should be put into any waterway, hence the rapid spread of them.

Archived