Wello Point Reefs 27th May 2007

Angus

G'day everyone.

Just throwing it out there early so people can think about it.

Ill be hitting up Wello Point reefs in my yak on the afore mentioned date. I guess ill be chasing Squire, Grassies etc. I imagine there should be some tailor around as well.

I might also try that stupid aim of getting a shark to the side of my yak. Ill fishing from earlyish morning (dont really want to be on the water at dawn considering) and will fish through the day till some point. It will depend on the fishing.

Maybe make it a BBQ Day with Tinny's and Yaks?

Anyway just a thought.

Angus

Hmmm, got Benarkin Rally on on the Saturday, taking son up for his birthday. I'll see what the missus has to say. If she is agreeable I might hit Ray up to take me and the kids out in his boat, or maybe just show up for the BBQ.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/01 18:17

Wellington Point has a car park and a good ramp next to a long peir. I would assume we would meet at the ramp.

I was reading through a lot of reports and Pumpkin Seed Gulps seem to be the go for Grassies, Bream and Pinkies. I think Bream/Bass gear should more than suffice.

There are bigger fish in the area though such as bay size Cod, Snapper and toothies.

I might also take some pillies out with me as they seem to be the other bait of choice.

Its not far out. Only about 1km (max) from the ramp.

Angus

Going to try and tee up my old mans tinny as I would love to go but I don't know what my chances are. I'll say count me in cause where theres a will theres a way. Will get back to you by the end of the week.

I'm in, I know that spot real well in the yak. Weather permitting, it can be a hectic drift if the wind is not on your side. I'm heading out tomorrow morning with my friend in his tinnie. Not real keen on boating the spot, yaks are definitely the go.

I usually get a few squire and sweeties there, and the chances of getting a shark are pretty good too.

I'm going to take my snorkelling gear tomorrow for a closer look at the reef so that should be interesting.

Ash...at low tide there is a sand bar that runs from the lota side of Wello point out to ????? I think it is King island????? confirm anyone????...At high tide you can't see this sand bar so if you are in a tinny and want to get into the bay between wello and lota you will need to go around the island!!!! As the ramp is on the far side of the point.:blink: :blink:

Angus, Pilly's are the way to go....i have caught many a tailor in the cooler months off of wello and lota from the shore and also off the back of my mates jet sk

Might be able to make it....wat day is that?

kezza99 wrote:

Ash...at low tide there is a sand bar that runs from the lota side of Wello point out to ????? I think it is King island????? confirm anyone????..

Confirmed - it is King Is.

Also it is only smooth water relatively close in to this area. Go outside this and you will need to up the safety gear to the next level - flares etc. (I went to the boat afterall)

It is not so much the sand bar that I was thinking about, it was the quality of fishing. The water is not real deep on average and I often fish there in both boats and the yak, the difference is massive.

I put it down to the steady drift of the yak and it is not noisy when you paddle back over good biting spots so the fish don't spook.

In the tinny the other day we only managed 4 bream, 2 tuskfish and a stack of little squire and sweeties. There were heaps of big gar and happy moments schooling around us and all day tuna were chopping, they even came within a metre of the boat.

When I yak there it is almost a continuous stream of hook ups, not all big but better for my attention span.

The water there was glass but don't be fooled, it can get real sloppy and quite big in short amounts of time, especially on the turn of the tide.

I would be keen to start a bit earlier too, to get out on the top of the tide at least, if there is other people willing I'll be in, not goin' on my own that time of morning!!!:dry:

Guys I know I said I'm in but dad has said he wants to go and chase some snapper early and then some whiting on fly. So it is an offer I can't refuse. Always wanted to catch a whiting on either a fly or a popper. So this will be my chance. If anything happens between now and then willl let you know. Thanks anyway. Good luck.

The reef stretches both sides of the leads the most popular section seems to be between the wello leads and the huybers light off the end of king island. If its not too windy Myself and feral will be near the huybers end in a 5m white twin hull hydrofield centre console that has a fishntales sticker on it.

Cowfish please keep well away i dont want your rejected mozzies and sandflies coming to me.

Try and find brian his decky can have them.

Ray

It looks like Glenda & I will be on holidays on that date so we will try to get out for a fish.

If we can go I will have room for a deckie.If anyone wants to come and you dont mind being outfished by a woman. :P

Will let you know closer to the date.

Will try my best to get there. but after all my old man is driving and I am deckie so where he says we go, we go, but mentioned it and he seemed pretty keen. Always good to try new spots. Is what angus said accurate. Just light geat will be adequate. (I am not saying that angus is wrong.) Would hate to get there with a light outfit and everyone is hooking up to bigger stuff. :unsure:

ill be there with the gf in the boat, we might even try to be on the water at first light maybe earlier if anyone else is keen as i read above it was high tide around then. If my usual fishing buddies cant come well prob have a spot or 2 for anyone that wants to come in the boat. Will let you know closer to the date if we have available room.

Sweet this turning out to be quite a good day.

Better pick us a fair few snags!

Anyone have a postive idea what the BBQ scenario is like at Wello?

Also who will deffinently be hanging around do you think for a feed and a yarn?

Angus

Yeah there is electric bbq's and 90% of the tables are covered though on its day its a very popular family place so i would bring a blanket or something cos u may not get table and chairs.

There is a fish and chip shop and a restaurant there as well if you want something to snack on. You'll have a few wind and kite surfers out there, boaties coming in and out and families having picnics so its a great day regardless of what you are doing.

If you feel like stretching the legs you can go for a walk out to king island most times apart from right near the high tide, takes about 15-20 minutes.

Post edited by: Oceandonkey, at: 2007/05/13 20:45

Oceandonkey wrote:

If you feel like stretching the legs you can go for a walk out to king island most times apart from right near the high tide, takes about 15-20 minutes.<br /><br />Post edited by: Oceandonkey, at: 2007/05/13 20:45

that sounds like a good spot, walking the sandbar as the tide drops off it. casting to the drops and holes might be a good sesion for flatthead for anyone there who is fishing landbased

I'll try to get there it depends on what time I finish work Sat morning as I want to go to the boat show and drool @ all the toys :woohoo: if I finish early enough to see the show Sat I'll be there Sunday but if I finish late on Sat it will be the boat show 4 me Sunday B)

Gaz

Archived