Lake Somerset Social Report

tugger

Thursday lunch time i got to the camp grounds and set up then sat back with a coldie till brad, leslie and there feinds got there an hour later. After we had all got settled it was decided not to put the boats in till friday morning but inhale a few more coldies. We lit the fire and listen to music all night from the stereo as well as brads nephew and freind who played a couple of guitars while we did our best to sing along IMG_2298.JPG

Friday was an early start around 6am we were on the water running the redclaw pots and having a small fish then the rain started about 10am so we headed back to camp. A few freinds turned up while we were back at camp having lunch and inbetween the showers we did a check of the pots without much sucess but did run into malcom in his boat. Mid afternoon the clouds came over again so we called it a day on the water to retire to camp for the night with the next couple of days forecast to be better. By sunset the rain had gone and with a bit of tucker put together the fire was ignited and the chairs stratigically placed around for the best seats in the house. When the smoke wasn't getting into my eyes with wet timber trying to burn the stars were amasing in the night sky, its good to get away from the city like this. Moparkev, Malcom, Rob noname, Ted crazywalrus joined us during parts of friday so by sunset we had the AFO spirit singing around the camp fire again. IMG_2277.JPG

Saturday was another early start for me and brad again checking the pots then back to camp for breakfast before a big day on the dam. The dam was letting water out a lot through its flood valve which was impressive to see and we could walk from our camp down to the stanley river to see this, the dam was at 100% capacity. During the day a few of us did a bit of skiing and tubing while Ted took his boys fishing and wow what a bass his youngest (jacob)caught IMG_2279.JPGIMG_2281.JPG

Saturday night we cooked up some redclaw in cream and garlic on the bbq while most of us had a big night around the fire that got big enough at 1 stage we all had to move back another 10m except for 1 young fella who did his impersonation of jack that jump over the candle stick. Kev will enlighten this more with a stunning action photo while this young fellas aunty was doing her best to discourage him. I saw sunday morning just before hiting the hay to get another day on the dam. IMG_2307.JPG

Sunday was stunning on the dam with it glassed out all day and i followed Ted to his spot where he got the big bass the day before. Kev came with me while Ted had his boys and the rest had gone home about mid morning. We ended up in 1 of my old haunts for a fish as the other spot had a few ski boats circling so we hit the timbers. A flurry of bass hit our shrimp and teds oldest boy got on the board with a solid 40cm bass. The bass slowed so Teds boys and i used my boat for a spring board for a while and for spring the water was nice. We called it a day around 2pm and i bided Kev and Ted farewell.

ellicat wrote:

I'm guessing that 1st pic's from earlier in the night :P :laugh:

Would love to see/hear some video from these weekends. What were you "singing" ?

had a great time as per norm when we do these events and iam sure kev will have some interesting shots and maybe a video not sure we were all a bit over the limit to recall everything :blink: good to see a few more people turning up to just make the weekend better only a few red-claw for me but rob come up with the goods,next one maybe off the goldie.brad

Thanks again Mark for organizing this, the boys and I had a great weekend. It was good to catch up with everybody again and put a face to mopar kev as well. One of the highlights of the first nights festivities was 5 grown men sitting in Kev's Valiant listening to deafening loud ACDC :D

A special thanks must go out to Rob (no-name) and Mopar Kev. While I was out checking my traps Rob arrives to tell me that my trailer has popped its springs. I completed checking my traps and headed back to fix it. But in real AFO spirit Rob and Kev already had the axle off and where busy repairing the springs. Thanks guys. So the Springs where back on and I took the boys up the Dam with our newest AFO member Young_Fella (Cain) for a fish. We where not there long when Jacob hooked up with this stonker bass. I have to say I am really jealous with Jacob beating my personal PB by mere 16cm. Would it have been ok for a Dad to take the rod of his son and claim the fish for his own? :P

It was a good day on Sunday but the fishing went a bit dead once we ran out of shrimp and the barred grunter came in to investigate the commotions. The Schools I found the previous day had all but moved on with all the ski boats on the lake.

I really enjoyed my first AFO wanderers event and I am really looking forward to the next one. cheers guys various_029.jpg

nice fish there Jacob :),he should take out the comp for this month with that 1 i reckon .

dam magpie they where being a pain when we where up there last time ,attacking the kids and a kookaburra .

but we had something to fix them up they pissed off after that .

sounds like a nice weekend guys ,shame me and the family couldn't make it .

don't worry fergie you always said it was a maybe if you were coming but we are planning a trip to wave break island next month these are good trips with good people that make it enjoyable.

fergie wrote:

great report mark. would loved to have been there, but unfortunatly everything was against me for that weekend :(

looks like a great weekend was had by all.

congrats to jacob for that stonker bass :ta:

hopefully i can make it to the next one.

Archived