Cruelty to Jellyfishes

viperon1982

Since we're on the topic of cruelty to fishes (especially toadies), I'd like to have a feel of what you guys think of the tons of jellyfishes strewn along the Shorncliffe Pier.

Like the toadies, do you guys think we should put'em back into the water? I know they're poisonous and all, but don't they deserve to live as well?

Just a thought that's all. Would like to see what you guys feel about jellyfishes, and if possible at all, what we can do to save them instead of letting em dry out and create a slippery mess on the jetty. B)

johnsonMAN wrote:

WTF Jelly fish wont take your bait or lure dude. They may hook emselfs on it but pretty much always fall off as soon as they come out of the water.

I'm sorry dude, I don't think you understand my question. And I don't exactly appreciate \"WTF\" either. :(

This question is more or less for those who feel we should save the toadies or any fishes that we catch but do not want.

What I meant was if we were to cast a net and happen to land jellyfishes, instead of leaving them on the jetty to rot, should we try to put them back in the water as well?

Tim a wrote:

Guys don't give him s##t about it. It was a valid question

In fact I don't if jelly fish feel pain, do they?

Thanks fer the backing Tim. I'm cool with the answers though, objective or not. Its good for a debate now and then ain't it?

I guess they don't feel pain, since they don't have a brain? Been hunting around for more info, but nothing concerning jellies feeling pain, only painful humans! :P

Hey if we dont have brains why would we own boats.

fish is a different story jelly fish are not doing anything so why does it matter.

I agree all fish should be returned unharmed but what are jelly fish doing in the bay?

NOTHING?

and besides some people might not have a rag to pick them up with so they just leave em. I would rather let 1 drifter die then have me in pain for the next few days

Post edited by: johnsonMAN, at: 2007/05/27 08:01

Post edited by: johnsonMAN, at: 2007/05/27 11:33

Viperon - my opinion is that if you accidentally drag something out of the water that you are not going to utilise (bait, food) then you should chuck it back in, in a healthy state as possible. Even jellyfish have their part to play in the ecosystem.

johnsonMAN wrote:

ERR EMO GO DIE YOUR HAIR RED WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILLION BLUE THINGS FLOATING ROUND IN THE BAY. Hey if we dont have brains why would we own boats.

fish is a different story jelly fish are not doing anything so why does it matter.

Do you get jelly fish in asia?<br /><br />Post edited by: johnsonMAN, at: 2007/05/27 08:01

How is that emo? Stating wether something feels pain has nothing to do with emo

Btw guys I don't really care about jelly fish, but they still shouldn't be killed if it can be easily avoided. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go out in the bay either, if some get in the way of you prop so be it, your not intentionally killing them like some people. Its just that some one 'criticized' for asking a question.

I couldn't give 2 turds about the jellyfish; however I am concerned with a few fisher people giving the majority a bad name.

Dumping jellyfish on the jetty because they get caught in your cast net is not a responsible behavior pattern we responsible fisher people would like to encourage.:P

And you wonder why they don't build more fishing pontoons! Dur!:angry:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/05/27 10:30

Brian D wrote:

Dumping jellyfish on the jetty because they get caught in your cast net is not a responsible behavior pattern we responsible fisher people would like to encourage.:P

Well said Brain.......

Viperon, mate don't worry about them giving U sh#t over your post its a great topic and your entitled to your say regardless if members agree or not......

When the death of a animal happens through a natural occurrence well thats just mother nature doing her work but when a animal dies at the hand of man for no reason well thats just ignorance......

NO ANIMAL DESERVES CRUELTY!!

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/05/27 11:23

johnsonMAN wrote:

I agree all fish should be returned unharmed but what are jelly fish doing in the bay?

NOTHING?

and besides some people might not have a rag to pick them up with so they just leave em. I would rather let 1 drifter die then have me in pain for the next few days

Jelly fish play an important part in any ecosystem. It may not be an obviouse part but they are out there for a reason. And the jelly fish that everyone sees are not poisonous to humans. When we're out in the bay, they some times drift past. So for fun I pick them up and then release them. THEY DO NOT HURT. It is safer to pick up the common jelly fish (Blue Blubber) than it is to pick up a Bream.

That said, I would not reccomend that people pick up every type of Jelly fish, but the Blue Blubber kind is perfectly safe to pick up.

Any cruelty to animals is just as bad as cruelty to humans

Johnson, They may float around doing nothing but they are a big portion of turtles diet.

There's so many of them though I don't think direct killing has much effect on their population. So I guess it's down to keeping the jetty clean and then individual emotions(informed or not) about pain etc.

not a bad question.

jellyfish do not feel pain, however they do react to situations and do 'stress'. they only live for a few months, but do play a vital part in the ecosystem.

as others have said, if you catch or pull something in that you don't want put it back. leaving jellyfish on a pier to rot is irresponsible and gives our sport a bad name.

cheers

Any jelly fish should not be left where someone can pick it up or touch it.The stings on a jelly fish dont die , they can still fire even after laying on a beach all day.

Most of our Northern jellies are very dangerous, some dont affect for up to an hour after being stung ,then you know all about it. While others can be lethal with in minutes .( I have seen this happen first hand)

Cowfish ; I'm not sure about your common jellie down here (blue blubber) But our fellars up the coast DO HAVE A STING and believe me CAN HURT if stings arround the eyes,mouth or any sensitive part.

If you can avoid killing them avoid it.

Viperon i think any animal that you are not killing for a specific reasson, namely food should be left alone.

As was mentioned jelly fish serve as a food source for turtles. But as Macmauler pointed sometimes its unavoidable so i also would not cry to hard if one was cut to bits.

Also i think i sucks when someone posts something they are seriously intereted in and people take shots at them. Some things you may want to know about may seem stupid to others as well.

Angus

i think werewolf said it perfectly, and i dont think its right at all to call viper an emo, thats rough. cow fish obviously you havnt had much to do with those blue jellyfish. if you are refering to those round fat ones that swarm in there millions in the floodway and moreton bay area, they can be very painfull. one day while rowing out the shark lines in my blow up, it deflated half way out, and i was forced to swim 10 or so metres through an incredibly thick swarm of them. my thighs, my chest and my face was stung verrrrrry badly and i was in excrutiating pain for about 4 hours. every time i moved an inch it would start the pain all over again. only the tops dont sting you (finding nemo :P)

this topic has many differant angles.

personaly i dont care if an animal thinks, feels pain, is warm blooded or cold blooded, is ugly or beautifull.

if its alive i have respect for it. yes animals do die at our hands at times that are hard to avoid but deliberatly killing a living thing is something i dont understand.

but this is a subject that is viewed as trivial by a lot of people. so be it.

Box Jelly fish & Irakangee I know are deadly. And I know that if you touch the Blue Blubber kind too much (like Jordan did and I have experienced this as well) they do hurt, But if you get 3 or 4 in the cast net, there is no harm in getting them out using bare hands. Your hands are much tougher than other body parts like thighs and chest, they can handle the minor sting that a couple of these Jellies can do.

BUT I know how bad a lot of the northern species of jelly fish can be. I was only refering to the common Blue Blubber Jelly fish that moreton bay sees in swarms.

seemed like a legit question.. dunno why the peanut gallery decided to chime in.

most people seem to be on the right track, willingly killing anything for no legitimate reason is stupid. do these people feel like big men because they can kill a jellyfish?:laugh:

Archived