cobia fishing

Rex_Hunt

This was the last one i caught.

As you can see it was a little while ago :P

But for reference sake it was on the reefs in between The Group and Flatrock at Straddy.

Mackmauler could probably give a better current update on the area im talking about.

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/29 13:08

post-63-144598416197_thumb.jpg

terrace09 wrote:

Gday rex, how are ya mate

last couple of months ive been trying for some cobia as well. and have had most of my luck in the wivenhoe dam wiht live prawns

just be careful that ur bait isnt to large

10 pound and a 1/0 hook are suitable

:blink: :blink: :blink::unsure:

Mate Cobia = Black Kingfish. Not to sure they stocked them in Wivanhoe :P

Angus

Angus wrote:

This was the last one i caught.

As you can see it was a little while ago :P

But for reference sake it was on the reefs in between The Group and Flatrock at Straddy.

Mackmauler could probably give a better current update on the area im talking about.<br /><br />Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/29 13:08

[img size=200]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Black_King-c1320c860060f81f90888a7c51e9dd0b.jpg

There is the picture that was meant to attach before.

Thats just a little one mind you.

They have the ahbit of looking like sharks as they come near the surface, big and black with pectoral fins that protrude sideways.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/29 14:17

post-63-144598416199_thumb.jpg

there is coffee rock all along the western side of moreton...you can see the drop off pretty easy...use ya sounder from the clear water (where ya can see bottom) and head west and ya will see the dropp off...just out from the 4 beacons there is a red bouy...anchoring around that area and berley and there should be some cobia...i hear the love sand crabs too;)

Cobia will nail most kinds of bait, berley up with some frames and pillies then float some pillies out - hang on it works well.

Usually sound up some good ground - bommies or reef doesnt really matter. They can be often found smashing bait schools on the surface with other predators.

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^bahahahahahaha....

you know i was about to say \"just PM Chaz and he'll help you out with some tips on Cobia\".... he beat me to it :D

sorry if that seems like a cheap shot but its frikking hilarious.

but you know what...i reckon im gonna try this \"live mullet under the indro bridge\" thing this weekend. Just to give this guy the benefit of the doubt (still). Anyone keen this weekend? at least we can catch some catties if the cobia aren't on. Kiara... you up for it?

While cobia can be caught on just about anything as i have proved with yabbies, pillies and soldier crabs all proving sucesfull the best bait for large cobes off Moreton are whole live squire upto 2 kg, Yes thats right the big ones love eating big squire, if you have the guts to put a hook in a squire over a kilo you are in the running for the big boys.. True as i have seen it done more then once..........B)

dude..hahahaha. You guys have made me cry with laughter everyday for the last week.

If you could please point out to me where in my post have i offensively had a dig at him i will take it back. Im man enough to own up if i've gone too far.

I admitted it was a cheap shot, and i still give him the benefit of the doubt..thats why im gonna have a go at it this weekend.

If you kids don't lighten up, you're gonna have less people believing you (if thats possible). And i back ellicat on the call of a distasteful name. Unless your name is actually Michael Hunt...like carmichael hunt the footy player. poor bastard. :)

I got one about 130cm when I was a kid up north on a pilchiard I think. That was deep sea fishing though. I too will be sceptical of this mega cobia till I see proof sorry. I remember that thing took me ages to land. I couldn't even lift it. Still to this day my best fish. Caught bigger but best genuine eating fish.

Freedom wrote:

While cobia can be caught on just about anything as i have proved with yabbies, pillies and soldier crabs all proving sucesfull the best bait for large cobes off Moreton are whole live squire upto 2 kg, Yes thats right the big ones love eating big squire, if you have the guts to put a hook in a squire over a kilo you are in the running for the big boys.. True as i have seen it done more then once..........B)

Yeap freedom I agree

Best run I ever had was on a sweetlip with 2 hooks in it:evil:

this will sound silly to most peolple but why bother filleting a fish that you gotta pick the bones out of when you can live bait it for something that you can cut steaks out of?:woohoo:

guys cumon

i think we need to re think our actions here.

people who are paying out micheal are taking it over the line.

if thats his name then thats that, he cant change it at the moment and there wasnt anything he could do about it.

even if he is a rednut, is till do belive that paying him out is not the answer and it is also innapopriate

steven

Do$tylz wrote:

^^^^bahahahahahaha....

you know i was about to say \"just PM Chaz and he'll help you out with some tips on Cobia\".... he beat me to it :D

sorry if that seems like a cheap shot but its frikking hilarious.

but you know what...i reckon im gonna try this \"live mullet under the indro bridge\" thing this weekend. Just to give this guy the benefit of the doubt (still). Anyone keen this weekend? at least we can catch some catties if the cobia aren't on. Kiara... you up for it?

yah.. sure.. your call man... set it up :D.. whahaa.. i BET you, we'll catch a TROUT or a Sailfish there on pillies man!!!!! wahahahaha..

who knows man, maybe a COBIA in the castnet?? wahahha... 2metre one too! I wouldnt be surpised if we got one lol.. especially with all the salmon that i'm getting in the net lol..

DO$, yea.. hilarious lol..especially where the age and origin of the fish in the posted pix was uncovered lol.. no offence, but it was sooo sad.. no pix = no pix, why bother trying to cover up and falling on one's face.. hmm .. no comment.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/06/15 00:10

hmm, and about the \"Banning\" stuff, i guess that's up to the mods to decide. it wouldnt be too hard to track down the real users and the \"ghosts\" on the forum now with the IP logging now anyway.

honestly i dont see what the point of getting soo worked up on something soo trivial is lol. I've seen some arguments on forums flare up to legal action being taken by both sides, but c'mon man, i think the time and money could be better spent on fishing dont you think? or do some ppl have nothing else to do?

Archived