My first wild Mary River Cod

tomca

Congrats mate. That is my dream fish, probably sounds lame.

But there is just something about them. I said it in the other post but you must be over the moon with it.

Did it give a good account of itself and how light were you fishing when you landed it?

Did it give a good account of itself and how light were you fishing when you landed it?

The gear I was using: a 6ft light action rod with a 3000 stradic running 10lb mono. A 12g floating crankbait and about the 8th cast into the snag.

It started with a tap and I said to Den, ooh just got touched, then the rod bucked over and was dragged into the trees. It came up to the surface then like the other cod I have hooked it turned on its side and took off on a run or three and straightened the trebles and just managed to get the net under it before losing it.

I have been experimenting with not using braid when using hardbody lures in tight terrain. Apart from a fair bit of stretch so the hooks don't pull, it also holds up to rubbing trees and rocks better than braid. Not as far casting but I am firing of casts to 10m or less.

It was pretty agro most of the time. Wouldn't open its gob to get the lure out either. Goes a lot harder than the ones I have landed out of the dam

The score is 4-1 so far. You might have to join me next time Jimmy

yep! would love to come out next time!

Kiwiboy, It's just a joke mate (in the Humour section). Mary's are a No Take species (except in some dams)

Lol see you learn something every day.... so its like the kiwis an Endangered Species ? lol ;)

Archived