who keeps their catch

madmullet

like the post title says, who keeps their catch, just wondering how many people out their keep fish for the table, and how many catch and release or both. fresh water and salt water fishing topic

for salt water, i for one usually only keep flake, but if their is someone onboard, and i catch a good fish i offer it to them, otherwise i release it.

as for fresh water fish 100% release unless badly hooked.

cheers kurt

P.S

i want to see headps of replies on this topic.

I dont like eating fresh water fish, salt water fish i will keep only if im going to eat it that night.I do like eating Flathead @ Snap but im not a very big fish eater...I rather KFC ;):)

Ditto with me for the freshwater Kurt.

I keep a feed of fish from the saly based on what species and what my requirements are. I usually dont take enough to result in the need to freeze. A couple of fresh meals is all I need :) There are certain species I dont keep though just out of a general appreciation for them. This is purely a induvidual thing though.

Angus

Mate I release 100% of my freshwater fish, except for gar (well so far anyway). Tempted to take an impoundment bass one day just for a taste, but definitely wouldn't take one from the rivers.

When it comes to salt, I usually keep a fish or two from the beach for a feed, if I'm hitting school tailor will usually keep quite a few, as although I find they don't freeze too well for the plate, I will occasionally fillet a few and keep them as back up bait.

I don't have a problem with people keeping fish for a feed, as long as they abide by the rules and do it responsibly (don't waste it!)

I keep a feed of fish from the saly based on what species and what my requirements are. I usually dont take enough to result in the need to freeze. A couple of fresh meals is all I need :) There are certain species I dont keep though just out of a general appreciation for them. This is purely a induvidual thing though.

Angus

There are certain species I dont keep though just out of a general appreciation for them

and what species is that angus

Mate I release 100% of my freshwater fish, except for gar (well so far anyway). Tempted to take an impoundment bass one day just for a taste, but definitely wouldn't take one from the rivers.

When it comes to salt, I usually keep a fish or two from the beach for a feed, if I'm hitting school tailor will usually keep quite a few, as although I find they don't freeze too well for the plate, I will occasionally fillet a few and keep them as back up bait.

I don't have a problem with people keeping fish for a feed, as long as they abide by the rules and do it responsibly (don't waste it!)

very true jords.

i like so far the releasing of fresh water fish

Angus

There are certain species I dont keep though just out of a general appreciation for them

I have released the last couple of Jacks caught. Kept them for a feed previously but just like them to much as a fish, their appearnace and the fight they put up. I am nearly at the same point with Estuary Cod but just love them to much as a feed :P

I will never get on the "you must release Jacks coz they are awesome" bandwagon as people are free to take a feed if they want (subject to size and bag limits). This is just a personal choice.

This can also be system dependent as well. I am reluctant to take any decent sized flatties from Curramundi for example as although the system seems pretty vibrant, I just cant fathom how such a small system could cope with day after day of pillage.

Angus

Angus

I have released the last couple of Jacks caught. Kept them for a feed previously but just like them to much as a fish, their appearnace and the fight they put up. I am nearly at the same point with Estuary Cod but just love them to much as a feed :P

I will never get on the "you must release Jacks coz they are awesome" bandwagon as people are free to take a feed if they want (subject to size and bag limits). This is just a personal choice.

This can also be system dependent as well. I am reluctant to take any decent sized flatties from Curramundi for example as although the system seems pretty vibrant, I just cant fathom how such a small system could cope with day after day of pillage.

Angus

wicked dude

I don't take fish home for a feed all that often, I do like eating fish but usually just couldn't be bothered cleaning, preparing and cooking unless I want to have a few people over for a BBQ. I sometimes wont even take an esky out with me, unless I'm dropping some crab pots out... now thats another story! :lol:

I don't take fish home for a feed all that often, I do like eating fish but usually just couldn't be bothered cleaning, preparing and cooking unless I want to have a few people over for a BBQ. I sometimes wont even take an esky out with me, unless I'm dropping some crab pots out... now thats another story! :lol:

mmmmm crabs, prawns, oysters, lobsters, bugs ect are yummie

Only enough for a feed and only certain species, like 1 mack, or 2 flatties or snaps etc. I go for the pure fact it gets my mind of work and I love fishing.

I don't need a huge feed everytime I go (except squid, I will keep just about everyone of them :evil: ).

I keep the odd fish here and there and try to net any legal crabs that I pull up on my line, then when I have enough I make a kickass chilli and tomato stir fry/ soupy gumbo thingy.....YUM!

But, any flatties between 50cm and 70cm have a date with the deep fryer and beer batter.

Fish like Jew and Jacks usually go back and bream are just there for entertainment in between catching real fish.

I'm lucky to keep one fish a year, there's too many people out there taking my quota and more, plus I also fall into the too lazy to clean it and prepare it group. But i'm partial to some fin when there about mmmmmm.

Cheers

Mark

thats awsom. good to hear.

Only enough for a feed and only certain species, like 1 mack, or 2 flatties or snaps etc. I go for the pure fact it gets my mind of work and I love fishing.

I don't need a huge feed everytime I go (except squid, I will keep just about everyone of them :evil: ).

squid........... pitty their is no icon in the facial expression for drewling lol :silly:

I keep the odd fish here and there and try to net any legal crabs that I pull up on my line, then when I have enough I make a kickass chilli and tomato stir fry/ soupy gumbo thingy.....YUM!

But, any flatties between 50cm and 70cm have a date with the deep fryer and beer batter.

Fish like Jew and Jacks usually go back and bream are just there for entertainment in between catching real fish.

kickass chilli and tomato stir fry/ soupy gumbo thingy.....YUM!

sounds nice and the recipe :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Mate, hot oil in the wok, chuck in some finely diced onions, diced fresh hot chilly(two small ones is enough) and 1.5 teaspoons of minced ginger. Chuck in the crab and once it turns red throw in a handful of diced schallots. Then two cans of italian chopped tomatoes with most the juice from the can. Get all that simmering then chuck in the fish fillets and prawns/calamari ....whatever. Fish turns white......it's cooked.

My kids absolutely love eating fish so I will usually keep enough for a feed for 2 very good reasons:

1) Neither my wife or I work so It's cheaper to catch fish than buy it.

2) if they eat all the fish then it gives me another excuse to go fishing again. :cheer:

Any fish that are kept are always eaten within 48 hours of being caught. I generally will only keep certain species, mostly tailor, shark & flathead. everything else released.

Mate, hot oil in the wok, chuck in some finely diced onions, diced fresh hot chilly(two small ones is enough) and 1.5 teaspoons of minced ginger. Chuck in the crab and once it turns red throw in a handful of diced schallots. Then two cans of italian chopped tomatoes with most the juice from the can. Get all that simmering then chuck in the fish fillets and prawns/calamari ....whatever. Fish turns white......it's cooked.

so shot that for my next seafood dish yum yum yum yum yum yum yum :lol::lol:

My kids absolutely love eating fish so I will usually keep enough for a feed for 2 very good reasons:

1) Neither my wife or I work so It's cheaper to catch fish than buy it.

2) if they eat all the fish then it gives me another excuse to go fishing again. :cheer:

Any fish that are kept are always eaten within 48 hours of being caught. I generally will only keep certain species, mostly tailor, shark & flathead. everything else released.

2) if they eat all the fish then it gives me another excuse to go fishing again

lol, ;love that idea

If it's the right flavour and it's legal I will keep it....fresh or salt. Murray cod being my all-time favourite.

Freezers were made for this and I still think fish taste just as good (sometimes better) after a stint in the cold.

There's quite a few species that I wont waste the knife blade on though -

Bream

Tailor,

Bullies,

Flounder,

Hussar,

vermin,

smaller tuskies,

etc etc

I generally catch and eat (legal sized fish). I prefer not to distress and release.

interesting. can you alaberate on this one, i would ove to hear

I'm not preaching about this as its a rule for me only - let everyone be their own advisor.

I think from the fish's perspective they would rather not be bothered with all the hook in the mouth, frantically swimming around trying to release themselves only to be brought to the surface almost dead with still more pain to endure just for the sport of it, then released with a good chance they will survive. They may see some sport in a bare-knuckles fight in the water, win-takes-all sort of scenario.

If I am going to put another creature through that, I'll try not to extend the fight, bring them to the surface kill them as quickly as I am able and eat them because they taste good and I'm a carnivore.

I won't and don't preach to others; do as you see fit. "There are", as someone has already said, "as many opinions as there are back-sides" and this backside likes pooing fish bits.

I'm partial to fresh fish and so is the missus, so in the salt we keep enough in a session for one feed (eg: 1 cod, 1 fingermark). The rest go back in. We never freeze, and eat the kept fish the same day we catch them, because if we want another fish dinner our producing fishing spots are just 5 minutes drive away. With barra I probably keep one in five fish, only if around 60 to 80 cm, although I haven't kept a barra in about a year (only because I have a barra curse on me and haven't managed to land one in about that long :blush: ). Have kept one large barra (about 1.1m) years ago and it tasted horrible, regretted keeping the big girl and will never keep a big breeder again.

As for the fresh, have never kept a JP in my life as I just admire them too much and am concious of the pressure they are under due to urbanisation and the tilapia scourge. I do keep the odd sooty when camping at tinaroo though as they taste great baked on the coals. All tilapia are killed, usually to be buried in the garden but occassionally I'll fillet a couple of big ones.

my favourite eating fish: jacks, salmon, grunter

my missus favourites: GT's, scad, bream, estuary cod

The only time I will keep anything is if it is too badly hooked to survive anyway but that's only if I'm baiting which is rare these days. Most of the time I only have my rod and a bum bag with me so everything goes back but I reckon I could make an exception for whiting, and occasionally a flathead will hit the pan but rarely.

I rarely fish for flathead but keep them in the 45-55 size range.

Once every year or so in a delirious state I will catch a few whiting and after cleaning the first 5 I am cured of whiting fishing.

I keep snapper I keep sweetlip and I keep cod.

Bass yuk

toga yukker

spangled perch yum, but same problem as whiting

mrc delicious, but illegal

Archived