A reelman and ecat in the big pond

tugger

Set off in good weather with Abureelman and Ellicat this morning bound for blue water to look for the rare pink bream. The wind was light the swell was small and the current was light for our trio in the big pond. We got onto some good pink bream which made us feel all warm and fuzzy to see they are making a comeback from the brink. A few of those spangeled emporor and green jobfish showed up to stretch the arms. Also a mack tuna made a show but not what we were realy after like a kingie or mackerel they must be becoming endagered now. A few moses perch also jumped into our esky to add some variety before Lindsay decided to keep a couple of leather jackets hahahaha oooops sorry mate i can't stop hahahahaha. Brian was the slayer today though doing most of the damage and Lindsay got his fair share of the biguns but i must have left my mojo at home

Here's some shots

post-4390-144598622205_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598622212_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598622216_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598622221_thumb.jpg

Ok, enough of the leatherjacket sledging.

Haven't eaten them for 20yrs when I was in Tassie on hols.

After spending 15 mins extracting the flesh from its natural prison and wondering WyTF I bothered, I took the long trip home and thought, well after all that I better try it. After cooking up some spangled for the mother-inlaw, I threw it in the pan and after slow cooking (because of the thickness) it tasted better than a lot of fish I've tried before.Was it worth the effort? jury still out!!!

Havent' had many oppotunities with the weather lately but i did see a good enough chance on tuesday knowing it wouldn't be glassed out but for the most part it was very calm except the last few hundred meters after you stick your nose out past point lookout on stradie. Then its a short distance to go slow through till you get behind the rock where it is realitivity calm again.

Ellicat is starting to make a habit of out fishing the Skipper. Maybe we should make him swim home next time Mark. Good haul of fish. I would have thought it would have been a little rough out there today.

You have all been fooled. :woohoo: :lol:

A great day out aboard the SS Tugger. First highlight for me was beating the skipper and first mate to the ramp. I did have to take a risky pass at the roundabout to get in front on the way though :pinch: :lol:

AFter the first couple of fruitless retrieves the pressure was applied by the captain to give the braid on spin gear away and do the mono on overhead thing instead. I succumbed to the pressure after the fourth retrieve after witnessing a couple of fish come aboard from Lindsay and Mark.

I had been tricked ! Not having fished mono offshore for a few years the nibbles and takes were harder to pick and a few missed strikes saw me fishless at the end of the first bite session.

I watched Lindsay battle his spaniard then kingie for quite a few minutes that somehow ended up turning into a decent sized mac tuna that also played up a bit around the anchor rope to add to the angst :pinch:

post-564-144598622622_thumb.jpg

I also watched tugger test his shoulder on the spangled. I know why he fishes mono - his shoulder just wouldn't stand up to the lack of stretch in braid. He's just too soft and needs that cushioning effect :whistle: :lol::lol:

post-564-144598622631_thumb.jpg

The lack of action made me vomit breakfast at about 10am but at least it was just a quick one with no lingering seasickness.

Eventually I sneakily hung up the mono stick and went back to my own setup and avoided the donut with quite a few undersize squire, lancer, and a couple of leather jackets the first of which I sent back without checking if Lindsay wanted it. The second was my sole contribution to the esky for the day apart from a bit of blood in the slurry. I hope you enjoy it mate :whistle:

Good to see how and where Mark does it all so successfully I'd certainly jump at the chanc eto do it again.

Thanks lads for a great day out and a very generous split of the take.

I've got some pics and vids to put up later.

You have all been fooled. :woohoo: :lol:

A great day out aboard the SS Tugger. First highlight for me was beating the skipper and first mate to the ramp. I did have to take a risky pass at the roundabout to get in front on the way though :pinch: :lol:

AFter the first couple of fruitless retrieves the pressure was applied by the captain to give the braid on spin gear away and do the mono on overhead thing instead. I succumbed to the pressure after the fourth retrieve after witnessing a couple of fish come aboard from Lindsay and Mark.

I had been tricked ! Not having fished mono offshore for a few years the nibbles and takes were harder to pick and a few missed strikes saw me fishless at the end of the first bite session.

I watched Lindsay battle his spaniard then kingie for quite a few minutes that somehow ended up turning into a decent sized mac tuna that also played up a bit around the anchor rope to add to the angst :pinch:

MarkSpangledEmp.jpg[/attachment]

The lack of action made me vomit breakfast at about 10am but at least it was just a quick one with no lingering seasickness.

Eventually I sneakily hung up the mono stick and went back to my own setup and avoided the donut with quite a few undersize squire, lancer, and a couple of leather jackets the first of which I sent back without checking if Lindsay wanted it. The second was my sole contribution to the esky for the day apart from a bit of blood in the slurry. I hope you enjoy it mate :whistle:

Good to see how and where Mark does it all so successfully I'd certainly jump at the chanc eto do it again.

Thanks lads for a great day out and a very generous split of the take.

I've got some pics and vids to put up later.

Hey elcoit I don't think we were fooled but it was more sheer disbeleafe that you caught more then 1 fish.

Archived