Cold.. wet.. and CATS!

viperon1982

It was drizzling.. it was cold.. it was wet.. it was quite miserable weather for fishing..

Kiara_poltergeist, AngGoLee and I planned a 5am session this early morning at Spot X. :P

0100hrs

Not being able to sleep coz of the excitement of meeting Kiara and AngGoLee and the prospect of meeting someone who actually KNEW how to fish.

0130hrs

Laid in bed 5mins before jumping up, taking a nice shower, prepping my fishing equipment, defrosting my bait etc. Saw the drizzle had lightened considerably for ONCE, and decided to pop by Kayes Rocks just across my place to see what's on.

0215hrs

NADDA, no bites no nuthin. Snagged twice at that.

0300hrs

Back to my fav Regatta spot. 5 bites, 4 snags, lost 4 sinkers, 4 hooks, 4 swivels. :angry: Drizzle becomes heavier.

0400hrs

Enuff's enuff, headed home, removed wet pants, turned up the heater, mucked around on AFO.

0450hrs

Time's up! Drove to meet the guys at Spot X. Drizzle's letting up. AngGoLee and I fished a little w/o luck.

0505hrs

Arrives my \"sensei\" Kiara! First cast of his net, WHAM! Big bream in it! (didn't measure and no pic, but definitely at least 30cm). More casts of the net, a few herrings, and at least half kilo of banaprawns! Largest one at 15cm!!!

0600hrs

AngGoLee has a hookup! BIG and heavy on its end! What is it? Kiara helps bring it in nice and slow. And........ IT\"S A CRAB pOT!!! A relatively new one at that. WITH a small female mud crab too! Catch of the morning! Well done AngGoLee, that pot was definitely a keeper! And of coz, muddie was set free to copulate for our benefits.

0630hrs

Tons of bites on the lines, 1 hookup. AngGoLee gets a small cat.

0640hrs

Something on Kiara's line. Feels big, didn't fight like a cat, could've been an estuary cod. But hook gets bust off! Unlucky!

0700hrs

Kiara has a sudden severe stomach ache! HELP! AngGoLee to the rescue, he ferries Kiara to his place to \"let loose\"!. More burley!

0730-0900hrs

AngoGoLee calls it a day. Kiara returns from his \"business\", and we fish about at Spot X. No hooks up. Lots of small bait nibblers. Could be whitings.

0900hrs

Changed spots, went to one of the St Lucia boat ramp/pontoon. Drizzle's gone. Sun's up! Weather looks promising.

0900-1000hrs

Kiara hooks up a HUGE cattie! At least 50cm across. Decent fighter these cats! For an hour, we get MORE catties. Wat a Waste of the fresh prawns and herrings.

1000hrs

My rod bends and the reel screams off. Is it a threadie!?? It was a real fighter! Didnt feel like a cattie. It was running and running and tugging and tugging. Kiara coaches me on maintaining rod height, pumping and letting the line run. (thanks bro!) I keep fighting..

1005hrs

Fish is still fighting! This was when I realised my 2nd hand rod/reel was NOT up to the task. The rod is missing a guide, and the plastic reel's drag system was HORRIBLE. The drag knob does not stay in place, and when the fish runs, the drag knob gets loosened up and I have to tighten it to reel the fish in!!! Like wtf?!?!?

1010hrs

I'm still fighting! And we still did not know what it was! My left hand was aching from pumping. We were tag-teaming on this fish, me pumping and reeling, Kiara tightening my constantly loosening drag. Hold up, I spot the tail! It looked suspiciously familiar... a fork-tail??? Oh no...

1015hrs

FINALLY, i get it to the surface, oh yeah, BIG PHAT cattie! nooooooooooooo!!! We were SO hoping it was a salmon... *sigh* It was a respectable fight though. My longest fight with a fish so far! All thanks to Kiara that I managed to land it. Oh btw, when i picked it up by its tail with a plier, it flicked, and the top fork of the tail broke! SORRY!! Now I know, that's not the best way to pick it up a giant cattie. Do it from the mouth proper!

1130hrs

Breeze picking up.. dark clouds' blocking out sun rays once again. We fished for a while more. Kiara hooks up another huge cattie! Here we go again! Well, it wasn't much of a problem for an experienced guy like him and his top-end bait-cast equipment! Tons more catties. Argh..

1200hrs

Decided to call it a day. went back to Spot X to cast net for any fellas remaining behind, nope, nuth'in. Sent Kiara home. It was a pretty exciting trip afterall, with my biggest baddest cattie ever! And got quite a few tips and advice from my \"sensei\" Kiara!

Feral wrote:

Did you measure your monster cattie?

Unfortunately we didnt have a measuring tape with us. Kiara took lotsa pics though! Wait for him to post them up! I'm guessing it was at least 60cm? Coz my previous biggest was a 44cm cat so I kinda know how much bigger this was. Sorry man, I so need a measuring tape in my tackle! :blush:

lol, Great story told so well.

I've just got home from donnybrook with no trophy to show for my efforts, altho hope i have a reward in my crab pots in the morning if their still there. (should be, i was the only silly bugger out there tonight) with the rain i had a wish list to catch a couple of muddies, so will let ya's know how i go tomorrow.

8/6/07 Just caught 1 muddy keeper, but risking my pots once more and will leave them in overnight again. Sand crabs were abundant but all under size.

Post edited by: Master Sardines, at: 2007/06/08 14:13

AngGoLee with his trophy muddie from the lost crab trap lol. I'm wondering how long the trap'd been lost, coz the crab was wedged in soo tightly that he couldnt move at all when AngGo took him out lol.. A nice jennie, so we took her mugshot and let her off. 1 free crab pot lol... [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/clarcrab.JPG

post-1023-144598417008_thumb.jpg

I take it spot X is usually good for bream and that??

Unlucky man i know the feeling of being up incredibly early with no reward. for some reason then you hold a grudge against all the guys launching when your coming in cos you know they got to sleep in and they are probably going to get on to something decent :)

sounds sweet as. The brissy river is turning up with some surprises these days. Monster cats, bream in cast nets, amounts of prawns. Looking better and better.

Can't believe you guys went fishing in the rain.....i love my fishing but something about the rain that makes me want to be in bed watching a movie...

Oceandonkey wrote:

I take it spot X is usually good for bream and that??

Unlucky man i know the feeling of being up incredibly early with no reward. for some reason then you hold a grudge against all the guys launching when your coming in cos you know they got to sleep in and they are probably going to get on to something decent :)

alot of fish around there, but personally i've never taken any bream from the river. quite good sized ones around too.

Master Sardines wrote:

lol, Great story told so well.

I've just got home from donnybrook with no trophy to show for my efforts, altho hope i have a reward in my crab pots in the morning if their still there. (should be, i was the only silly bugger out there tonight) with the rain i had a wish list to catch a couple of muddies, so will let ya's know how i go tomorrow.

8/6/07 Just caught 1 muddy keeper, but risking my pots once more and will leave them in overnight again. Sand crabs were abundant but all under size.<br><br>Post edited by: Master Sardines, at: 2007/06/08 14:13

Good on ya Master! 1's always better than non! How big was he? Pics! I've never had the chance to leave a crabpot overnight. I think it's jus too risky, and I'd definitely HATE it if it gets \"thieved\". Damn u criminals! -1000 karma for ur undoings! Don't pass Go, go straight to jail (monopoly)!

Hey Viper,

great report and awesome catty. Don't think I've ever landed one that big, tho I caught one in the Pine River that would have been nudging that size when i was a kid. Not the elusive big threadie, but still great sport. Next big cattie I catch, I'll have to be brave and try your catfish recipe :P

Crusty wrote:

Hey Viper,

great report and awesome catty. Don't think I've ever landed one that big, tho I caught one in the Pine River that would have been nudging that size when i was a kid. Not the elusive big threadie, but still great sport. Next big cattie I catch, I'll have to be brave and try your catfish recipe :P

Thanks man! It prob took me longer than usual coz of the LOUSY equipment I had, well the lousy equipment's going into the basement. I've got my Penn rod/reel combo cheap from Kmart! No giant cat's gonna be a match this time, unless its a Mekong 300kg cat! :P

Archived