Great catch @ Talle Creek 17/6/07

Gordo

Hello everyone

Great conditions on the weekends for a fish hope everyone had a chance to fish. Headed out on Sunday morning for a breakfast bbq with a few uni mates from my old uni. A few of them left for arf training and a couple of us decide to have a fish at Tallebudgera creek around 12. A mate of mine decided that it would be the best to fish on the bridge, so we decided to have a bit of a scroll. After about 45 minutes not a single bite!:angry:

I ran my theory of going to the rocks near the mouth of the river because i caught a few there last time. I convinced them so we decided to go for another walk. We got there about 1 as the tide was coming out and fairly low. We had about 1 and a half bags of prawns left. As soon as my mate (jason) casted out he pulled up a 27cm whiting! 2nd cast he pulled up a 18cm whiting. My mate was 2 ahead of us. We decided to try and no luck for us. Then my mate pulled up 2 good sized black trevally. Soon after that i pulled up a mini flathead, then my other mate (brad) pulled up an even smaller flatty around 12cm lol. Jason had a lucky run going pulling up another 1 small whiting, 1 undersized 28cm flatty, 2 legal bream (23cm , 25cm), 2 black trevally and one unknowned fish which looks exactly like bream but a little different. Then i caught 1 black trevally around 23cm and Brad caught 1 small 17 whiting.

Brad and i looked at each other and knew we got beat! :ohmy: after 2 hours we threw in the towel and decided to head home after a fun day. I will post up the pics tonight or tomorrow night.

Final Tally

Jason :11 fish (3 whiting, 2 bream, 1 unknown, 4 black trevally, 1 flatty)

Me :2 fish (1 small flatty, 1 black trevally)

Brad :2 fish (1 mini flatty, 1 small whiting)

Cowfish13 wrote:

Um, no offence, and it may just be another name for it (if it is, sorry) but the \"Black Trevally\" is actually a \"Happy Moment\". A very painful fish.

Yeah thats what my mate keep on referring them to. The spikes look so painful. Happy moment indeed if you got stabbed

Anyone know someone that got stabbed by a \"happy moment\"?:evil:

Me, many times. Once one of our friends had his entire hand swell up from one spike, but he's a bit weak and he is probably allergic to some poisons more than others. Also, when I was trying to release one, it kicked just as I was returning it to the water and I got 7 spikes in my palm. But it didn't swell up at all, except for a tiny bit around each spike.

They are incredibly painful, but are good sport on light gear.

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/06/18 22:34

I Once pulled up a baitjig at redcliffe jetty with 3 on it, as i lifted the jig to reach the bottom one, the top one swung in and got 4 spikes right in my eyebrow... each spike stings like a beesting. I sat on the jetty with a frozen mullet on my eye to dull the pain, just as the japanese tourists were boarding a boat heading over to moreton... Im sure they were wondering why the wacky aussie fisherman was doing.

Iv got a mate like that, always catches more fish than anybody else. We have realised, he is Italian and doesn't wear any sunscreen, but the rest of us load up on the stuff. Possibly the smell of the cream on the bait makes it less attractive to the fish.

Aah suck it up ya whingers! Got a few hits in the hand down at wello by the endless happy moments we were pulling in, stung a bit, but just got on with it.

But like a blue bottle sting really.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/06/19 12:13

pcsolutionman wrote:

Yep Ive been done by one but it was alot more painful than any bee sting I have ever got. My hand swelled up like a balloon and the pain was excruciating, I actually thought I might have to go to hospital because the swelling had not gone down after 24 hours.

Lee

You sound exactly like our friend. Not the weak part, but his swollen hand hadn't gone down for a couple of days. Was kinda funny

i found one the hard way once some body had dropped a happy on the jetty and it got caught in a crack with its spikes sticking up..... i knelt on it... then i jumped up, jumped around swearing and jumped on it with both feet....

bastards hurt real bad even when they are dead and dried out.

i fished and snorkelled tallebudgera creek on a fanatical basis from 1970 to 1993 and have never seen a happy moment in there. plenty of other things that sting(fortescues,bullrouts,lion fish,stargazers and blue ringed occys)but never a happy moment

Hey Jeff we probably got lucky and a school of them where swimming past. We ended up pulling up 5 in that session. Good fighting fish for its size. I snorkelled there a couple of times as well and saw a few interesting things myself (a massive trevally! 60+, sea snakes, blue rings)

So many painful stories about happy moments. Are you suppose to take the spikes out before you cook them or carefully after you cook it?

Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/06/20 15:41

Gordo wrote:

Hey Jeff we probably got lucky and a school of them where swimming past. We ended up pulling up 5 in that session. Good fighting fish for its size. I snorkelled there a couple of times as well and saw a few interesting things myself (a massive trevally! 60+, sea snakes, blue rings)

So many painful stories about happy moments. Are you suppose to take the spikes out before you cook them or carefully after you cook it?<br><br>Post edited by: Gordo, at: 2007/06/20 15:41

try cutting the spikes off with a pair of sidecutters or scissors, of filleting with a long bladed knife and a glove

Archived