NPD 14th/07

Tim a

Hey guys,

Got dropped off at forgans at around 11 this morning only to find a major lack of water and like 10 dead fish (only 1 bass thank god!)

I called mother to see if she wanted to drive me to mcgavins but she was at home. Hmm what to do, theres no water here, and fish need water, last fishing trip for a few weeks, Ahh screw it I'm walking to Macgavins, so from the old G-spot to Mc Gavins I went.

Took just over an hour of walking at a brisk pace. Got to down to my new favourite spot and started casting my new favourite bass lure, 1/4 ounce special Green Nitro Jigheads with colour 117 Ecogear Grassminnows, I only like using them as they are cheaper than g-vibes, but I don't look like a bogan when using them ! :P

Sorry to all you Vibe lovers.

Started casting out the sp for a few mins when I met Robski, Nice to meet you :), We were casting for about 20 mins before Robski hooked up to a nice 30cm bass on the Vibe and it looked like that long walk was going to be wasted until I hooked up to a nice 40 cm bass about 10 minutes later, I then hooked and landed 2 more including 1 waiting for the lure to hit the bottom which was pretty cool. I then left to go have a look at the dam wall but the only thing I could find here was heaps of dead and nearly dead tillapia, you could see them dieing in the water, if they were bass I woulda been crying!

So yeah for all you guys who want an even cheaper way to catch bass, chuck on an softy or if your as cool as troy a slug!

I think the bass are slowing down a little or the school has moved on.

Yeeeehaa post # 1000!

Thanks [img size=455]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bass_40cm.JPG

Post edited by: Tim a, at: 2007/07/14 20:37

post-96-144598421015_thumb.jpg

Hey Tim, it was good to see you there.

Slow as day for me, turning downright horrible when that cold wind started to come through. Only managed three bass today.

This was the best of them, on the green/black striped G-Vibe. Fought damn hard too!

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/img_3094.jpg

Strange how those Tilapia are either dead or dying on mass like that. Wonder why...?

post-803-144598421018_thumb.jpg

Well done fellas, least you got a few!

Got to meet ya briefly as well Tim!

I got out there about 2 to meet keinchen and alshilux who'd been out there since 11 or so, kevin had one bass tallied up, and when i got there the boys were playing with tillapia at the dam wall (apperently the tillapia were taking empty jigheads) I proceded to put my g-vibe straigth back to where i found it, and that snag was the only thing that made my rod bend all arvo.

I was there till 6, threw almost every type of lure al over mcgavins but to dam bas for me! maybe next time

Ferg and I went out this morning, fished \"the Spot\", well as close as we could, was a family there with about 20 set lines spread along there.

Did not get a touch, worked between there and the wall, gave it up and went down to Forgans, worked all along the eastern side there as well for not a touch there either.

werewolf wrote:

bummer to hear that the hot bite is slowing down, I was thinking of getting out there in the near future too lolB)

at least you still landed a bass tim!!!

3 actually :P

I'm not sure if the fish aren't just figuring out that something that makes as much noise as a jackall or gay vibe is too good to be true? Every other lure fisho I saw was using the noisy lures and only got a few. Nice bass Rob! Kicked mines but!

Also good to meet you bullrout.

As usual I saw the 'different culture' with their usual 19 rods between 4 people, thats right I counted, I had a look in their bucket on the way past, thats a sure way to see if they've caught anything, and there was nothing in there! That means my 1 rod caught more than their 19. When I walked past where they were after they left I found stacks of line, plastics bags and a few hooks and decided I should probaly pick it up. Next time I see them leave this much sheet on the ground I'm gonna go nuts.

Thats my whinge for the month!

those Korean actually got 2 bass and 3 huge yellowbelly in MCGAVIN VIEW with 9 rods.

the way they fish r just deadly on yellowbelly.

10-20 lines means 10-20 live yabbie crawling over a nice big area. they did find some good spots where my 15g slugs took 20-30seconds to hit the bottom

with bit of patience, all yellowbelly on the mood in that particular time will be taken, they just cannot ignore a live yabbie staying there for hours.

still, i find lure fishing a better approach if only i didn't lose 10 slugs, 2 vibs and 2 minnows in 3 trips.

You musn't have seen the same guys Kevin, I counted the rods as I walked by. They were pretty nice, asked how I was and if I had caught anything.

I've never been checked by the ranger or fisheries, I've never even seen either of them.

Terry, your allowed 4 set lines each, those I saw today did not exceed that. Unlike the woman and two other blkes who ignored the no fishing sign, and kept going!

They were nice blokes, I was having a yarn with the father (father, grandfather and two kids in group I saw.) They got 10 the other day, nothing today.

ha ha

i did see some guys crossing the no fishing sign and they managed a fish!:blink:

i fished by the no fishing sign( never cross it) days before and managed 3 nice bass

generally, i rank my fishing spots by telling how many seconds a 15g slug on 8lb line take to hit the bottom.by the no fishing sign, there is a deepest hole of 24 seconds and a significant rise to 8 seconds only. all fish taken between the deep and shallow parts.;)

right opposite the sign the lure takes 18seconds...

walk to the dam wall, 18-10-8-.......-24-35!!!-30!!!-30!!! then 20 till the wall.

ha ha

a reference of where the fish should be.

Feral wrote:

Ferg and I went out this morning, fished \"the Spot\", well as close as we could, was a family there with about 20 set lines spread along there.

Did not get a touch, worked between there and the wall, gave it up and went down to Forgans, worked all along the eastern side there as well for not a touch there either.

Lol, you a probably right about that.

Went out again for an hour and a half today and caught nothing.

My friend sent me another picture of yesterdays fish:

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF4120savy.jpg

post-803-1445984214_thumb.jpg

well everyones already said it about NP on Saturday.. it was a good to meet kevin and ben, but it was slow day, apart from the tilapia session near the dam wall. (I figured if I couldn't catch a bass i'd do my bit to remove some of the hundreds of tilapia schooled near the wall.. got some big mofo's too..) then went back to bass fishing and caught nothing.

cheers to kevin for teaching me more about baitcasters and freshwater fishing in general.

There seems to be a massive amount of rubbish and other crap ditched on the banks, I've never seen so many cat food cans and bongs in one place. It'd be nice if the fisho's going down setting traps for yabbies took their crap with them. Seems only fair doesn't it? If you're taking the yabbies, take your bait cans too.. I'll get off my high horse.

I think that's a good idea jeff, i'd be in for that.

I was also thinking with the massive amounts of tilapia schooling near the damn wall, if you were allowed to use a cast net we could remove a sh!tload very quickly. Return the bass and whatever else you catch and just try and get rid of as many tilapia as possible?

jeff f wrote:

maybee we should organise a fishing and cleanup day at np everyone bring a garbage bag and fill it. it would probably get media coverage and would be damned good publicity for the site

What about shultz canal i reckon you could fill a 20L bucket with tennis balls and about 50 bags of rubbish. still a proven fish spot though:dry:

two ways without a cast net

1, 12-15 feet rod, 12lb line, 6lb leader( important) with a float. mix some berley with flour to make it stay on hook. have a bit of berley and fish that spot. that's what we do in China. 200 fish a hour tells something( 1lbers, not the 3-5lbers in npd)

2,a M to MH 6-7feet rod, 10-20lb line. no leader. a owner cultiva triple hook:lol: with a fixed sinker.

a physical excercise i call it;)

both very productive.

i will be in if anyone can give a pick up.

Don't tell any of my friends but I'll come to the clean up day. I'll go fish at dawn, then clean around midday, then fish at dusk, all tho, I'm thinking the bass are biting better at midday at the moment. hmm anyone else got some ideas?

Archived