Offshore fishermans gym unstopables

tugger

Got a call late from a mate late last night to go fishing after we got back from somerset dam he starts with the weather is perfect lets go offshore. Yeah but aren't you stuffed from the weekend like i am was my reply and his response was yeah but (repeated) the weather is perfect so my arms bent and i'm getting up at 4am to go fishing today.

We flew across a flat bay and crossed a calm bar with the top of the tide only an hour away and made our way to get some livies to shag rock. At the next spot which i now have to rename the fishermans gym we come across a crazywalrus and a sick looking ecat which i had to ask why he never rang me for a booking at my gym but after he paid his membership the boat was allowed to stay.

Onced settled we set about getting the gym equipment ready and sent down the weights which soon found willing participents to help stech our arms a little longer. The first said fish found its way back to its reef even with heavy strain applied (as they say now pain no gain).

The next fish wasn't going to be so lucky as i was feeling stronger after the warm up and i fixed it little red wagon with my trusty ugly stik and overhead with 30lb mono straight through.

post-4390-144598753018_thumb.jpg

My mate Terry and i kept at it losing the arm struggle with many bigger models and the tally was definately in the fishes favour

Cobia 15 to Fisherman 3

Terry was using some flash spinning reel that has 18kilo drag and had 80lb braid with both of us just getting smashed by these brutes even with the drags screwed right up. On 1 fish I thought Terry might get pulled out of the boat as we had just screwed the drag up more on his flash reel it was by far the biggest we encounted.

These fish all knew where the reef was and all made a b line for it giving us much pain in the process(again no pain no gain) so we came away satisfied and exhausted.

The weather was perfect like he promised and we put on a show for the surrounding boats all morning hope to do it like that again soon as i just love the arm wrestle on big gear heavy drag and the fish big enough to nearly pull you out of the boat. Terry had an fishing almanac onboard and i did read it was a black day today which is the best days to get your workouts from

post-4390-14459875303_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598753037_thumb.jpg

Nice cobia there Mark - I didn't realise they had such a big tail. My old boy got sharked by one off Yeppoon a couple of months ago - got an 8kg head (well head plus another few cm's behind the gills) back so was not happy!!!!! For interests sake, what is the heaviest line you use when you get done by these unstoppables?

I hope Princess Ellicat (if that is her real name) is OK? Go any good Ted?

Nice cobia there Mark - I didn't realise they had such a big tail. My old boy got sharked by one off Yeppoon a couple of months ago - got an 8kg head (well head plus another few cm's behind the gills) back so was not happy!!!!! For interests sake, what is the heaviest line you use when you get done by these unstoppables?

Good to catch up Mark.

Here is the only picture of PRINCESS ELLICAT B) Brian has the rest so I guess they will not surface

post-7418-14459875312_thumb.jpg

Good to catch up Mark.

Here is the only picture of PRINCESS ELLICAT B) Brian has the rest so I guess they will not surface

[attachment=46379]WP_000018_2012-02-07.jpg[/attachment]

haha Brian, what's your excuse,"planking" :P

....and now the truth...

I was crook first thing in the morning within minutes of leaving the ramp at Viccy Point. I was crook before we were half way to Peel on a bay that was a flat as Herman Munster's head. No explanation but that's as crook as I have been in more than 10 years. That time I was being broadcast from the Barwon Banks over my mates radio as I perpetually loudly explained how I was feeling to the sea surface.

Oh well, you get days like that.

With typical mate compassion, Ted recorded some memories :whistle:

post-564-144598753136_thumb.jpg

Moments of euphoria occurred immediately following one of the releases

post-564-144598753146_thumb.jpg

Ted caught this just to make me bend over to get the net. (How I yearned for the old days when he didn't want it ;) )

post-564-144598753155_thumb.jpg

You will notice how rough the conditions were :blink:

Nice to meet up with Shane and Abdul and of course the owner of the rock/cage/gym and his mate Reel deal (Trev ?) Quite enjoyable to see you guys getting busted off.

Thanks Ted for something (not quite sure what yet :P )

Working on the video Ted.

Lance, ...and to think I was asking after your health yesterday :evil: Ted did a good job on his own just with his sub-standard driving :lol:

I got home with a sunburnt head and the wife said to me "You didn't wear your hat again did you ?!

I said "You can't wear a hat when you're vomiting ! Also it proves my point about getting burnt from reflection off the water as that's all I looked at all bloody day !. I'm off to bed." :evil: :lol:

try going for a swim next time boys...

:evil: :evil: Try putting a sock in it :evil: :evil: :lol::lol: Have you ever tried swimming with rubber arms and jelly legs ? :pinch:

Ted also got a cracker of a pearlie. Here's a pic (video to come later). It put such a bend in his rod we thought for sure it was a catshark ;) :silly: :lol: .

post-564-144598753166_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598753178_thumb.jpg

post-564-144598753187_thumb.jpg

The trip over the bar was cool as well with one wave standing up nice and tall almost about to the curl over stage. Ted hit it nicely and the hangtime we had over the back of it seem to last an age. More hangtime than Ned Kelly before we touched down with a bang and continued on. WooHooo ! hahaha

Thats a big perlie ted i didnt think it was that big when you showed it to me.

You have to take me there one day. I wanna catch one

My mate felt sick atin the morning but i told him to hold it in cz we werent going home no time soon. His options were clear man up n stay in boat or get dropped of to island.

Good times

It must have been a huge school of cobes under are boat most of the day it was good fun they would take 3 to 4 runs for the bottom before reefing us when they new they were hooked it was hang on as hard as you can

i could only imagine how much fun u blokes were all having out there whilst i was enjoying the calm still conditions inland! was a stinkin hot day.

awesome pearly ted, how many metres of water? the hot cobia bite sounds like fun!!

Archived