Nth Pine Dam trips

adventure_angler

G'day all,

well I have been to North Pine Dam a few times over the last week or so but am yet to put any reports up. Better late than never i spose.

The first trip was late afternoon between 2 and 5 and resulted in 30 bass for me and 44 bass for my mate. My bass were caught on gold G-Vibes and slugs, with my mate using Jackalls.

The next trip resulted in me catching 11 bass and my mate catching 14.

The next day we went back and we both managed 9 bass. Other guys fishing right alongside us managed 3-5 each on a mixture of Jackalls, sp's and spinnerbaits.

We were back at it again today and ran into James. Good to see you again and catch-up mate. It was the slowest session in a long time with very little action all arvo. I only pulled in 2 small bass, including the smallest bass I have ever caught. My mate only got 1.

While walking the bank we saw countless numbers of dead Tilapia lying on the bank and 3 only 2m out that were about to die.

Along with the ever increasing numbers of dead Tilapia we have noticed the bass seem to be shutting down greatly of late. Hopefully they will be back in action soon.

-nelson-

They are Boney Bream, one of the main sources of food for Bass.

Nelson: Did one of the Bass spit it up when you caught it? A lot of them were doing it last time I was out there, spitting out one's two's and three's of them. Good work on that 1st session, go the slugs ;) .

Troy

Troy, nah James just found it lying on the edge of the water dead. Hopefully they are not following the same path as the Tilapia, could be very bad for the Bass.

Another interesting story was that one afternoon a guy fishing next to us hooked up with a MASSIVE Lungfish that quickly broke off after rising to the surface and flipping around. It was by far the biggest Lungfish I have seen.

-nelson-

Cowfish13 wrote:

Werewolf- I don't think that the Red Claw will let them become a pollution problem. Maybe all of the poo that they produce might, but I doupt that the Tilapia bodies will even get to a rotting stage.

And also heaps of them are actually on the bank, not just floating around. I rekon your onto something here, if this happens every year it's probly why there are so many big red claw.

If at night, yes. During the day, a fair bit more difficult. We've caught 3 from 2 trips. But, in unmarked pots that we have either found or caught while casting lures, we have caught 6 more, meaning that they have accidentally crawled in during the night, and have been unable to get out..

Jordan has tried swimming them out during the day and he caught 9 or something in one pot.

Archived