The AFO assault on the rock

tugger

A group of the boys from the site set off from cleveland on Anzac day to fish offshore there was myself with Callum and Terry in my boat, Lance Eddie and Zane in his boat, Rob and Mick in his boat, Tim and Dion in his boat, Declan Jacob and Ted in his boat.

The plan was simple a quick run across the calm bay to the bar cross it safely and hit the rock for pelagics and reefies. The first part was easy with the bay flat as a tack but the bar had a diferent ideas with 3 of us getting through without a bump but when i slowed down outside to look around to watch the rest come though i saw a big wave stand up in front of Ted and Zanes boats.

The 2 boats punched through a breaker but the boys stayed sqaure on and the baots came through the other side and once they were through we went over to see if they were alright. Teds crew were smiling and probably thought that was a better ride than you get a the ekka Zanes crew were wet as shags and still doing their hail mary's.

After a quick chat we headed for the rock i anchored up close to the rock and noticed the current roaring big baits were deloyed on the surface then we got down to floatlining. Terry was first on the board with a good spangeled emperor going 80cm

post-4390-144598787647_thumb.jpg

There was plenty of time in between fish as it was slow for us today but then i finally got on the board with a pigeon pair spangeled another going 80cm

post-4390-144598787657_thumb.jpg

Terry got a great parrot going 55cm and Callum got a good snapper to round out the box for the day, we lost plenty of unstopables and i went through half a box of hooks on them they were that tough today.

The weather was excellent only getting to 10knots most of the day and we got a good run home with us crossing the bar with Mick on the last of the run out tide pasing the rufus king wreck on the way through.

Here's a couple of the boys nearby out there and Callum got plenty more photos that i'm sure he will add

post-4390-144598787662_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598787667_thumb.jpg

Was a good Day out. The Bar crossing was interesting. Those last three waves really stood up. I was lucky the waves broke just in front of me on the last two so I did not get as vertical as Zano. It was amazing to watch them in the corner of my eye as they hit the wave. Did not look good. luckily my boat cuts through the wave and not raise up so much.

We had a good day but did not get a lot of fish in. We had one unstoppable however brief and a dozen little under size squire heaps of lancer and trigger fish. We did manage one keeper going mid 40s.

Great to catch up with you all.

It wasn't a pleasant experience.

We ahd a big wave at least 2m come over Xpectation with Zano at the helm, crossing had gone fine with tugger, mick fillet and tuggers mate in front of us, and Ted behind us, and this thing just stood up, crashed over the bow, bent bimini, also did a little bit of damage to the bow, all of us got saturated ( I had water in my shoes) and the anchor got washed out of the well and into the drink. Luckily Zano saw this, Lance and I got up the front and began to retrieve,then zano motored slowly to get us over the crest of the next one with me and Lance still out the front as there was no time to get back and we didn't want the hatch open. Zano did very well, and I was surprised how a relatively trouble free and easy crossing turn bad so quick.

It was a great day out with a great bunch of guys.

It's been a long time since I had to face up to a narky bar and not be the man behind the wheel but in the end Zane did a great job to get his crew and boat through it as safely as possible with minimal damage and loss.

I think the best thing was Zane listened to and did everything I suggested when needed and between us we got out safely.

So many guys out there think their boats are bullet proof and their skills are endless and yesterday was a priceless lesson for 2 guys who have never experienced a bit of a sea on a bar crossing before.

I think we now have 2 skippers in Zano and Fast Eddie who now fully understand how quickly a good situation can turn very nasty and possibly life threatening within a matter of seconds.

Yesterday has made them both better skippers now armed with the knowledge to never take the sea for granted,especially when crossing a bar.

That wave hit us so hard that it made the alloy sheets on the hull pop in and when they popped back out it knocked the bog out of the welds and also down the bow line it cracked all the paint and bog that was used to dress up the welds.

The main frame of the bimini was bent and I have no idea how the canvas top was not shredded or clean ripped off.

Everything in the boat was thrown everywhere and so much water came over us and into the boat that even the front cabin was full of water.

When it hit us with the force that it did, in that split second I was waiting for the windscreen to be punched in but thankfully it held in place.

I think the worst part was when the anchor chain and rope was thrown out of the anchor well on the next set of waves.

We had to literally stop dead in the middle of the bar and retrieve the rope and chain before we could go any further so I made a split second decision to go onto the bow and try and get it back.

I was more than confident that we just far enough out to hopefully be over that point where the waves were beginning to break otherwise I would never have gone onto the bow of a boat in the middle of a bar.

Eddie went through the front hatch and I scampered around the outside and luckily we got it all back and on the move again before we got crunched by another set.

We still punched over 3 huge waves while I was hanging on up the front but we finally got out safely and in one piece.

I copped a heap of cuts and bruises for the troubles but nothing too major.

The trip back in later in the day was during the run out tide and again the bar was a bit narky with a lot of pressure waves.

We had 2m waves breaking the entire length of the South Passage Bar so after about 20 minutes of looking and assessing the different areas to head in we picked our spot and lined her up and waited for the lull.

All the way in it was like being inside a washing machine with waves breaking all around us but we picked it perfectly and we ended up having quite a cruisey trip in.

We ended up bringing home 7 fish for a feed so all ended well.

Anyway thanks to Zane and Eddie and all the other guys for a great day out.

The bar was bigger on tuesday when we went through but its all about timing and reading the swells before you make your run and we had no troubles both days in a row but like everyone has said don't underestermate the power of those waves. We had a day a few months back with Shane in my boat and we turned around after i made the call it was to hairy and we fished the bay for the morning then gave it another go at lunch time when the tide started to run in again as its better to be safe than sorry.

well well well.......... what a day! :woohoo:

the incident on the bar was not much fun but was an experience i needed to have and i will definately be better for it. in that 10 seconds i learnt a hell of alot ;)

only cosmetic damage sustained to the boat, the bent bimini straightened out nicely and the cracked paint just adds a little character.

was great to have lance along with his extensive experience on bars and big seas, neither him nor eddie panicked at any stage and they were straight out the front to retrieve the anchor when it went over in the middle of the bar. It was good to then have a discussion about it and digest what happened and to point out things i did wrong and right.

they were both extremely positive about it all and it was great :) recommend them both as TOP deckies.

As lance said, in the end we managed to put a few fish away which was good.

was good to catch up with all the boys again and i look forward to getting out there again!!!

NOW...........who wants a deckie spot??? :P:blink:

The bar was bigger on tuesday when we went through but its all about timing and reading the swells before you make your run and we had no troubles both days in a row but like everyone has said don't underestermate the power of those waves. We had a day a few months back with Shane in my boat and we turned around after i made the call it was to hairy and we fished the bay for the morning then gave it another go at lunch time when the tide started to run in again as its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for leading the way other day mate. I have learnt alot from you.

The bar was interesting in the Tuesday morning we made it through safetly.

There was a few close calls but yeah. We held on.

The bar on the way back was the worst i have even seen. So much pressure waves.

I thought we were going to be spending night behind shag rock with the trawellers.

Times like those im glad i got a two stroke.

Seeing rufus king on the side of my eye scared the day lights out of me too. I was so happy to be back inside.

Again it was a good learning experience.

I just wish the fishing was better that day.but oh well thats fishing.

You guys did well. Nice spangles

Shane

Shane

the incident on the bar was not much fun but was an experience i needed to have and i will definately be better for it. in that 10 seconds i learnt a hell of alot ;)

only cosmetic damage sustained to the boat, the bent bimini straightened out nicely and the cracked paint just adds a little character.

was great to have lance along with his extensive experience on bars and big seas, neither him nor eddie panicked at any stage and they were straight out the front to retrieve the anchor when it went over in the middle of the bar. It was good to then have a discussion about it and digest what happened and to point out things i did wrong and right.

they were both extremely positive about it all and it was great :) recommend them both as TOP deckies.

As lance said, in the end we managed to put a few fish away which was good

was good to catch up with all the boys again and i look forward to getting out there again!!!

Il come Zano. We go out wide though :whistle:

As lance said, in the end we managed to put a few fish away which was good.

Mate, I'll take a deckie spot with you any time. Be warned though, I can't match up with Lance when it comes to knowledge or with Eddie when it comes to bravery - I'd have cut your anchor rope and paid to replace it when we were home safe :P

That being said, let's go fishing!

I don't know about fish magnet but its a whale magnet as they just like to get stuck on the anchor rope a bit

Pesky whales

Tugger, that boat of yours is a fish magnet. Well done again.

Cheers,

Steve

Are you saying they come in so close to your rock? If so then I will never drop the pick there...

Whales while migrating past brisbane come right into the bay as well as close to the headlands offshore they are just getting thicker each year and get a bit close sometimes and after my little misadventure with one towing me along on my anchor rope i will keep a knife handy to cut loose quickly

zano u should of had kevins kc by the sounds of it...we stayed in the bay and got onto the macks.think it was 9 schoolies and 1 spottie...they where hard to find but we got 7 schoolies and a spottie in 1/2 hr when we found them...am fishing the wilson's raby bay boat club comp next weekend hope the weather is a bit kinder than it has been.... deffinatly wakes you up when u get one through the windscreen

cheers rosco

zano u should of had kevins kc by the sounds of it...we stayed in the bay and got onto the macks.think it was 9 schoolies and 1 spottie...they where hard to find but we got 7 schoolies and a spottie in 1/2 hr when we found them...am fishing the wilson's raby bay boat club comp next weekend hope the weather is a bit kinder than it has been.... deffinatly wakes you up when u get one through the windscreen

cheers rosco

i may as well use his KC for him cos he never bloody uses it!!!

the macks still hanging around the sandhills? good little half hour session there!

this weather is shocking, it is absolutely belting down! rainwater tank is full again but

ur not wrong about one through the windscreen waking u up, we were all wide eyed after that!

have to get ur pots in around the mouth of the river this week after this rain!

Have a look at this one Zane.

Bring back memories,lol

/>http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/news/local/news/general/skippers-take-on-big-bar-waves-at-narooma/2518086.aspx

:sick: :woohoo: :woohoo: sure does! i saw this bashing around on the intenet this morning as well. there is another photo of some boat on the same bar that must have just absolutely floored it over the wave without backing off given the departure angle and hangtime!

Have a look at this one Zane.

Bring back memories,lol

/>http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/news/local/news/general/skippers-take-on-big-bar-waves-at-narooma/2518086.aspx

:sick: :woohoo: :woohoo: sure does! i saw this bashing around on the intenet this morning as well. there is another photo of some boat on the same bar that must have just absolutely floored it over the wave without backing off given the departure angle and hangtime!

that would have been us if we were in Fast Eddie mate :woohoo:

Archived