Flounder Meuniere

Doobsy

Or flounder in butter, lemon and caper sauce...

Step 1. Catch said flounder. (This was a first for me and thus a PB!)

post-4593-144598799923_thumb.jpg

Step 2. Scale and gut.

post-4593-14459879993_thumb.jpg

Step 3. Score top side, season with a little salt and pepper, put a little knob of butter on the underside, grill for 5 minutes, flip, add a little more butter and grill on the top side for another 5 or so minutes or until you can see the skin crisp and start to brown.

post-4593-144598799939_thumb.jpg

Step 4. As the fish is resting, throw a good knob of butter in a saucepan, add a teaspoon of baby capers and a good squeeze of lemon and some chopped parsley.

post-4593-144598799946_thumb.jpg

Step 5. Plate the fish and spoon over the sauce.

post-4593-144598799953_thumb.jpg

Step 6. (Optional) Serve with some beer battered Cod goujons and shoestring fries.

post-4593-14459879996_thumb.jpg

Don't forget the lemon cheeks, tartare and a crisp Sauv Blanc to cut through the fat or a super cold Super Dry. ;)

They do have bones but eat them like any fish off the bone being aware of the skeleton shape
/>http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/getimage.exe?CISOROOT=/fishimages&CISOPTR=47582&DMSCALE=37.06100&DMWIDTH=802&DMHEIGHT=560.36229205176&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&REC=1&DMTHUMB=0&DMROTATE=0

I have heard that they are good eating but the only time i kept one and fried it up the thing nearly choked me to death with bones.. did you have the same problem?

Mate I found flounder easy bone wise.

The skeleton seems to lift out in one whole part.

Angus

I have heard that they are good eating but the only time i kept one and fried it up the thing nearly choked me to death with bones.. did you have the same problem?

Mate I found flounder easy bone wise.

The skeleton seems to lift out in one whole part.

Angus

I must just be a messy eater then ..

Yep. Heaps of bones but pretty easy to remove.

Fork into the top side and into the flesh. Remove the "rib cage" then lift the main skeleton away an dig in to the bottom half.

Not a massive fish but a decent plate-sized meal for one. The boneless cod Goujons were for the wife. ;)

A great dish and you'd pay top dollar at a restaurant for it.

Cheers,

Doobs.

Archived